• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Reservation Holders Beware...

MannyFrescoSC

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Mitigated this issue by ordering in the first 30 mins. I waited 2 weeks for bronco. Big mistake.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
If someone REALLY wants a Lightening once they actually start arriving, I find it hard to imagine that they couldn't find one being offered at a premium. So that kind of buyer never gets in one of these open-to-public lines.
There's so many holes in a system like this. And too many people with influence that will take advantage of it.

I did watch Mazda do something similar with a limited FIXED number of 30th anniversary Miatas. It was a public sign up with $500 refundable. But once they were spoken for, that was it. They did accommodate a small amount of extra sign-ups as like a "standby" ticket for flying.

Mazda made good on their end and each reservation was honored with their designated VIN, which was provided before the car was even built. (if I remember correctly)

So, would we be happier if Ford had taken that kind of approach? Instead of letting as many people as wanted to step up, just set a FIXED number representing the first released batch? Say 5000? And then after that it is just first come first serve at the dealer allotment?

Would make no difference to me. I'm intending to have one. But not before the craziness is over. I ain't camping out at Best buy for any sale they have. Lol

But if my dealership were to call me and say "Hey, since you have been buying from us for 30 years, we have a Lightening that the deal fell through and you can have it for MSRP......I might be tempted. :)

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
I did watch Mazda do something similar with a limited FIXED number of 30th anniversary Miatas. It was a public sign up with $500 refundable. But once they were spoken for, that was it. They did accommodate a small amount of extra sign-ups as like a "standby" ticket for flying.

Mazda made good on their end and each reservation was honored with their designated VIN, which was provided before the car was even built. (if I remember correctly)

So, would we be happier if Ford had taken that kind of approach? Instead of letting as many people as wanted to step up, just set a FIXED number representing the first released batch? Say 5000? And then after that it is just first come first serve at the dealer allotment?

It would seem to lend much more transparency and certainty to the process. Ford can make good on a promise, reservation holder knows exactly where they stand. Better yet, do away with the reservation altogether and let the free market settle things. If someone wants to pay $10k over msrp, God bless them. There are a number of EV’s coming to market in the next 2-3 years that look promising. Competition good, reservation hyperventilation bad.

Last edited:

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Online Reservation FAQs
What is a reservation?
A reservation lets you configure and be among the first to order a new F-150 Lightning from Ford with a refundable Reservation Deposit. It is not an actual order and does not guarantee delivery.

*By completing the Reservation Process, you are not ordering or purchasing a vehicle. Participation in the Program does not guarantee you vehicle delivery. Your Reservation does not guarantee a set price for the Vehicle.

dealerinsider

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chapmannewcars.com
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Hey Guys,

I am not in the market for the new Lightning but I have been for the Bronco and thought I would try to make people aware of how Ford has really made a mess of this whole "reservation" system. Ford initially promised to build the Bronco's as close as possible in order by timestamp of the reservations that were then converted to orders, if a build did not have parts constraints, which is another story. So they are wrapping up production of the 2021 model year and orders open up tomorrow for 2022 orders with MANY unfilled orders from reservation holders having to change over to 2022. Ford has now laid out an allocation system that seems to completely ignore the reservation system to the point that many people's orders may now get pushed to 2023 based on what dealer they ordered from. So you may want to do your research on this as the dealers who offered aggressive pricing are now getting punished because they accepted so many orders from reservation holders. You can read more at the links below:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/day-6-my22-allocation-formula-–-what-action-can-we-take.25273/#post-885266
https://thebronconation.com/forums/...-hurt-small-dealers-and-their-customers.6833/
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...on-no-one-said-it-was-going-to-be-easy.25052/

Good Luck!
This is 100%...also, from what i heard, there will be more allocation to the "green states"...for example a NJ dealer with receive more allocation than a PA dealer regardless of reservations #reservationsoverallocation

Sponsored

GeorgeK

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Self employed
FWIW I'm not aware of anyone offering "aggressive pricing", I think everyone is pretty close to MSRP.
A lot of dealership around me are adding to the MSRP on all vehicles like the F150 they’re adding $7500 to MSRP but if your looking for one chances are they have the inventory to sell right on the lot

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
If ford is going to go with allotment system and stiff a good dealer, I am ready to move on to different brand, not going to pay MSRP+ to a ford favorite dealer. Ford should honor customer wishes to choose a dealer.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
This is just another case of dealers getting in the way and causing headaches in what could be a much easier process if going direct. Such an inefficient and antiquated process held back by nothing than lobbyists and good ‘ol boys politics.

Of course the dealers wouldn’t be tied in to a common system of reservations with Ford corporate and the reservation system having absolutely anything to do with dealer allocations. Like others have said, this completely defeats the point of reservations at all and you might as well just skip them and wait for regular ordering to open up so if you go to a dealer they could tell you whether they even have allocations or not.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Legacy automakers need to figure out how to revise the dealership model with a quickness. The writing is on the wall, more and more people don't want to put up with the BS game that 95% of dealerships play. Tesla has shown us what it's like when you sell direct, the cat's out of the bag and fighting it is only buying time for these up-and-coming manufacturers to perfect the trade.

I despise going to a dealership for any reason other than recall work. Ideally, laws would change to allow direct purchasing from manufacturers with dealers acting as a delivery and service point. Maybe let them keep sales as well, for those people who have a sick tolerance for the pain.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I love the purchase process model of Tesla,
You mean putting $1k deposit down in 2016 for car delivered in 2019 like my AWD Model 3? And no one likes Tesla's service model where you can't talk to human about problem, fix and appointment which are running 20-30 days out on service work as cars come out of warranty.

Not sure I'd blame Ford for producing great products people want (MachE, Bronco, F150EV) and having high demand for them. These are new products with limited production so allocating scarce resources due to both being new model and the Covid-19 effects on supply is going to mean some people get them, some don't. Not really Ford or dealer's fault.

I'm in first 20k depositors or F150EV which was supposed to '21 but is now '22. No big deal.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
I'm in first 20k depositors or F150EV which was supposed to '21 but is now '22. No big deal.
Are saying you have a deposit on an order for the Lightning? I was not aware that anyone could do more than enter a reservation and they were always for 2022MY.

Regardless of Tesla's problems executing the model, the direct to consumer sales approach is far superior. My frustration with Ford is that it continues to put dealers above consumers. Yes Ford does need to keep dealers happy but that should not involve favoring some over others.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You mean putting $1k deposit down in 2016 for car delivered in 2019 like my AWD Model 3? And no one likes Tesla's service model where you can't talk to human about problem, fix and appointment which are running 20-30 days out on service work as cars come out of warranty.

Not sure I'd blame Ford for producing great products people want (MachE, Bronco, F150EV) and having high demand for them. These are new products with limited production so allocating scarce resources due to both being new model and the Covid-19 effects on supply is going to mean some people get them, some don't. Not really Ford or dealer's fault.

I don't think I have ever seen anything on the Lightning saying it was 2021. I believe Spring 2022 was given at the reveal.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
You mean putting $1k deposit down in 2016 for car delivered in 2019 like my AWD Model 3?
I mean, that's kind of an extreme example, and it's not unique to the direct to consumer model. Some people reserving Lightnings now will wait that long, too.

I bought a Model 3 in 2018 and order/deposit to delivery was 5 days. No pricing games. No finding a dealer who wouldn't surprise me with ADM when it arrived. And they delivered it to my house.

There are cons to Tesla's execution of the idea, sure, but certainly pros, too.