PSA don't leave your keys in your truck

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I know...obvious. My truck was stolen right out front of my house on Sunday afternoon. Long story short, I was able to track the truck within minutes. It ended up in a nearby sh*t hole with a P.D. who didn't care. So, I stole it back (despite my wife's protest). The perpetrator plugged his phone into the usb c port and I can see their phone and carrier, however I am unable to see the serial number of the phone. I suspect it is stored somewhere in the sync system. Does anyone know if this is viewable with forescan, or Ford tech software?
So the guy who stole it still has your key? How do you keep him from driving it away again? I'd be worried about getting it recoded and getting a new key. Never encountered a police department who wouldn't recover a stolen vehicle if they knew where it was...something doesn't add up here.
Sponsored

mikes

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 hondas
So the guy who stole it still has your key? How do you keep him from driving it away again? I'd be worried about getting it recoded and getting a new key. Never encountered a police department who wouldn't recover a stolen vehicle if they knew where it was...something doesn't add up here.
my guess is he hadnt reported it stolen yet, just tracked the location and expected them to go get it

OP
OP

Axehole

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Pilot
Well Sherlock, if you ever get the chance to visit Oakland California you might understand why the cops don’t give an F about a stolen car. The story is a bit longer than I can detail on a post but yes, the truck being stolen again was a concern. I parked the truck at a secure location until the Ford dealer could rekey the vehicle. What isn’t captured in the video was me walking inside literally seconds before the video started. I usually don’t leave the truck running with the keys in it. But I’m sure I’m not the only one who hasn’t gone back inside to get something etc. Be careful out there-

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I travel to Oakland for work, yes, I'm not surprised at anything that goes on out there. Glad you got it back.

Sponsored

22Platinum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR 3.5
Occupation
software engineer
does hitting the 7/8 & 9/0 keys simultaneously lock the vehicle like other Fords?

I know I can lock my dog in the car with it running using the above command on an 03 Lincoln Town Car

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
does hitting the 7/8 & 9/0 keys simultaneously lock the vehicle like other Fords?

I know I can lock my dog in the car with it running using the above command on an 03 Lincoln Town Car
Yup!
Ford F-150 PSA don't leave your keys in your truck Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 10.44.37 AM

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Well Sherlock, if you ever get the chance to visit Oakland California you might understand why the cops don’t give an F about a stolen car. The story is a bit longer than I can detail on a post but yes, the truck being stolen again was a concern. I parked the truck at a secure location until the Ford dealer could rekey the vehicle. What isn’t captured in the video was me walking inside literally seconds before the video started. I usually don’t leave the truck running with the keys in it. But I’m sure I’m not the only one who hasn’t gone back inside to get something etc. Be careful out there-
Wow...sure glad I don't live in Oakland...and It's "Mr. Holmes" to you, sir...

I've started out somewhere and remembered something I left behind and do a quick turnaround back to the house. I usually pull into the driveway and leave my truck running while I go into the house to grab whatever I left. I usually do a glance around before running in, but I can see how quickly it can happen.

Glad you got it back quickly. My next door neighbor left his keys in his 1 yr old truck over night a couple of years back, truck was unlocked, and it was gone when he got up in the morning. Minneapolis police recovered it a few days later, a couple of older teens driving it, but it had been beat to S*** and insurance totaled it. They didn't prosecute the kids....

Last edited:

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
I just wish the vehicle had a walk away locking feature like many other vehicles do. Get out and walk way with the fob and the vehicle auto-locks within 7 seconds. (I haven't checked to see if this is a recent feature, but when I checked last year it wasn't.)
Secure Idle in ForScan. Won't help if the key is left in the truck.
This coupled with disabling the honk when leaving the engine running while walking away is nice. Wife and kid can stay in the truck with the key in my pocket, no honk.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER (ordered)
how did they know the keys were in it when they pulled up?

Was it left running?

Trying to figure out how they identified it to be targeted.
In this scenario, it appears as though the running lights were on.

That sill begs the question, though, as to whether they were following him around town waiting or if people leaving their vehicles unattended is at such levels that LA thieves can just drive around in vans stealing cars all day.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
If you leave your keys in the truck anytime/anyone that walks buy your truck will know the keys are in it because the sensors turn the lights on and a small noise is made. Happens all the time when I'm washing my truck or I quick park in in the driveway leave the keys in it and shut it off. Everytime I walk near the doors it lights up. Has me wondering if in the first drive by the had seen it light up and new it was ready to boost..

ssimpala1901

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PowerBoost 2015 EB Mustang
Occupation
Navy Vet
Totally unrelated, but a fun story anyway, my brother lets an ex-girlfriend borrow his '96 Suburban, this was 20 years ago or so. His ex lived close to the area where my brother and I grew up and close to my work, about 30 miles away from the city where my brother and I both lived back then.
He was on good terms with her or so he thought. She wanted to borrow some money from him, he was dumb enough to let her borrow his Suburban and ATM bank card and gave her his PIN code.
She was going to be right back, after she was gone for two days my brother calls the police, he tells the Police what happened so officially he gave her the keys and they took a report but did nothing because he let her borrow his truck.
My brother was well connected to people where we grew up and told old friends from the area we grew up if they see his Suburban around to give him a call any time day or night. In the mean time he is calling the ex day and night and she ghosted him, no messages no phone pickups.

Three weeks later....

I get a call at work from my brother, he tells me one of his old friends sees his Suburban parked at his ex's mother's house, I had a spare key to his Suburban, I rush down there about 5 miles from work and block the Suburban in with my car. At this time, I see the friend that called my brother appears, I give him my key, he takes the Suburban back to his house a few miles away.
When we get to his house we look around the Suburban and find guess what, she left her purse in there with her driver's license, wallet, money etc.

Wouldn't you know it, she called my brother back that day apologizing and can she get her purse back and her things she left in there. She never got it back any of it back, she was the ghosted one now.
Lesson learned:, never lend your car or your ATM card to an ex.

It WAS exciting to steal his truck back for him.
Sponsored