Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
A few observations.
1. When braking squeeze it to the max on the electric driving gauge so the word charge turns white. You are maximizing charging.
2. When are going but under 50ish you can lift and oh so lightly apply the brake to kick it I to electric mode.
3. Be super soft on the accelerator if you are trying to run electric. Too much throttle will overwhelm the 200ft/lbs electric motor.
4. Don't be scared to challenge muscle cars....if they have a standard trans good luck keeping up off the line!
Love my truck!
Agree with this, but a slight edit to make for point one, you want to avoid the “white” whenever possible. White means some energy is being wasted in the disk brakes. You want to be at full green or slightly less than full green if traffic allows. From the Prius world, (cringe) full regen leads to a bit of energy lost as it can only go into the battery so fast. But with how weak our regen is, you’re doing good just to stay in green

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Agree with this, but a slight edit to make for point one, you want to avoid the “white” whenever possible. White means some energy is being wasted in the disk brakes. You want to be at full green or slightly less than full green if traffic allows. From the Prius world, (cringe) full regen leads to a bit of energy lost as it can only go into the battery so fast. But with how weak our regen is, you’re doing good just to stay in green
I maybe totally off here, but I thought when the word Charge turns white that is max charge is occuring. I thought the white bar indicates brakes are being used? I am still learning for sure!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My understanding is the electric motor is 44hp with 221 ft/lbs of torque. Let me know if i'm missing something. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2021-ford-f-150-powerboost-first-test/
Again, I could be completely wrong, but a 35KW motor does line up with that articles claim of HP (Although it has been published as 47HP in the press as well) but the 221 Ftlbs of Torque is way beyond what I have seen published. As well as most scientific calculators would estimate it as half that at best.

221 Ftlbs of Torque would be enough to push lots of smaller vehicles at normal acceleration rates. The F150 is a lot heavier than those, of course, but with 221 Ftlbs you could drive normal and never kick on the ICE with your request for torque (throttle request)

I think mathematically the Powerboost electric motor generates about 90ftlbs?

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I maybe totally off here, but I thought when the word Charge turns white that is max charge is occuring. I thought the white bar indicates brakes are being used? I am still learning for sure!
Correct, the white bar does mean the disc brakes are being used. Thus, if you’re using disc brakes you’re losing some energy that couldn’t be returned to the battery. If you’re in green, you’re returning all energy into the battery that you can

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
When up to speed, once your battery is charged and you are at 55-60, I get around 28-30MPG (2). When charging the battery I never see above 25mpg.
I have NEVER seen 24+ MPG on my PB. My average over 10K miles is 16.2 MPG. And I do not drive like a crazy man... I do everything I can to try to eek out mileage. Taking into account all of the tips shared here. The best I have averaged in a single tank is 19.4 MPG.

Granted, I leveled the truck and put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it, but would that really account for a 10 mpg difference???

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have NEVER seen 24+ MPG on my PB. My average over 10K miles is 16.2 MPG. And I do not drive like a crazy man... I do everything I can to try to eek out mileage. Taking into account all of the tips shared here. The best I have averaged in a single tank is 19.4 MPG.

Granted, I leveled the truck and put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on it, but would that really account for a 10 mpg difference???
I'd be really interested to monitor the SOC and HV Battery V+- pids on your truck to identify if they are operating in normal parameters.
For that matter I'd wanna monitor the ICE pids too.

I do think the mods you have done would hit you for some percentage, but it'd take some data to know how much.

I've posted these pids elsewhere. Top half are ICE, Bottom are EV

Ford F-150 new to PowerBoost - how to drive it. Screenshot_20221007-154104

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0

I’m on Nitto Recon Grapplers, load range E…I can’t imagine ridge grapplers are much heavier. This is my current tank, slightly below average. I tend to be pretty in tune to my truck and follow hybrid best practices, but I’m no liability on the road. Actually, I usually beat traffic to the speed limit

Ford F-150 new to PowerBoost - how to drive it. DF8ECBC2-F0C8-4944-AAB4-317517A59672

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A

I'm on E rated heavier and slightly oversized tires (Michelin Defenders) and I get about 21 lifetime average.

Your truck may have something wrong with it (and if you're on the original software I'd ask them to flash your drivetrain to the latest), but honestly I'd be willing to bet that the level is doing the most damage to your fuel economy. It's almost all about airflow. We're driving a billboard, the engine fights against that. Anything to make the billboard even slightly more streamlined will have a measurable impact on fuel economy.

Sponsored

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yep
Again, I could be completely wrong, but a 35KW motor does line up with that articles claim of HP (Although it has been published as 47HP in the press as well) but the 221 Ftlbs of Torque is way beyond what I have seen published. As well as most scientific calculators would estimate it as half that at best.

221 Ftlbs of Torque would be enough to push lots of smaller vehicles at normal acceleration rates. The F150 is a lot heavier than those, of course, but with 221 Ftlbs you could drive normal and never kick on the ICE with your request for torque (throttle request)

I think mathematically the Powerboost electric motor generates about 90ftlbs?
At 90ftlbs, that would put the gas motor at 480fltlbs which is very close to the 500ftlbs of the regular 3.5l. if it were putting out 221 that would make the gas motor putting out 350ish ftlbs which would be a dog! I am with you on the 90ftlbs...

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
At 90ftlbs, that would put the gas motor at 480fltlbs which is very close to the 500ftlbs of the regular 3.5l. if it were putting out 221 that would make the gas motor putting out 350ish ftlbs which would be a dog! I am with you on the 90ftlbs...
You can't just look at peak numbers. You'd need to have the HP/TQ curves for both the standard Ecoboost and the Powerboost. The electric motor doesn't have peak HP or torque at the same RPMs as the engine.

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yep
You can't just look at peak numbers. You'd need to have the HP/TQ curves for both the standard Ecoboost and the Powerboost. The electric motor doesn't have peak HP or torque at the same RPMs as the engine.
We can't look at peak numbers to determine the peak numbers. Got it!

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect

The part of my post you quoted were my real time numbers, not a single trip or tank. I watch the bar and with the battery charged it flutters between what I guestimate is 28-30 while going 50-55mph. In a trip of more than 2 miles or with little stops this can result me in 24-25mpg for that trip. I live in Fl, the flattest state, so it's not like I have hills to deal with or anything.

My life time is actually 16.8 because I don't drive much and when I do the trips are short (1-2 miles with lots of start/stop). I've had some trips 28-30 but they are under specific, and probably optimal, conditions.