Ford Dealers SCREWED Truck Buyers, Now They're Paying The Price

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
My dealer was fair, I walked in to the salesman my dad has bought 3 trucks from and asked him if he will take my X-plan pin. He said no problem, he also got me into Fords college student purchase program which is another $750 off. (You qualify for this if you have graduated within the last two years). Ultimately ended up a little below dealer invoice, was a seamless and stress free purchase.
Sponsored

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
With the exception to his calling a Lariat a base level, he’s not wrong in his general premise. The dealers adding these markups are hurting the brand and the customers at the alter of the almighty dollar.

While I was waiting for a VIN in July 2022, I found a Tremor locally on the lot. The web listing showed nearly 16k in accessories. Morbid curiosity led me to drive the hourlong trek from work to check it out. When I arrived, there it was and I took one look and laughed. There were no additional accessories (nor did I think there were) it was only a nearly $16k markup. This dealer had nearly no inventory, but what they did have was marked up. They had 302A rocky ridge F150s at 95k to 115k.

After seeing this, I decided to continue on my path and wait patiently for a schedule date which I soon received and saved some serious cash with @JerseyShoreFord.

Franchised dealers, be it Ford or any other manufacturer, will try the Gordon Gecko mindset and eventually shoot themselves in the foot.

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
Ford has much bigger issues than just price gouging dealers that are going to get what they deserve this year, their quality issues, never-ending-deletes, and price raises have me seriously pausing purchasing another vehicle. I was looking at getting a 2024 dark horse but yeah, I think I've had enough BS from ford for the foreseeable future. Especially crap service departments and part shortages.

Meanwhile there's idled and closing factories in china while ford makes one bad move after another. I won't buy another ford until at the very least they ditch the CEO for one who actually knows which end is up.
100% agree. Ford‘s quality sucks, and their supply chain for replacement parts for warranty items and recalls is totally jacked up.

The company seems dysfunctional and rudderless.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
100% agree. Ford‘s quality sucks, and their supply chain for replacement parts for warranty items and recalls is totally jacked up.

The company seems dysfunctional and rudderless.
Based on his last remarks, he agrees that the company is dysfunctional and rudderless. He even harkens back to mullaley’s term as ceo and said that since those days, the dysfunction has returned. He’s got a tough road ahead to right the ship.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
Definitely not unique to Ford dealers and highly dependent on the dealership.

We went looking for a new car for my wife last August. We ended up with a Subaru Outback at msrp. Out of seven or eight different dealerships and brands we visited the Subaru dealer was one of 2 not adding a "gouge the consumer fee" above sticker price. The Nissan dealer was adding over $5k above sticker on the Pathfinder we looked at.

While it is a crappy situation, dealers are getting away with it because people are still buying. I understand some people absolutely have to buy now for various reasons, but those that don't need to "vote with their feet."

I got my truck on X-Plan and a couple other discounts from Ford. On orders the dealership I used honors the price agreed to at the time of the order (usually MSRP) and you get the choice of incentives on delivery (either what was being offered when you ordered or when you take delivery) as allowed by Ford.

The dealer would have loved for me to refuse the truck because they easily could have sold it at MSRP and probably could have gotten more if they wanted to. They even negotiated on my trade in and gave me an offer on the higher side of my research. That is the key - know what your numbers should be before you go to the dealer and be willing to walk if they don't meet them.

Sponsored

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
My dealer was fair, I walked in to the salesman my dad has bought 3 trucks from and asked him if he will take my X-plan pin. He said no problem, he also got me into Fords college student purchase program which is another $750 off. (You qualify for this if you have graduated within the last two years). Ultimately ended up a little below dealer invoice, was a seamless and stress free purchase.
My dealer was fair too. Once I got away from the salesman and talked to manager he said this, "If you want a truck on the lot, I've got to rake you over the coals on the price. If you order one, I can give you a good deal (X Plan)".

Even if you don't like what you are hearing, honesty earns respect. I'll buy there again IF I get another Ford. This is my first ever Ford after 25 years of GM ownership and the jury is still out.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Nobody forced anyone to buy a vehicle with dealer markup.
The YouTube guys and their fake or misguided outrage need to grow up.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Nobody forced anyone to buy a vehicle with dealer markup.
The YouTube guys and their fake or misguided outrage need to grow up.
It makes them too much $$$.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Based on his last remarks, he agrees that the company is dysfunctional and rudderless. He even harkens back to mullaley’s term as ceo and said that since those days, the dysfunction has returned. He’s got a tough road ahead to right the ship.
This is a mess of his own making. Before tesla showed up, munro who does a lot of work with/for ford and just about every other OEM, even spent a decade working there, was pushing the mega castings FOR 15 YEARS. Tesla comes in w/ the model 3 after figuring out the basics, makes it just like legacy auto, munro got ahold of it and basically said it was shit. Elon sees this, hears munro telling him to go to large castings and in just a few years the car has now moved into single piece castings front and rear, production speed increases, costs decrease, quality of the parts as well as strength goes through the roof.

The point, tesla listened and immediately started to pivot and has seen substantial cost reductions and quality improvements. Ford, well it's still the same old ford while the chinese (who've decided to copy tesla's moves as fast as possible---the reason tesla has the only privately owned business in china) is taking europe by storm and will soon invade the US w/ vehicles in the same manner the japanese did during the 70s.

Look at Ford's engines -- they've 10 or 11 turbo'd ICE engines, 6 or 7 naturally aspirated and some diesels. On the EV front they have 2 different motor types for the MME, the lightning has yet another one, they've got at least 3 hybrid motors. Meanwhile tesla has moved to a single motor that's found in everything from the 3, Y, even the S Plaid and yes, the semi. They ALL share the same motor. A 4 door econobox and the semitruck have the SAME motors. Then there's parts like the ambient lighting which those of us with 22s and up are adding back. They've got SEVEN unique parts where just two would do. That's insane -- and it's all due to poor leadership accepting excuses over results. There is no excuse, the CEO must be canned.

OffRod150

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 XLT, 66 mustang
Occupation
Construction
I watched part of this on my Youtube when it popped up. This guy is just a negative nilly and was probably never even in the market for a Ford or any other new vehicle and is just looking for followers. A "Ken" if you will. Some dealers may be in trouble for shenanigans and marking up vehicles and thats good, but FoMoCo isnt hurting at all. They just got a One Billion dollar tax grant courtesy of the MI taxpayers to build a new facility in MI.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Disagree, Ford is hurting a lot. Their Q4 was down 90% year over year.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
In all fairness, the forward thinking of Tesla regarding manufacturing and design VS Ford?
You could say the same VS......... A loooong list.

It appears it's harder to change than most would imagine.

Ford's next iteration of the Lightning will tell us a lot about such things. It'll be a dedicated EV, so it'll be interesting to see if they can shake the legacy DNA off much.

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
This is a mess of his own making. Before tesla showed up, munro who does a lot of work with/for ford and just about every other OEM, even spent a decade working there, was pushing the mega castings FOR 15 YEARS. Tesla comes in w/ the model 3 after figuring out the basics, makes it just like legacy auto, munro got ahold of it and basically said it was shit. Elon sees this, hears munro telling him to go to large castings and in just a few years the car has now moved into single piece castings front and rear, production speed increases, costs decrease, quality of the parts as well as strength goes through the roof.

The point, tesla listened and immediately started to pivot and has seen substantial cost reductions and quality improvements. Ford, well it's still the same old ford while the chinese (who've decided to copy tesla's moves as fast as possible---the reason tesla has the only privately owned business in china) is taking europe by storm and will soon invade the US w/ vehicles in the same manner the japanese did during the 70s.

Look at Ford's engines -- they've 10 or 11 turbo'd ICE engines, 6 or 7 naturally aspirated and some diesels. On the EV front they have 2 different motor types for the MME, the lightning has yet another one, they've got at least 3 hybrid motors. Meanwhile tesla has moved to a single motor that's found in everything from the 3, Y, even the S Plaid and yes, the semi. They ALL share the same motor. A 4 door econobox and the semitruck have the SAME motors. Then there's parts like the ambient lighting which those of us with 22s and up are adding back. They've got SEVEN unique parts where just two would do. That's insane -- and it's all due to poor leadership accepting excuses over results. There is no excuse, the CEO must be canned.

Listening to Tesla's Investor Day presentation today, it was eye opening how far ahead Tesla is in design, manufacturing, and software.

The discussion on Tesla's vertical integration vs OEMs like Ford who rely on Tier I and Tier 2 suppliers, who in turn subcontract out work, explains why Ford's supply chain is so f'd up and why Ford is so slow to resolve quality problems.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
It wasn't all dealers....remember that when you get ready for your next purchase!

EDIT: If I wasn't clear....I was saying I will only buy from the dealers who did not mark their vehicles above sticker.
I paid well under MSRP for my 22 F150. No dealer markup.

We bought a 22 Subaru Outback for my wife last year as well. Had a 4k dealer markup on the window sticker.
We did not pay it. Negotiated the deal, trade in, etc. Before she signed said take off that markup or no deal.

If people are crazy if they pay for any dealer markup.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
Once I got away from the salesman and talked to manager he said this, "If you want a truck on the lot, I've got to rake you over the coals on the price. If you order one, I can give you a good deal (X Plan)".
And it varies between dealers as well. I was able to buy my truck that was an abandoned customer order with x plan. All you can do is ask. Worst thing they can tell you is no. Then you can move on looking for a truck to buy and they can be stuck with a truck that they have to sell.

Unless you're in a situation where you absolutely need the vehicle ASAP, sometimes the best thing to do it take a step back and grab lunch or a night to mull it over. Don't let the salesman put you into a spot that makes you regret it a week later.
Sponsored