Sponsored

Lock keys in truck and use key pad?

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
With older traditional keyed Ford vehicles. One of the benefits of the keypad is you could lock your keys in the truck when you went jogging, fishing, hunting, or whatever. This way you didn't have to worry about losing your keys while doing these activities.

Is this still possible with the remote push start keys? Any sort of setting I need to enable? I have a 302A XLT.
Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
With older traditional keyed Ford vehicles. One of the benefits of the keypad is you could lock your keys in the truck when you went jogging, fishing, hunting, or whatever. This way you didn't have to worry about losing your keys while doing these activities.

Is this still possible with the remote push start keys? Any sort of setting I need to enable? I have a 302A XLT.
You can lock your keys in the truck. Pressing and holding 7-8 and 9-0 with all doors closed will lock the cab. Then you just need your keyless entry code to unlock.

hide your keys somewhere on the truck. The vehicle can still be started if someone snags those.

OP
OP

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
You can lock your keys in the truck. Pressing and holding 7-8 and 9-0 with all doors closed will lock the cab. Then you just need your keyless entry code to unlock.

hide your keys somewhere on the truck. The vehicle can still be started if someone snags those.
Thanks! Yea, I go crazy and hide my keys in a non-traditional area like under carpets or inside seat upholstery like it's drugs. I will even pull my registration and everything out of the glove box so there is absolutely nothing in the truck. The tweakers really target the rural areas around here hard so gotta be cautious.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I can also confirm it works. I’m surprised they let you lock your keys in the truck.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
This keyless entry is one of the best features of the truck.
(coming from a guy that has “break-in“ artists in his phone contact list.)
I’m not real good at removing keys and am prone to locking before I realize it’s going to cost me another $75.

Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Thanks! Yea, I go crazy and hide my keys in a non-traditional area like under carpets or inside seat upholstery like it's drugs. I will even pull my registration and everything out of the glove box so there is absolutely nothing in the truck. The tweakers really target the rural areas around here hard so gotta be cautious.
It's unfortunate you're in a west coast rural area having to deal with tweakers trying to steal your truck. I live in rural Minnesota and we know how to handle truck thieves. Kind of like what they did to horse thieves years ago. Stay safe and keep your truck safe also.

OP
OP

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
It's unfortunate you're in a west coast rural area having to deal with tweakers trying to steal your truck. I live in rural Minnesota and we know how to handle truck thieves. Kind of like what they did to horse thieves years ago. Stay safe and keep your truck safe also.
It's a sad state of affairs here in Northern Idaho. There all skinhead tweakers usually packing heat as well. Not enough cops and too much area to patrol. You bolt something down and they'll bring a blow torch...

Saw a friend in Nebraska had his trailer stolen and the whole town seemed to come together to find it. Good sense of community in the Midwest. Too bad it's flat and missing Mountains otherwise I'd consider moving! Will stay safe, thanks.

Last edited:

imgone10

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 FJ Cruiser, 15 TRD Pro 4Runner, 2021 Lariat.
Occupation
Construction / US Army 84-96
If you leave your keys in the truck all they need to do is get in and push the button to start and they are gone. If your going to do it get a small faraday bag to put the key fob in. The truck won't start unless they find where you hid the keys.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
If you leave your keys in the truck all they need to do is get in and push the button to start and they are gone. If your going to do it get a small faraday bag to put the key fob in. The truck won't start unless they find where you hid the keys.
thats a good idea. I typically leave 1 key without a battery in it, and I use that for my days with water sports or other activities where having an electrical device on you isn’t great.

stash that in the vehicle. Luckily Ford makes it easy with the cup holder key fob setup.

DEEPDOWN

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402A Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Scuba Instructor

Yes, I do it frequently
2021 Lariat Sport FX4 2.7EB 502A

Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Why not just unlock with
Ford Pass??

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Why not just unlock with
Ford Pass??
Doesn't work unless you bring your phone with you. Defeats the purpose. If I am going somewhere I'm willing to bring my phone, I'll bring my keys too.
I use the keypad all the time when I am just running into a store for a minute. Just bring a credit card and leave phone and keys in the truck.

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Doesn't work unless you bring your phone with you. Defeats the purpose. If I am going somewhere I'm willing to bring my phone, I'll bring my keys too.
I use the keypad all the time when I am just running into a store for a minute. Just bring a credit card and leave phone and keys in the truck.
Interesting. I'll leave my keys and wallet before I leave my phone, especially now that they have digital wallets. Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad to know how to lock it now though. I was always locking it with the Ford Pass app. Now I can use the keypad.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Interesting. I'll leave my keys and wallet before I leave my phone, especially now that they have digital wallets. Different strokes for different folks. I'm glad to know how to lock it now though. I was always locking it with the Ford Pass app. Now I can use the keypad.
Why can't you just hit the lock button on the door?
Am I missing something?