• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Potential future EV credit changes [NO POLITICS]

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Also...don't count out the fact they may make it retroactive. Some of the versions floating(now) had language reffering to a sale date of on/after 1/1/2021...even though we are several months later..

Its all still up in the air, but you could be in line for bigger tax credit if Congress passes in 2022 and makes it retro to beginning of 2022.
How is retroactive thing going to work if they also make effective at point of sale?
Sponsored

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
This doesn't really pertain to this discussion much, but my reservation is way down the list. I was originally thinking 2024 for my delivery, but it may be 2023 based on some projections of Ford ramping up more quickly. So yeah, lots of time for it to happen while I wait. But... with ordering coming up, I'll just have that big question mark to make a decision around.

Erik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW, Fiat
How is retroactive thing going to work if they also make effective at point of sale?
I also wonder how income and purchase price limits would apply retroactively. If you qualify according to the current rules, can you be retroactively disqualified?

It would be great if it was a discount at point of sale, but if they plan to have income limits then they won’t be able to do that.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
It would be great if it was a discount at point of sale, but if they plan to have income limits then they won’t be able to do that.
Sure they could, the IRS always gets its money in the end. The consumer would need to have the option to take the credit at point of sale or leave it until tax time. If someone took the credit and was not eligible they would need to pay it back at tax time.

Still, income limits do not seem like a valid condition as this should be about selling EVs, not about who is buying EVs.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The point of sale thing was always a gimmick of sorts (kind of like the COVID relief checks). On paper, its 100% a tax rebate..or refundable tax credit. What you'd do in a point of sale is effectively assign(or give) that rebate to the dealer to file at tax time. The dealer gives you the money as a rebate, but they don't get reimbursed until later.

You would always have the option of holding onto that credit..pay full price and settle with government next tax filing. Throtetically if it was retroa tive, you'd just get the credit at next tax filing...you'd request it on your return like you do now.

The key difference would be the proposed new credit would be refundable, whereas the current one is not. If you only owe $3000 in tax liability...you only get $3000 come tax time...you can't claim full credit.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
The point of sale thing was always a gimmick of sorts (kind of like the COVID relief checks). On paper, its 100% a tax rebate..or refundable tax credit. What you'd do in a point of sale is effectively assign(or give) that rebate to the dealer to file at tax time. The dealer gives you the money as a rebate, but they don't get reimbursed until later.
Why would a dealer ever want to do that? Unless they were charging super high interest on this.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The bill is to promote new EV sale, there is no point to make it retroactive.
One point would be to avoid killing sales while they talk about whether to make it law or not.

If they're talking about passing it in late 2022, and it's early '22, then people may hold off buying because they don't want to buy right before the credit becomes available. If there's wording in there that it's retroactive from the beginning of 2022, then people may buy anyway because they may be covered if it happens.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I also changed my mind and decided not to spend 70k+ on a Lariat. This is the 1st generation , and in 3 years 2nd generation would be out.

So I would spend just over 30k after tax credit get a Pro as well. I can upgrade to 2nd generation Lightning in 3-4 years, or I can keep it longer. If battery dies after 9-10 years, it is OK give the net cost. I only hope we can order Pro with extended range.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I also changed my mind and decided not to spend 70k+ on a Lariat. This is the 1st generation , and in 3 years 2nd generation would be out.

So I would spend just over 30k after tax credit get a Pro as well. I can upgrade to 2nd generation Lightning in 3-4 years, or I can keep it longer. If battery dies after 9-10 years, it is OK give the net cost. I only hope we can order Pro with extended range.
1st gen, new model year, I would opt also for either the Pro loaded or XLT base.

As for the future federal incentives I am not relying the proposed credit to affect my purchase so I will go with the current in place $7500 tax credit.

Aren't you "counting your chickens before they hatch" to actually pay $30K for the Pro ?

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
1st gen, new model year, I would opt also for either the Pro loaded or XLT base.

As for the future federal incentives I am not relying the proposed credit to affect my purchase so I will go with the current in place $7500 tax credit.

Aren't you "counting your chickens before they hatch" to actually pay $30K for the Pro ?
My state has a 4K EV credit. So 11.5k off 40 is better than 30k. Probably what he is talking about.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime

Right now California has extra $1500 so it is $9000 now which is good enough for me.
Sponsored