First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
Picked up my new 2023 Platinum Powerboost today. Every time it downshifts from 6th to 5th it is very abrupt. All other downshifts are smooth as are the upshifts. I have read that new Powerboosts are known to shift rough on occasion, but is this normal or do I have a problem?
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Picked up my new 2023 Platinum Powerboost today. Every time it downshifts from 6th to 5th it is very abrupt. All other downshifts are smooth as are the upshifts. I have read that new Powerboosts are known to shift rough on occasion, but is this normal or do I have a problem?
How are you even noticing downshifts during Normal mode driving? Mine is busy regen braking while I keep it in the "zone".

When I switch to Sport mode, 2WD, and traction control off I want nasty downshifts so I don't need the brakes lol. Then I'm back in the throttle and gone...

OP
OP

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
It is impossible not to notice it, it literally jerks the truck as though it chose too low of a gear. It slams between 6 to 5 and it is also doing it when it drops from 5 to 3 (skipping 4). This is in Normal mode 2WD. I will try going to AWD and see if that helps.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Give it a couple weeks of driving it to "learn" your driving style and remap the transmission shift tables.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
It is impossible not to notice it, it literally jerks the truck as though it chose too low of a gear. It slams between 6 to 5 and it is also doing it when it drops from 5 to 3 (skipping 4). This is in Normal mode 2WD. I will try going to AWD and see if that helps.
Did it do that when you test drove it?

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there Louie. This downshifting quality concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150 truck. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
How are you even noticing downshifts during Normal mode driving? Mine is busy regen braking while I keep it in the "zone".

When I switch to Sport mode, 2WD, and traction control off I want nasty downshifts so I don't need the brakes lol. Then I'm back in the throttle and gone...
🤣👍

OP
OP

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
Did it do that when you test drove it?
I never test drove it. I had it located and brought in from 4 hours away. I never drove it until I owned it. (probably the 20th vehicle I have owned before driving).

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I never test drove it. I had it located and brought in from 4 hours away. I never drove it until I owned it. (probably the 20th vehicle I have owned before driving).
Very good.

Then no, my '22 Powerboost has never slammed jarringly as it downshifts through the gears from highway speeds to a stoplight for example.

It will skip 2nd gear on the upshift going 1-3 in normal mode which takes a little getting used to, but that wasn't your question.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There's a TSB, if I'm not mistaken.

Something like 28 pages?
It's definitely possible to get a 10r80 MHT with something wrong with it.

OP
OP

labjr1

First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 PB Platinum
Occupation
IT
Update. after 1500 miles the rough shifting has stopped. It improved daily after day 3 and has smoothed out. No more issues.
Sponsored