Sponsored

First of Many electric vehcile woe stories?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The way its programmed makes the difference. This is a series hybrid. An electric motor has very high power & torque at zero rpm, tapering off as rpm raises. The ICE must get rolling to produce rated power and torque. So how the programming is set up to transfer power from one to the other as the truck accelerates makes a real difference. EG Max goes to the motor on punching it, then the power is shifted as the engine comes into its power band and battery deplection is becoming a factor, followed by the turbos kicking in to further raise power. Contrast this with the BEV where it's all battery where power output is decreasing with acceleration while battery depletion is farther out (hopefully).
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
With the millions of very dirty diesel engines in operation and all the health problems caused by their exhaust particulates the fastest way to reduce overall pollution is by adding zero pollution vehicles, particularly in major cities.

When we went shopping for an EV last year a major concern was with the many EVs that lacked a spare tire. In the event of a flat it would be necessary to have a flat bed tow truck take the car to a tire store to have the tire replaced. If that happened on the way to the airport or hundreds of miles from you home and at night it would mean having the vehicle dropped off at a tire store and then spending the night(s) at a hotel and then hoping that the tire store had a replacement tire.

I learned from highway patrol officers that changing a tire on the side of the road is very very dangerous and better to destroy the flat tire by driving to where it was safe to change than take a chance of having an inattentive motorist (which is the majority of drivers today) smashing into the vehicle and killing anyone inside or beside it.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
With the millions of very dirty diesel engines in operation and all the health problems caused by their exhaust particulates the fastest way to reduce overall pollution is by adding zero pollution vehicles, particularly in major cities.

When we went shopping for an EV last year a major concern was with the many EVs that lacked a spare tire. In the event of a flat it would be necessary to have a flat bed tow truck take the car to a tire store to have the tire replaced. If that happened on the way to the airport or hundreds of miles from you home and at night it would mean having the vehicle dropped off at a tire store and then spending the night(s) at a hotel and then hoping that the tire store had a replacement tire.

I learned from highway patrol officers that changing a tire on the side of the road is very very dangerous and better to destroy the flat tire by driving to where it was safe to change than take a chance of having an inattentive motorist (which is the majority of drivers today) smashing into the vehicle and killing anyone inside or beside it.
i am not going to say your are wrong...but i will say this
since 2009 most OTR diesels engines have been equipped with particulate filters, selective catalyst , exhaust fluid systems and actually burn many times cleaner than the engines from 2006
heavier engines. with very few exceptions

my bus is a 2008 has the particulate filter that burns off the soot particles ..its tailpipe is SHINY clean all the time, not black and sooty, the chrome is only showing slight over heat signs as the dpf runs around 1300 to do away with the particulate matter.

my 2021 f250 exhaust was so clean you would swear it was brand new

the rolling coal light duty trucks are quickly becoming a thing of the past as epa and state crackdown on the modifying of said exhaust systems
as the older engines die off, they will become less and less and even now are only very small fraction of particulate emissions
there is no high sulphur diesel fuel for otr vehicles and even off road machines are now equipped with reduction systems like their on road counterparts

it has been well documented that the modern diesel engine in on road vehicles actually emits much cleaner air than what it ingested to run.
so as the very old now trucks get replaced or rebuilt engines go in, the sooty belchy stuff is all but gone

Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
How did you miss the many stories about the auto companies using various techniques to cheat the emissions testing for their diesel powered vehicles?

I had a diesel powered pickup with a 2011 engine that used ultra low sulfur diesel fuel but it was still very dirty. Diesel fuel is inherently dirty and with the hundreds of thousands of particles in each gallon of diesel burned this fuel also is very hard on the fuel injectors that have a life that is at best half that of a gas engine. Even with 98.7% fuel filtration there are 240,000 particals that get past the filter and end up in the exhaust.

These particles in the exhaust are why diesel engines are responsible for so many respiratory illness in urban areas. The asthma ER costs alone are over $19 billion a year and many billions more are spent on corticosteroid inhalers.

boo radley

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 F150 1992 F150, 1999 F150, 2004 F150, 2013 F150
The world is not ready for EVs.

They are good for short trips and running errands. I have read that the F150 lighting tows like a beast. Uphill like nothing is behind the truck.

The hybrid is the way to go in lieu of diving in head first. Eventually they will figure out how to get more range from EVs. I have wondered why they can't have generators at each wheel. Somewhat self perpetuating. As the wheels roll they generate power for the vehicle and batteries. Isn't that what those wind turbines do?

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
How did you miss the many stories about the auto companies using various techniques to cheat the emissions testing for their diesel powered vehicles?

I had a diesel powered pickup with a 2011 engine that used ultra low sulfur diesel fuel but it was still very dirty. Diesel fuel is inherently dirty and with the hundreds of thousands of particles in each gallon of diesel burned this fuel also is very hard on the fuel injectors that have a life that is at best half that of a gas engine. Even with 98.7% fuel filtration there are 240,000 particals that get past the filter and end up in the exhaust.

These particles in the exhaust are why diesel engines are responsible for so many respiratory illness in urban areas. The asthma ER costs alone are over $19 billion a year and many billions more are spent on corticosteroid inhalers.
volkswagon

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
The world is not ready for EVs.

They are good for short trips and running errands. I have read that the F150 lighting tows like a beast. Uphill like nothing is behind the truck.

The hybrid is the way to go in lieu of diving in head first. Eventually they will figure out how to get more range from EVs. I have wondered why they can't have generators at each wheel. Somewhat self perpetuating. As the wheels roll they generate power for the vehicle and batteries. Isn't that what those wind turbines do?
They do have generators, that's what regenerative braking is.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I have wondered why they can't have generators at each wheel. Somewhat self perpetuating. As the wheels roll they generate power for the vehicle and batteries. Isn't that what those wind turbines do?
Yes -- why can't we have perpetual energy vehicles :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Got home about 3 hours ago.
I parked in my RV charging spot and plugged in.

Ford F-150 First of Many electric vehcile woe stories? 20230808_174507

Tomorrow is Saturday and I have no reason to do anything more than perhaps run around town for errands. So probably will only charge to 75%

Leafs version of FordPass. 3 minutes ago.

Ford F-150 First of Many electric vehcile woe stories? Screenshot_20230818_193308_EV&Services

EV's are no longer just a few makes/models with similar battery technology and range. There's now numerous luxury yachts with huge range beyond 300 miles at interstate speeds. Even 400+ (expensive vehicles though. Today's $70,000 luxury F150 make these EV's blush at their MSRP)

And battery technology has wide variances too. The Leaf above is very much an entry level battery with fairly modern chemistry, but stone age thermal management. (None, to be exact! 😢🤣 You manage it yourself if you want to avoid shortening it's lifespan)

Charge time is all over the map too on the current EV offerings. Again, the Leaf battery technology is NOT for someone on-the-go who needs a quick 50-100 mile shot in the arm with 15 minutes at the pump. But there are now more and more EV's showing up with sophisticated charging strategies and thermal management and they CAN stop at Buc-ee's and get 100 miles of ions while they grab a drink and pee.

My point being is that just comparing range between EVs is no longer apples/apples.
There are EV's with identical ranges yet one is a potential road warrior (recharge prowess) and the other best be arriving home when it gets the LBW. (LowBatteryWarning)

I think they'll catch more traction when the entry level choices are priced competitively with a Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla, yet have current level battery management (thermal and charging) found on the higher end EV's.

The current Chevy Bolt is technologically a fantastic example. (too bad it's trying to look so EV, although the EUV version actually looks fairly traditional)

I would love something like the Ford Maverick with the EV package from the current 2023 Bolt. Give me XLT trim at 27K MSRP?

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
My son has had his Maverick a little over a year. He averages 40 miles a gallon mixed driving. It’s been problem free for him. I could see it selling pretty well with a full EV option.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
^^^

It would be an awesome platform for a ~200 mile range entry level super versatile EV.

Bare bones trim (XL Pro) ~$25k
XLT (301A) starting around 27K
And let the over $30K-40K folks have one dolled up to their delight.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
My son has had his Maverick a little over a year. He averages 40 miles a gallon mixed driving. It’s been problem free for him. I could see it selling pretty well with a full EV option.
when my parents hybrid mav is running top notch...he gets close to 40 most speeds
but mom drives 75 plus so it tapers off
i used it one day to ferry them around and i like the AC is on and nice and cold and the ice is OFF
i played with the regen braking coach.. but its tooooo small for my svelte frame long term

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Yea, I’m not giving up my full size Platinum for one, but it would be a nice compliment to my f150.
Sponsored