Sponsored

Fading white on middle of steering wheel??

STexas90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Has anyone noticed or seen this on their steering wheel? I haven’t used any chemicals or anything on this area. I notice when you get it wet it goes away for a bit then comes back.

Not my steering shown, but picture for reference.

Ford F-150 Fading white on middle of steering wheel?? IMG_9373
Sponsored

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
This is interesting i have seen this before on my kubota tractors seat but its only its in a small patch. I have tried some vinyl cleaner on it but that didnt work. From what i can find online its known to happen with vinyl dashboards. i have no idea what it is, what causes it, or how to fix it but Here is what i could find online about it. It may be caused by off gassing of the plastic (seems likely) and a possible permanent/ tempory fix was to use 303 aerospace protectant.

hopefully someone will know of what it is or an actual fix because i would like to know.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Has anyone noticed or seen this on their steering wheel? I haven’t used any chemicals or anything on this area. I notice when you get it wet it goes away for a bit then comes back.

Not my steering shown, but picture for reference.

IMG_9373.png
Yes!! Just noticed that the other day, asked my wife "What the hell is it", then forgot about it and didn't check again. I don't use any chemicals to clean inside and don't drive too often.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Looks to just be UV fadding. But these trucks should be too new for that much already. My guess is there is a batch of 'horn covers' that didn't get a UV protectant on them.

1. Warranty it with your dealer
2. A vinyl conditioner will shine it back up just like waxing a cars paint. But it will require to reapply every once in a while.
3. **EXTREAM CAUTION HERE** I've seen video's on the internet (take it with a grain of salt) heat will restore UV damaged plastics. Use a heat gun or small butane torch to quickly pass over the effected area. Again I would do a lot of research and even some test runs on this method before ever trying it on my truck....

I'll have to take a look at mine now and see. I have a 2021 with 30k miles on it, but mine is kept in garage, so it's actual life sun exposure is less, and I live in MN so we don't have the same solar power impact here as opposed to someone south.

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
This is interesting i have seen this before on my kubota tractors seat but its only its in a small patch. I have tried some vinyl cleaner on it but that didnt work. From what i can find online its known to happen with vinyl dashboards. i have no idea what it is, what causes it, or how to fix it but Here is what i could find online about it. It may be caused by off gassing of the plastic (seems likely) and a possible permanent/ tempory fix was to use 303 aerospace protectant.

hopefully someone will know of what it is or an actual fix because i would like to know.
Well after my post I read yours, and that very well could be what it is. (off gassing of the plastic). Similar to when you put a hot plate/pan on a wood table and you get that "white" spot.
What causes that is heat, the material gets hot, where outter most layer expands enough to become porous and essentially traps condensation under it.

How you fix that situation is with heat. Use a heat gun (not a hair dryer, won't be hot enough) and apply heat to basically re-expand the outer layer and dries up the trapped vapor. I have done this on a table, works great! But that is made of wood....not plastic. So I don't know how careful you'd have to be to get it to work without melting/burning/distorting the plastic...

Sponsored

OP
OP
STexas90

STexas90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Looks to just be UV fadding. But these trucks should be too new for that much already. My guess is there is a batch of 'horn covers' that didn't get a UV protectant on them.

1. Warranty it with your dealer
2. A vinyl conditioner will shine it back up just like waxing a cars paint. But it will require to reapply every once in a while.
3. **EXTREAM CAUTION HERE** I've seen video's on the internet (take it with a grain of salt) heat will restore UV damaged plastics. Use a heat gun or small butane torch to quickly pass over the effected area. Again I would do a lot of research and even some test runs on this method before ever trying it on my truck....

I'll have to take a look at mine now and see. I have a 2021 with 30k miles on it, but mine is kept in garage, so it's actual life sun exposure is less, and I live in MN so we don't have the same solar power impact here as opposed to someone south.

I was thinking the exact thing you said, it’s funny because if you wet it goes away but comes back slowly over time too.

OP
OP
STexas90

STexas90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Well after my post I read yours, and that very well could be what it is. (off gassing of the plastic). Similar to when you put a hot plate/pan on a wood table and you get that "white" spot.
What causes that is heat, the material gets hot, where outter most layer expands enough to become porous and essentially traps condensation under it.

How you fix that situation is with heat. Use a heat gun (not a hair dryer, won't be hot enough) and apply heat to basically re-expand the outer layer and dries up the trapped vapor. I have done this on a table, works great! But that is made of wood....not plastic. So I don't know how careful you'd have to be to get it to work without melting/burning/distorting the plastic...

Seems exactly what it is, because if you wet it even with spit it goes away and slowly comes back over time, I’m wondering like that other post mentioned 303 aerospace might fix the issue.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Get some meguiars or armor all interior detailer and it will put some oils back into the plastic and keep it darker

garagegymgoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Star White Lariat 502A w/ BAP
I just noticed this the other day on mine as well. Licked my finger and wiped it and it went away for a bit. I'll probably take to to dealer to start paper trail. Even if they can't fix it, only way for Ford to know about potential quality defects with parts is through warranty process...so not taking it in is doing everyone a disservice.

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Don't do that heat thing with plastic.
You cook the oils out of it making it more brittle.

Warranty it. New truck should still look new.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Mine also is doing this, though not near as bad, my interior has been protected with 303 since day one. I also have ceramic tint on every piece of glass. It has to be something to do with the off gassing of the plastic. That piece always has a slightly different sheen then the rest of the plastics.

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2
Have the same issue here too!

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Get some meguiars or armor all interior detailer and it will put some oils back into the plastic and keep it darker
Can you elaborate on these? Never used specialty products so I am clueless about them. How do you apply it?

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Just clean the surface then apply with a microfiber towel then wipe clean with a fresh towel.
Sponsored