Police Engine Idle

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
I was reading an article about the police interception edition of the F150 and it mentioned they would be equipped with a feature called Police Engine Idle. From what it was describing, it would automatically lock the vehicle with the engine running when the officer exits the vehicle with the engine running.

If this is true, it seems like a useful feature for us common folks too. Anyone know if this description is true and what forscan changes is needed to enable?
Sponsored

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
They would probably be afraid of people leaving their trucks running inside a garage or something, so I doubt it would come to consumer trucks

Reactions: sbi

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
I was reading an article about the police interception edition of the F150 and it mentioned they would be equipped with a feature called Police Engine Idle. From what it was describing, it would automatically lock the vehicle with the engine running when the officer exits the vehicle with the engine running.

If this is true, it seems like a useful feature for us common folks too. Anyone know if this description is true and what forscan changes is needed to enable?
Just hit the bottom 2 buttons on the exterior key pad when you leave the vehicle, it's an extra step but it works.

OP
OP
jperry5835

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
Just hit the bottom 2 buttons on the exterior key pad when you leave the vehicle, it's an extra step but it works.
I usually just hit the one button on the door handle but often times I wonder did I remember to lock it or not. I wish it was like my previous cadillac that when you walked away it would automatically lock.

Sponsored

22Platinum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR 3.5
Occupation
software engineer
I've even got a lock button on the door handle but it's inoperative for the first 5 seconds after exiting the vehicle..

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW

I bet it just puts the truck in a (after) remote-start mode.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Yeah, like others have said, just hit the bottom two buttons on the keypad. It already won't go into gear if you have the keys in your pocket, so that's a bonus. Very handy in a carjacking, if you are unable to overpower the subject, you can just get out and let him have it.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Police idle is for vehicles with keyed ignitions. They push the button and it allows them to 'turn off' the key and remove it (while engine remains on). If you have a FOB, just lock the doors and take the fob with you (identical functionality as police idle since you don't have a key). Don't forget to disable double honk w/ forscan. If you're going into a store or something for 10-15 minutes, there's really no reason to shut it off (powerboost). Depending on climate the ICE likely won't fire off in that short amount of time.