new to PowerBoost - how to drive it.

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
After reading about the PB, I bit the bullet and ordered the PowerBoost. Since I am new to the whole hybrid thing, is there a place to get good info on the best way to drive or work with the particulars of the PB.

I can't wait. I feel like a kid that been good all year waiting for Christmas. (build date 8/17/22)
Dude. This has been the best decision. I absolutely love mine. I waited 7 months for mine and the wait was worth it. Enjoy learning how to use it.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
On Amazon, it says these will not fit 2023 f150. It says they'll fit 2022. Are they mistaken?
Yeah they will fit. Amazon like many sites is not always up to date. Basically any LED 194 bulb will work but the ones with the PCB terminals like @Snakebitten linked are a little tougher to insert than the ones like the halogens with the plastic tab and wires. Just have your keys handy to lock/unlock the doors to kick the lights on for a second when installing to make sure the polarity is right befor reinstalling.

Biggest pain in the butt, swapping the tag lights out then kicking the lights on to discover you installed them backwards... Twice...

Don't ask me how I know that...

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
Yeah they will fit. Amazon like many sites is not always up to date. Basically any LED 194 bulb will work but the ones with the PCB terminals like @Snakebitten linked are a little tougher to insert than the ones like the halogens with the plastic tab and wires. Just have your keys handy to lock/unlock the doors to kick the lights on for a second when installing to make sure the polarity is right befor reinstalling.

Biggest pain in the butt, swapping the tag lights out then kicking the lights on to discover you installed them backwards... Twice...

Don't ask me how I know that...
Ok thanks, Porpoise Hork. You guys on here are the best.

cdstegall

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I am personally getting an average of 25mpg and many of my miles are short 1 or 2 mile hops, the least efficient. This beast loves the 40 to 45 mph urban drives speed up and slow down for lights and traffic getting 30+. No extended highway for me however I do keep under 70 with all my urban driving in MO. To learn more about the charging and discharge get a elm odb2 device and carscanner pro software. There are two gauge readings that are far better than the ev coach screen. The two I use give the exact % of battery charge and the other gives the instant charge discharge rate. Both together allows you to see how to best drive to maximize charging and discharging of the hybrid battery. For fun, turn it to Sport and drive like you stole it.

bugdude

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 Powerboost
All of the above is excellent advice. I switch between Eco & Normal. Eco for when the traffic is flowing and I’m going above 55and Normal for around town and slower traffic on the highway. Eco is a bit clumsy in the lower gears which can be annoying in bumper to bumper traffic.

I read in another forum that in Eco there is only 1 of the 2 fuel injectors spraying, whereas on Normal both are (the second being the one that sprays the backside of the piston). Might be good to run it in Normal every now and again to prevent buildup.

With a bit of practice over the last couple of months I’m averaging 28 mpg, with a high of 32. But I’m in flat Florida, using top tier gas (87 octane), rarely going over 65 mph, and not towing anything. Having owned a hybrid car before, you’ll learn the sweet spots in no time. There are also some good tutorials on Youtube.

Other mods to consider - Talon garage makes a protection plate for the catalytic converters (which are more valuable on hybrids), I concur with the LED license plate lights, protective matte film for the entertainment screen, among others.

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I used all the tricks mentioned here for the first 6 mos or so, but now I just drive it like any other vehicle. Same as I used to wash it once a week, but now it's like maybe if there are some bugs on the front bumper I get out the sponge and hose.

endorfin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
For short drives, it pays off to let the engine warm up for a few minutes to top off the hybrid battery. This seemed counter intuitive - I assumed if ICE is running, may as well drive and use the power, but it does make a difference. Oh, and find the setting to increase the idle speed when charging - this also helps.

Kgold

First Name
Keegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, powerboost
Occupation
Educator
The 570 lb ft of torque is no joke. I had to re-learn how to make a fast turn onto oncoming traffic. Too much gas and the rear tires just spin.
Or, if yours is like the two models I had (yes, I’ve had two PBs and you couldn’t pay me to get another one), they will stall when turning into oncoming traffic. I was almost in several accidents and it’s a really common PB problem. But reading your post made me happy that it doesn’t happen to everyone.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Currently have 2 (1 work truck) and had yet another one, so 3 Powerboost trucks.

None have visited a dealership or exhibited such behavior.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Or, if yours is like the two models I had (yes, I’ve had two PBs and you couldn’t pay me to get another one), they will stall when turning into oncoming traffic. I was almost in several accidents and it’s a really common PB problem. But reading your post made me happy that it doesn’t happen to everyone.
when preparing to make some hooligan turns switch to sport or tow/haul. Won’t have the fall on your face lag is it waits for electricity to ICE change over.

Sponsored

talespin

First Name
dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 powerboost hybrid
Occupation
airline pilot ( retired )
After reading about the PB, I bit the bullet and ordered the PowerBoost. Since I am new to the whole hybrid thing, is there a place to get good info on the best way to drive or work with the particulars of the PB.

I can't wait. I feel like a kid that been good all year waiting for Christmas. (build date 8/17/22)

I have a ‘21 PB at 10 months old now and my avg mpg is exactly 25 mpg, so it is possible but there is a technique to driving it. Driving it this last weekend around town I had several trips at 27 mpg.
But if you take delivery going into winter expect less milage. There are so many in and outs with regard to driving a hybrid it would be difficult to list them here. But I learned about hybrids driving my Lexus RX 450h for 10 years and believe it or not my cost per mile for fuel is equal or less than the Lexus mainly because the Lexus required premium gas whereas the PB requires regular although pulling a trailer, they say use premium. First you’ll want to learn the " tap the brake technique " to force it into elec. only, allow the gas engine to accelerate and go up hills, keep the speed down in the city ( 35 mph works well ) use two lane highways @ 55 to 60mph then hybrid through the towns, and play the winds. Anything over 65 on interstates will start to suck fuel that’s because the resistance/drag caused by the wind increases by the square of the speed. ( double your speed, the drag is squared and increases exponentially . Like I said, there's alot more to it but I find it fun squeeze as much mpg as possible, ( hypermiling ) it’s like a game to me. So, good luck and I really like my truck……..talespin ( PS ….I’ve actually gotten over 30 mpg on some trips )

Kgold

First Name
Keegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, powerboost
Occupation
Educator
when preparing to make some hooligan turns switch to sport or tow/haul. Won’t have the fall on your face lag is it waits for electricity to ICE change over.
Yes, sport mode certainly curtailed the problem but it still occurred when accelerating quickly from idle at times. And I got the PB to get better gas mileage. How I drive sport mode in my new 3.5l v6 ecoboost and manage 23 mpg. Go figure! :)

12PSI

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I suggest driving it like how we're taught to drive any vehicle with turbos.

Put Left foot on brake floor the gas pedal with right foot - lift left foot off brake.

Rinse and repeat at stop signs and redlights.

P.s avoid eco mode

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
The 570 lb ft of torque is no joke. I had to re-learn how to make a fast turn onto oncoming traffic. Too much gas and the rear tires just spin.
That is what Sport mode is for or push the AWD before launching into traffic.

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
A few observations.
1. When braking squeeze it to the max on the electric driving gauge so the word charge turns white. You are maximizing charging.
2. When are going but under 50ish you can lift and oh so lightly apply the brake to kick it I to electric mode.
3. Be super soft on the accelerator if you are trying to run electric. Too much throttle will overwhelm the 200ft/lbs electric motor.
4. Don't be scared to challenge muscle cars....if they have a standard trans good luck keeping up off the line!
Love my truck!
Sponsored