Sponsored

First of Many electric vehcile woe stories?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
One of the core issues for battery powered vehicles is what level of purity in battery components is specified. Note my remark above about the Escape Hybrid NiMH battery. Ford specified a very high level of purity. This then translates to longer life and far lower self discharge rates. One of the problems that will eventually arise will be the cost vs lifetime of replacement batteries. In other words junk manufacturers will arise and people will start finding that "cheap" batteries don't pay. But I still will pay lots of attention to electric vehicles operated in places that get really cold in the winter.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
She seems to be very fair about the science regarding EV adoption.
(Full disclosure: I have an electric car. So I'm already beyond my previous eye-roll stage from a few years ago)

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
More than 1 million registered electric vehicles in California alone. There is a lot of FUD (fear, anxiety, doubt) being spewed by the gas and oil minions to slow the progression to electric vehicles and their billions in profits.
It's the same reason we don't have nuke plants everywhere -- the oil/gas lobby.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
That and the NIMBY crowd!
Yeah, well that's easy to fix, discount power to the whiners. NDA + wholesale rates.
My PoCo's EV plan = 1.49 cents/kWh for all power consumed from 11p-7a (365), 6.9 cents all other times sans summer peak months from 2-7pm, that's ~21 cents. (meter charge of 49 cents / day).

The building I'm working on will only buy power over-night, and that's only because it's super cheap and I can be super wasteful (2400sqft garage space kept at 70 degrees year round). Otherwise with more careful usage it won't need the grid at all.
Sponsored

Last edited: