ProPower and engine running full time for RV use or any use

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
While it may get shorter life in the long run, I have absolutely zero issues otherwise.
What will get shorter life as a result of your mad scientist solution?

Are you saying that a 12V AGM lives a shorter life if it is held to such high standard?
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Generator mode. Lights off. HVAC off. Interior off/dimmed. Locked. How much PPoB current load before constant ICE condition occurs?

120V/10A? 120V/20A? 120V/30A?
or
1200W? 2400W? 3600W?

Will the ICE "On" time keep increasing until it's continuous?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think ICE on continuous is triggered at somewhere around 3300 watts.

And it's an all or nothing threshold.
You either are cycling normally, or you are continuous.

The biggest clue you are in continuous mode is that the truck ignores Eco Idle and reverts to 1000 RPM.

At least that's what mine does.

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
Generator mode. Lights off. HVAC off. Interior off/dimmed. Locked. How much PPoB current load before constant ICE condition occurs?

120V/10A? 120V/20A? 120V/30A?
or
1200W? 2400W? 3600W?

Will the ICE "On" time keep increasing until it's continuous?
Like I stated yesterday, I ran my PB w/PPOB with around 1500w on both A&B circuits w/HVAC Off. The minute I turned on the HVAC and had the fan on 7 (Max Air). My ICE would start and stay running and not cycle anymore. My truck would turn off and go back to normal cycling once I turn off the HVAC.

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Just in time for Ford to reveal Powerboost V2 and relegate our trucks obsolete!
I am ready for that. What do you think V2 will look like?

I would sure like to see a much bigger battery. A size more optimized to recapture energy when towing and maybe support longer sessions of PPoB without engine cycling.
Like I stated yesterday, I ran my PB w/PPOB with around 1500w on both A&B circuits w/HVAC Off. The minute I turned on the HVAC and had the fan on 7 (Max Air). My ICE would start and stay running and not cycle anymore. My truck would turn off and go back to normal cycling once I turn off the HVAC.
Actually that might square with @Snakebitten observations since we know now the truck HVAC compressor can pull up to 2,000 watts from the HV battery. So turning off AC with blower at 5 or above gives headroom before hitting 12 amps @ 280 volts from the HV battery.

My Airstream with both AC's running on PPoB will pull about 3,100 watts but anytime of have done that with PPoB I have turned off the truck AC. That may be why I have not seen the truck continue to run with my new 2023 PB.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I am ready for that. What do you think V2 will look like?

I would sure like to see a much bigger battery. A size more optimized to recapture energy when towing and maybe support longer sessions of PPoB without engine cycling.

Actually that might square with @Snakebitten observations since we know now the truck HVAC compressor can pull up to 2,000 watts from the HV battery. So turning off AC with blower at 5 or above gives headroom before hitting 12 amps @ 280 volts from the HV battery.

My Airstream with both AC's running on PPoB will pull about 3,100 watts but anytime of have done that with PPoB I have turned off the truck AC. That may be why I have not seen the truck continue to run with my new 2023 PB.
So 12A x 280V = 3360W (100% duty cycle of 0Hz)
Any combination of power drains that exceed that number will trigger constant ICE operation?

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
So 12A x 280V = 3360W (100% duty cycle of 0Hz)
Any combination of power drains that exceed that number will trigger constant ICE operation?
I think that is were we are based the work to date.

A 1.5 kW battery operating between 37% and 63% of capacity can only provide about .5kW of buffer while drawing 3.4 kW. Cycling the engine very frequently in that range is probably not very efficient.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I think that is were we are based the work to date.

A 1.5 kW battery operating between 37% and 63% of capacity can only provide about .5kW of buffer while drawing 3.4 kW. Cycling the engine very frequently in that range is probably not very efficient.
Makes sense to me.
I’m not out there to experience the reaction to the PB quietly cycling on and off during the night at a campground. If AC units and generators are running I would think the PB is not the primary noise source.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Powerboost is the quietest generator I have ever heard when ICE is running.
But it's Guinness World Record quiet when ICE cycles off. :)

The 3360Watts is not exact. But it's right at the threshold that I could measure in 1A/240V incremental increases.
I also remember that the ICE didn't immediately launch when I did the increase that stepped just over 12A/280V. It took about 5-10 seconds before it triggered. I imagine the logic is built to allow temporary load increases beyond the threshold to be tolerated?
Like say a chop saw?

Sponsored

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
VP of IT
Bravo, men!
So glad we are able to figure out why the ICE stays running w/PPOB. I can monitor the HV Battery System Current Amps and make sure I'm under 12 amps when I'm using my PPOB overnight while camping. I'm just glad I was able to help all the smarter people here with my limited testing and findings. Nice job Snakebitten, TurboPilot, & HammaMan!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's the magic of "the forum".
Or I call it The power of the collective. :)

This forum is one of the best at such things too. I think part of it is the very nature of the Powerboost itself, and the type of owners that it might attract? It's such a geeks treasure. Lol

Add to that the fact this forum early on took on a certain flavor, if you will, by folks like Jesse, livnup, Iceman, tonesto, rugedraw........ (others)

It developed a chemistry!

There's not many makes/models of vehicles in the world that have accumulated more owner information with real substance as quickly as this one has. I've found the whole thing, including the truck itself, fascinating.

Amazing how an historical weather event (The Texas Freeze) unfolded for me. I was rolled up in a sleeping bag in 12F INSIDE my RV, without power, when I read the first article about this insane truck with a plug in the back.

The rest is history.

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
VP of IT
It's the magic of "the forum".
Or I call it The power of the collective. :)

This forum is one of the best at such things too. I think part of it is the very nature of the Powerboost itself, and the type of owners that it might attract? It's such a geeks treasure. Lol

Add to that the fact this forum early on took on a certain flavor, if you will, by folks like Jesse, livnup, Iceman, tonesto, rugedraw........ (others)

It developed a chemistry!

There's not many makes/models of vehicles in the world that have accumulated more owner information with real substance as quickly as this one has. I've found the whole thing, including the truck itself, fascinating.

Amazing how an historical weather event (The Texas Freeze) unfolded for me. I was rolled up in a sleeping bag in 12F INSIDE my RV, without power, when I read the first article about this insane truck with a plug in the back.

The rest is history.
I wish the PPOB would produced
Ford F-150 ProPower and engine running full time for RV use or any use 1692820966220
instead of only 12 amps! :)

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
No doubt that if you want to have or maintain a 90%+ SOC for the 12V Powerboost batteries, you are going to be in an ongoing wrestling match with Ford's native charging strategy.

I would like my 12V battery to be at 12.7-13.x volts, just like any other sane person. But with my factory battery still in the truck (499 days today), I've accepted that 12.4 and up is going to have to do. Which is easy enough if I drive it daily (~50 miles). But for the last 6 weeks it's sat in the barn for the most part, and so I accept the responsibility of charging it externally. Otherwise I am 100% certain that I'd experience some of the jekyll/Hyde behavior these trucks can exhibit when they get below 12.3

Yea, I'm thrilled that the collective diligence of chasing PIDs has at least revealed that we now CAN abstract the amount of current being consumed by ProPower Generator by looking at the HV DC/DC, the HVAC compressor, and the HV Battery System Current PIDs.

Of course the Sync4 screen turns out to be a pretty accurate display itself.
But it's nice to see the 4 electricity consumption values all seemingly supporting each other.

I dare say that after better than 2 years of nerd digging by a group of fine fellas, in my book, this crazy concoction of electrified F150 is starting to make sense? 😜

Just in time for Ford to reveal Powerboost V2 and relegate our trucks obsolete!
For what it’s worth - in 36k miles of my Powerboost on factory battery I had read and known about all these things with the 12V battery, but never felt the need to do anything about it. Year round I left the HVAC in auto and never used a battery tender…for generator mode the few times I used it I just turned the hvac off in the truck and locked it up. Didnt pay a lick of attention. Yet I had 0 battery issues even when taking 10 day long work trips where it got left in the garage.

Speaking of garage…it also got “awoken” probably 5-6 times a day. Our big garbage can sits in the garage and I always carry my keys. Every time I went out there it clicked and clacked, but never hiccuped on battery juice…Same with a week long camping trip. I pulled the 4 wheelers down to camp and didn’t touch my truck the rest of the week but it was parked right next to our camper. As such, it saw a lot of key activity and was awoken constantly. I’m sure that drew on the battery but it was just fine when I went to hook the 4 wheelers back up to leave

Ford’s charging strategy is definitely strange but I think with normal use and a good battery it seems to work fine
Sponsored