Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Police Responder Accelerates Faster Than All Police Vehicles Tested 2021 F-150 Police Responder 2

LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY TESTING SHOWS 2021 FORD F-150 POLICE RESPONDER ACCELERATES FASTER THAN ALL POLICE VEHICLES TESTED

June 29, 2021
  • Every second counts in an emergency: All-new 2021 F-150 Police Responder ®, America’s only pursuit-rated pickup purpose-built for law enforcement, recorded faster 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph and quarter-mile times than any other police vehicle in recent tests
  • Overall performance improvements were verified in vehicle dynamics testing where 2021 F-150 Police Responder cut up to 5.8 seconds off its average lap time vs. outgoing model according to Michigan State Police preliminary test results
DEARBORN, Mich., June 29, 2021 – The all-new 2021 Ford F-150 Police Responder® has the best acceleration of any pursuit-rated police vehicle tested, helping law enforcement officers respond quickly to emergencies. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department test data, as well as preliminary test results from Michigan State Police, show the 2021 F-150 Police Responder, America’s only pursuit-rated pickup truck, had the fastest 0-60 mph, 0-100 mph and quarter-mile times of any law enforcement vehicle, including SUVs and sedans.

“Vehicle acceleration and speed contribute to how quickly first responders can safely arrive at an emergency scene,” said Greg Ebel, Ford police vehicle brand manager. “Shaving even a few seconds off response times can make a big difference. Whether responding to an accident on the highway or a distress call from somewhere off-road, law enforcement officers can count on 2021 F-150 Police Responder to get them there fast.”

In Michigan State Police tests, preliminary results show 2021 F-150 Police Responder clocked a 0-60 mph time of 5.4 seconds – 1.2 seconds faster than the outgoing model and at least 0.4 seconds faster than any other vehicle tested. Its 0-100 mph time was 3.7 seconds faster than the 2020 model at 13.1 seconds – 0.8 seconds faster than the runner up. The agency also confirmed the truck’s new 120 mph top speed, a 15 mph increase.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department tests showed 2021 F-150 Police Responder hitting the quarter mile in just 14.4 seconds, a full second faster than the 2020 model and 0.4 seconds faster than the closest competitor.

The main drivers of the acceleration improvements are the truck’s increased torque and new torque-on-demand 4x4 transfer case. The F-150 Police Responder standard police-tuned 3.5-liter EcoBoost® engine produces 500 lb.-ft. of torque, more than any other pursuit-rated police vehicle. Its automatic four-wheel-drive mode and torque-on-demand transfer case constantly adjust torque to front or rear wheels as needed. This contributes to faster starts because it provides instant traction to all four wheels regardless of road – or off-road – conditions.

The torque-on-demand transfer case also plays a role in the truck’s overall performance, since it facilitates carrying faster speeds when cornering. This was showcased during 32-lap vehicle dynamics tests run by both the Michigan State Police and Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department. The 2021 F-150 Police Responder showed dramatic improvements over the original, cutting 5.8 seconds off its average lap time during the Michigan tests, and 3.6 seconds per lap during the Los Angeles tests. (Los Angeles testing protocols add 400 lbs. of payload to police trucks and SUVs to simulate cargo). Laps in the dynamic tests are run on winding, curving tracks, as well as a tight city course, to simulate real-world pursuit driving conditions.

“The vehicle dynamics course is where the entire vehicle is put to the test,” explained Allen Magolan, Ford police vehicles integration manager. “It shows how well the vehicle’s systems work together to deliver the performance an officer relies on in an unpredictable high-speed situation – its acceleration, straight-line speed, cornering and overall performance.”

Introduced in 2017 as a powerful and capable all-terrain law enforcement tool, F-150 Police Responder is part of America’s best-selling police vehicle lineup.* The truck is built on the all-new 2021 F-150 SuperCrew® platform and engineered to meet a wide range of agency needs – from allowing officers to travel with an assortment of emergency response gear to transporting mobile command centers. It offers the most towing capacity**, payload capacity† and interior passenger volume of any pursuit-rated law enforcement vehicle.

F-150 Police Responder is assembled at Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, Missouri, and arrives in fleets later this fall.

Pursuit ratings for police vehicles are determined by vehicle manufacturers; passing the vehicle dynamics test conducted in third-party evaluations by Michigan State Police and Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department is used by Ford for validation of its pursuit-rated claims.

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Police Responder Accelerates Faster Than All Police Vehicles Tested 2021 F-150 Police Responder 1
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Kinda surprised they didn’t use a PowerBoost for the drivetrain given all the idling police do. Would have figured it would be a great fit for it. Maybe just not economical.

Last edited:

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Kinda surprised they didn’t use a PowerBoost for the drivetrain giving all the idling police do. Would have figured it would be a great fit for it. Maybe just not economical.
I think you are right on economical, and I suspect just as important is the added weight from the PB. It would lower their Payload on like-for-like trucks by a couple hundred pounds, and I have seen other articles stress how important having cargo capacity and of course space for people is, so you need the payload to go along with that.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I think you are right on economical, and I suspect just as important is the added weight from the PB. It would lower their Payload on like-for-like trucks by a couple hundred pounds, and I have seen other articles stress how important having cargo capacity and of course space for people is, so you need the payload to go along with that.
Yep, but once again, they could have solved that issue AND made the PB a terrific RV hauler if they had simply designed and allowed the HDPP package on PB, and moved the GVWR from 7350 to 7850lbs like it is on HDPP equipped trims.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Yep, but once again, they could have solved that issue AND made the PB a terrific RV hauler if they had simply designed and allowed the HDPP package on PB, and moved the GVWR from 7350 to 7850lbs like it is on HDPP equipped trims.
agreed. The generator is great on my pb, but limited payload defeats the towing capacity. In reality, even with the heavy duty towing package, the 1/2 ton isn't up to loads over 5,000 pounds, and efficiency dies. It'll do it, but huffing and puffing, with mpg way below a Superduty diesel.

Sponsored

HellcatTremorStang

First Name
Corrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150 Tremor. ‘21 Redeye Charger. ‘21 5.0L GT
Occupation
Business Owner
Sorry guys- I’d hate to say it but a 5.7L Charger with the 8 speed will walk these trucks- not sure how they didn’t include that into the test.
My 2019 Denali did 13.7l@102mph and I still got walked by a newer Charger .
Great time for a police truck but certainly not faster than the V8 Chargers we have around here .

ShadowFox

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Eddie Bauer Expedition, 2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
USAF
We have a 3.5L ecoboost Police truck and she's quick, especially compared to the other trucks we have. Don't have to worry about snow or dirt/mud either with the 4x4 and rear locker. Plus tons of space in the back and of course the bed.

OleCuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch PowerBoost
Sorry guys- I’d hate to say it but a 5.7L Charger with the 8 speed will walk these trucks- not sure how they didn’t include that into the test.
Great time for a police truck but certainly not faster than the V8 Chargers we have around here .
The article said something about recent testing. There was also something said about all-terrain.

So I suspect that they were comparing vehicles which have relatively high clearance and have been tested within the last two to three years. That's probably a pretty limited subset of the market.

Yeah, I'm guessing there are a ton of sedans which will best those numbers and the article was rather cleverly written to not make it clear that the Responder was being compared to vehicles within a rather narrow category.

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Yes and no. Maybe for production vehicles the 5.7 chargers are faster but when you’re talking about a police vehicle they have a lot of added weight in duty gear, cage, weapons mounts, laptop mounts, Kevlar doors, etc. After all that added weight then the 500 lbs of torque from the ecoboost at such a low rpm combined with automatic 4wd vs the chargers rwd and extra ground clearance from a truck is a much better option and should be faster as well.

HellcatTremorStang

First Name
Corrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F150 Tremor. ‘21 Redeye Charger. ‘21 5.0L GT
Occupation
Business Owner
Ah yes - this makes some more sense .

i think factoring all of that in- yeah the 5.7L might be a bit bogged down . Also - they might have been spinning them off the line - which if that’s the case I could see the Ecoboost bounce out front and not get caught .

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
agreed. The generator is great on my pb, but limited payload defeats the towing capacity. In reality, even with the heavy duty towing package, the 1/2 ton isn't up to loads over 5,000 pounds, and efficiency dies. It'll do it, but huffing and puffing, with mpg way below a Superduty diesel.
After Ford upped the GVW of the Powerboost (250-300lbs? ) over the non Powerboost F150, doesn't it really only lose about 200lbs compared to the same trim and build as the regular Ecoboost?
I'm not saying 200lbs is something to sneeze at but there's Powerboost trucks with 1500+ Payload around here and that's pretty normal for a non HDPP F150.

The one we purchased for the company to do remote aircraft service doesn't seem to huff&puff at all. It has twice the horsepower and more torque than our old 2002 F350 7.3 diesel. That's amazing! Admittedly it doesn't have near the chassis.

I'm pretty sure 5000 lbs is pretty conservative to cap as the towing capacity for a Powerboost. I'd guess 7500-8000 could be comfortable if you address the typical weaknesses of an oem F150 suspension. (tires, shocks, rear Helwig)

Here's our corporate Powerboost. Not dolled up like a Platinum or anything, but it's a comfortable truck to tow the RV and carry a couple of technicians and their tools. They LOVE the whole rig and the comfort of the 7.2KW generator running the RV without breaking a sweat.

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Police Responder Accelerates Faster Than All Police Vehicles Tested 20210909_131652
Sponsored