How many keys?

OP
OP

Griffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
It would appear that the second key fob was lost in transit or at the dealer and the dealer pulled a fast one on you to deliver the truck. I would go back and have them make it right for you. As @UGADawg96 said those fobs don't look right, they dont even match.
Yeah, that second key does Not look right.
At least as far as the logos looking different. I think it's just the way the with the camera angle and lighting. Because in person, they are identical. I think I'm just terrible with photos.
They definitely own me a key insert or a whole new one. I'm just glad I noticed it now instead of like a year later 🙃
I appreciate everyone's input and helping me

and car dealers wonder why people hate them.
So true. They didn't even update the software so my BC didn't work at first either, took them over 2 hours, 2 tries and one of their Ford Lightning technicians to update it. But the rest of the software was so outdated I ended up just getting a mongoose and FDRS and updating myself. I mean outside of the whole key situation, I absolutely love everything about this truck! Been wanting to upgrade for awhile now and the wait was definitely worth it

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I mean outside of the whole key situation, I absolutely love everything about this truck! Been wanting to upgrade for awhile now and the wait was definitely worth it
indeed, hopefully the dealer experience doesnt spoil the beauty of the truck. they are amazing comfortable and very nice machines to say the least.

if you remove the silly ring they hung on the amputated fob you will find the metal key thing should fit either fob. I would definitely go back and speak to someone at the dealer. they can and should make it right.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Bet they have the key somewhere around there at the dealer. Definitely they need to make that right.

Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
OK, got it. Both my fobs have that. Wonder why the difference...
I wonder if one is a replacement for a lost fob, and the replacement came without a key. These new fangled key fobs are very expensive at Ford.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I wonder if one is a replacement for a lost fob, and the replacement came without a key. These new fangled key fobs are very expensive at Ford.
Makes sense.
Many dealerships have a "key guy", who is often an independent and services multiple brands. Dealerships continuously have key issues as they take in trades and such. They need solutions quickly and across many brands of vehicles.

So it's likely there was a lost/misplaced key situation and the key-service the dealership uses filled in the gap. I don't think they were trying to screw anyone, but rather they treated a new vehicle lost key like it was a used vehicle lost key.
Not cool, of course. And I would definitely request an oem quality replacement.

(Key management at a dealership is a really big mess if you watch just 1 days worth of potential uhohs)

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
As an aside question. I noted in the owners manual that there can only be 4 key fobs programmed... Suppose I went and got two more for total of 4, had them programmed and put them away somewhere safe. Would that effectively prevent the auto theft tactic of copying the electronic transmissions to steal a truck? In other words would the truck then think the copied fob came from a fifth fob and refuse it? PS when in a hotel room I toss the key fobs in the microwave at night since that is effectively a faraday box...

Last edited:

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Makes sense.
Many dealerships have a "key guy", who is often an independent and services multiple brands. Dealerships continuously have key issues as they take in trades and such. They need solutions quickly and across many brands of vehicles.

So it's likely there was a lost/misplaced key situation and the key-service the dealership uses filled in the gap. I don't think they were trying to screw anyone, but rather they treated a new vehicle lost key like it was a used vehicle lost key.
Not cool, of course. And I would definitely request an oem quality replacement.

(Key management at a dealership is a really big mess if you watch just 1 days worth of potential uhohs)
You know, I thought I was really lucky to take delivery of my truck with 6.7 miles on the odometer. As I see such things as this key fob drill... I am now surer than ever that I was really lucky since the dealership had little time to lose things etc. To be fair my dealership is a very good one, they pay attention to their customers. For example I had a minor thing crop up on the transmission and I was close to the 60k powertrain guarantee and I live a long way away. The Service Advisor said OK, let's start a service request now just in case when you get here it's over 60k. Thus he protected the truck under that warranty for whatever they did. Turned out to be less than 60k when I got in but that was really appreciated (Lithia Ford of Idaho Falls, ID).

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I specifically asked for two fobs when buying my used truck. Dropping big money on any vehicle I don't care if it's used it should have two keys if the dealer is doing right by customers.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
As an aside question. I noted in the owners manual that there can only be 4 key fobs programmed... Suppose I went and got two more for total of 4, had them programmed and put them away somewhere safe. Would that efectively prevent the auto theft tactic of copying the electronic transmissions to steal a truck? In other words would the truck then think the copied fob came from a fifth fob and refuse it? PS when in a hotel room I toss the key fobs in the microwave at night since that is effectively a faraday box...
Interesting possibility.
Digitally crowding out a clone space for nefarious intent.

Clever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired
I just bought a 2023 F-150 XLT and I also have a key in each fob. Like others have said, both fobs should have a key. I'd definitely call the dealer.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I just bought a 2023 F-150 XLT and I also have a key in each fob. Like others have said, both fobs should have a key. I'd definitely call the dealer.
Yeah, I don't get it. Must be an aftermarket thing where they're unable to laser cut the correct groove... so they delete that feature...Just don't get it. Well actually I do.

OP
OP

Griffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
I appreciate everyone chiming in and letting me know I'm not crazy. Update!

The sales person had the key - his supervisor at one point gave it to him and he wasn't sure what it went to so he put it in his desk 😐. So I went there and picked it up and all is good now!

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
I appreciate everyone chiming in and letting me know I'm not crazy. Update!

The sales person had the key - his supervisor at one point gave it to him and he wasn't sure what it went to so he put it in his desk 😐. So I went there and picked it up and all is good now!
Glad it worked out for you. I guess that leaves me wondering why they even took it out in the first place. When I picked up my truck, the second key was still in the sealed bag from Ford and they unsealed it right in front of me.
Sponsored