First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2011 explorer ltd
Occupation
Knowledge Manager, use PB as my office.
So I thought I would share a little event I had with my (new to me) '21 PB with the 7.2. Dreams of powerless camp sites lingered in my head, with the end of the season (September for family camping in Ontario) I was eager to get my RV hooked up to my new PB and do a power test. After sorting out the PB generator mode, testing with a shop vac, hair dryer, everything worked fine from the Truck.

Then I plugged in the camper, 115v - 30amp plug adapted to the truck port for 230v to only take one side of the power pins. - all good. then I turned something on in the trailer, and 'click' the truck power shut off. - message on the screen was the GFCI tripped.

long story short - after an afternoon of chasing power wires, and pulling the power panel in the trailer apart, it turned out to be a fault with the neutral white wire leading to the hot water tank. The truck worked flawlessly, and must have tripped 10-15 times that afternoon as I was testing each circuit, not realizing the problem was not with the black hot side, breakers, etc, but with the common white wires until later.

The key part here was(I could only test this at home with the PB, as it had the same 30amp capacity that I have a camp site) after a while of trying different things, I noticed that the GFCI would not trip right away. The trailer power inverter would work, but as soon as any real load was turned on, it would trip out. That behavior is often a indicator of a neutral side fault, not a hot side (breakers) fault. If I had known this, I would have saved myself a lot of time. Hopefully this post might help someone else chasing power issues when connecting to their PB!
Sponsored

tmdaley

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 HEV Lariat
Hi Ryan, thanks for this post. I was afraid of similar problems with my Escape trailer, but fortunately had none. I do have occasional trips when my trailer power controller first turns on (with about 10-12 amps to charge the battery), but after 1 or two resets the truck no longer trips.

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
look up floating neutral vs bonded neutral
the PB is bonded

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff