Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems

Quicksilver32

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4
I purchased a Line X spray in liner when I bought my truck this Saturday. I’m getting ready to make my appointment, but I keep reading horror stories of loss of camera/safety/backup functionality when the tailgate is removed. Have these issues been resolved for MY22? My truck made it 12 miles before it had electrical issues (it is currently at the dealer for repair). If there are still problems stemming from tailgate removal, I can live without a bedliner. It’s given me enough problems already. No sense in asking for more…
Sponsored

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
I had a spray in bedliner done on my january 22 build the tailgate was removed twice with no issues. I would say you should be fine but you never know until you do it and if you do have a issue that's why you have a warranty.

In case your wondering why mine was removed twice the liner got a little thick between the tailgate and the bed causing some binding.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
IIRC the issue was if the truck was powered on and moved with the tailgate removed. If they plug it back in before turning the truck on and moving it, everything should be fine.

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
IIRC the issue was if the truck was powered on and moved with the tailgate removed. If they plug it back in before turning the truck on and moving it, everything should be fine.
I specifically said that prior to spray in being installed. They must not have listened, and now my tailgate never opens when i need it to. It sometimes opens when i randomly try to for a test.

it does not matter if i try the dash button, key fob, or tailgate button, i have not found a specific sequence to work.

ill have the dealer check it out at my first service. Truck was built in May 2022.

OP
OP

Quicksilver32

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4
I figured there would still be problems. I’ll just get the bed mat. I’ll have a tonneau cover on it and all I’d really use the bed for is my golf clubs, coolers and hauling boxes to the storage unit.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I figured there would still be problems. I’ll just get the bed mat. I’ll have a tonneau cover on it and all I’d really use the bed for is my golf clubs, coolers and hauling boxes to the storage unit.
Could just skip the tailgate removal, let them spray the bed only. Then get a DIY paint on bed liner kit and a few rolls of painter's tape. That's the next project I have planned since the dealership refused to apply it to the tailgate.

MHarvey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport 501A
Occupation
Firefighter
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Line X sprayed my 2021 Lariat and I didn’t have any issues, but as some have said you have to make sure the truck isn’t started and moved around before putting the tailgate back on. The Line X dealer near me was aware of the problem so they knew what to do.

kcarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XLT 2.7, 2022 F150 Platinum
I have a 22 Platinum that I just had LineX applied to about a month ago. Went for their "platinum" variant and I wasn't sure if that uncharge included getting down in the small gaps in the tailgate hinge area, but I'm glad they did it. Ended up adding a husky mat, tailgate seal and retraxpro XR tonneau. I was also worried about the electrical issues removing the tailgate, but I experienced no issues. I was impressed with the attention to detail & really like how the finish is holding up.

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.03.22 PM

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 5.06.34 PM

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Most Ford service by now (and most LineX) should know the procedure. In the beginning it was a bigger issue. There has been both software updates (to prevent the issue) and education on how to fix it. Remember, the tailgate is designed for Owner removal (it's in the manual, pg 111).

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Line-X of bed and tailgate done without tailgate removal as per the 'normal practice' of my Austin, TX installer. Coverage is perfect (continues ~1/2" below all edges at the back of bed and front of tailgate) with absolutely no problems of any sort, electrical or otherwise (mine is the full-power tailgate, both open and close). Lots of use since that was done over 5 months ago, a few days after getting the truck.

My installer admitted that many do remove the tailgate, usually without issues, he just prefers to avoid any concerns / risk whatsoever by doing a bit more masking and by lowering the tailgate slightly below horizontal and letting it rest on an adjustible-height padded 'sawhorse' he uses for that purpose.

The bed-bolts were removed / not sprayed per my request - the installer gives the customer the choice.

As demonstrated by my case, tailgate removal is NOT required for full-coverage Line-X, it just takes a bit of care, skill, and pride of craft on the part of the installer.

Ford F-150 Line X, Tailgate Removal and Associated Problems 04 R

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Most Ford service by now (and most LineX) should know the procedure. In the beginning it was a bigger issue. There has been both software updates (to prevent the issue) and education on how to fix it. Remember, the tailgate is designed for Owner removal (it's in the manual, pg 111).
Can you please provide the information to fix the tailgate issue of not opening? I have to use a coat hanger to pull the tonneau cover cord to access my bed.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Can you please provide the information to fix the tailgate issue of not opening? I have to use a coat hanger to pull the tonneau cover cord to access my bed.
Sorry, I don't have that info. I was referring to the issue where when the tailgate is removed (as for have a spray-in bed done) and replaced, the errors that can occur (such as Reverse Brake Assist Not Available). And my point was the service people have the proper procedures (at most dealers).

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I didn’t have any problems with my Line-X install but it must be common enough that Ford released an SSM on it:

September 20, 2022 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: SSM 51092
Components: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

NHTSA ID Number: 10222070
Manufacturer Communication Number: SSM 51092
Summary
Some 2021-2022 F150 customers may have concerns including, but not limited to: no power to the distribution box, rear camera inoperative, rear park assist inoperative, box lights inoperative, power up/down tailgate inoperative, unable to open tailgate by tailgate switch, and no tailgate AJAR message when the tailgate is AJAR. These concerns may be caused by faulty connections between the pickup bed, tailgate, rear lamp assemblies, or bumper where connectors are disconnected, damaged, or coated with bedliner. Prior to performing any warranty diagnosis or repairs, verify if the vehicle had an aftermarket spray-in-bedliner. Any repairs resulting from aftermarket products/installation, including but not limited to a spray-in bedliner, are not covered under warranty.
Sponsored