Sponsored

Cleaning suede / leather on the doors of F150 Platinum interior?

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Hey Guys,
How is every cleaning the new Interior that has the suede/leather on the doors? It doesn’t seem like you would want to put normal armor all type cleaning solutions on the nice material. I assume leather conditioner on the leather but I’m really more sure on the suede portion?
Sponsored

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Hey Guys,
How is every cleaning the new Interior that has the suede/leather on the doors? It doesn’t seem like you would want to put normal armor all type cleaning solutions on the nice material. I assume leather conditioner on the leather but I’m really more sure on the suede portion?
About a decade ago, I was told that ArmorAll is not a brand you want to use on a vehicle you care about. I’ve stayed away from the brand ever since, opting for Meguiar’s. I’m sure everyone will have their favorite brands and perhaps ArmorAll has since improved, but I’d be skeptical of that brand.
To answer your question about suede, give this a read: https://adamspolishes.com/pages/how-to-clean-suede-interior
And since I’m a Maguiar’s fan boy, I’d recommend this: https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...cleaner-car-upholstery-cleaner-fabric-cleaner

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you sir. Haha I agree with the armor all statement but that name is forever burned in my brain from the old days. I agree I use MeGuiars as well.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Guys,
@Lpetters84,

First, I definitely agree with @NumbersGuy. Armor All leaves a greasy film on your leather and also leaves a greasy film on your windshield as it off-gasses. Not good.

Second, unlike older vehicles, which did need to be conditioned, all modern leather car seats now come with a sealer from the factory, so there is no point in applying a conditioner to the sealer (it will never get to the leather!)

Using a good leather cleaning product makes sense. But my understanding is, if you want to preserve the leather for the long term, that you should apply a ceramic coating made for leather. These are easy to apply and dry quickly to a matte finish, leaving no residue.

I strongly urge folks to watch the below video ‘How to Detail A New Car’ from the largest Detailer on YouTube. It includes instructions to give to your Dealer before they do their ‘new car prep’.

I hope you find it helpful.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks Madman. I’ll be sure to watch the video. While we are on the topic of ceramic coating..Do you have any experience with ceramic coatings on the exterior of the vehicle? I don’t know the first thing about them but they seem to be a good protective barrier for your paint and are becoming more popular.

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks Madman. I’ll be sure to watch the video. While we are on the topic of ceramic coating..Do you have any experience with ceramic coatings on the exterior of the vehicle? I don’t know the first thing about them but they seem to be a good protective barrier for your paint and are becoming more popular.
My personal experience is limited to Waxes, Sealers, and Hybrid Ceramic Waxes.

That said, I have already purchased the ceramic coat prepping and coating products that I intend to apply to my truck. I can’t tell you how many Detailer video’s I’ve seen to fill the time waiting. Lots of good products out there. By all accounts, this should be doable by the average detailing enthusiast provided you want to invest the time.

There are so-called graphemes coatings out there as well but I have seen mixed reviews. Perhaps just too new.

The CarPro Products (namely CarPro CQ Quartz U.K.) have been at the top of the list for several years now. There are other newer manufacturers which are also highly rated but these guys have a long and proven track record and still remain at the top.

CQ.UK Quartz 3.0 (ceramic coating)
Gliss (top coat gloss)
DLUC (coating for plastics and rubber)
Leather (?)

In my garage -
Ford F-150 Cleaning suede / leather on the doors of F150 Platinum interior? 1619480535352

If you’re interested in learning about doing this yourself, this guy Pan the Organizer is an excellent place to start. None better or bigger.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

That said, I have already purchased the ceramic coat prepping and coating products that I intend to apply to my truck. I can’t tell you how many Detailer video’s I’ve seen to fill the time waiting. Lots of good products out there. By all accounts, this should be doable by the average detailing enthusiast provided you want to invest the time.

There are so-called graphemes coatings out there as well but I have seen mixed reviews. Perhaps just too new.

The CarPro Products (namely CarPro CQ Quartz U.K.) have been at the top of the list for several years now. There are other newer manufacturers which are also highly rated but these guys have a long and proven track record and still remain at the top.

Gliss (top coat gloss)
Leather (?)

In my garage -
1619480535352.jpeg

If you’re interested in learning about doing this yourself, this guy Pan the Organizer is an excellent place to start. None better or bigger.
Thank you sir. I know the feeling. I just ordered Saturday so who knows when I’ll see a truck in my driveway. I’m pretty sure I will have watched every YouTube video on earth regarding the 2021 F150.

Larry Arizona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2019 F150
I am confident the door inserts are faux suede (alcantara). These faux suede materials are microfiber and therefore you use the same cleaners as microfiber furniture.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I am confident the door inserts are faux suede (alcantara). These faux suede materials are microfiber and therefore you use the same cleaners as microfiber furniture.
Correct. They are Alcantera.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
To clean it I use Chemical Guys cleaner and conditioner and use a Boar hair leather brush. I also applied the Quart Leather Ceramic Coating to all leather looking thing; Seats, center console, door inserts, steering wheel.

Sponsored

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
To clean it I use Chemical Guys cleaner and conditioner and use a Boar hair leather brush. I also applied the Quart Leather Ceramic Coating to all leather looking thing; Seats, center console, door inserts, steering wheel.
Did the leather coating affect the sheen or color any? What brand did you use?

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did the leather coating affect the sheen or color any? What brand did you use?
I used C.Quartz Leather (the one madman posted above) it didnt affect the color itself but it does makes it look a little more shiny, like when you apply dressing or protectant on black trim plastics.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Gliss (top coat gloss)
Leather (?)

In my garage -
1619480535352.jpeg

@Madman- have you applied the ceramic coating to your truck yet? If so, do you mind sharing your results? I’m considering buying the brand you reference above. I would assume the 50ml kit for a truck this size?

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@Madman- have you applied the ceramic coating to your truck yet? If so, do you mind sharing your results? I’m considering buying the brand you reference above. I would assume the 50ml kit for a truck this size?
@Lpetters84 -

Yes I did! It took me 1.5 weekends because I went all-in on the prep work and applied a total of 3 coats of protectant. (Probably went waaaaay overboard but I was excited to do the best job I could). I’m sure that a professional Detailer would have done so in less than half the time but no complaints here!

Details (pun intended):

1. FIRST COATING
Prep Work:
A) Foam wash (CarPro Lift)
B) Hand wash, towel dry
C) Decontamination (Iron-X, rinse, Tar-X, rinse)
D) Second hand wash, towel dry
E) Inspect paint and Claybar, if/where needed
F) Mechanical Polish entire vehicle (CarPro Essence)
G) Final IPA wipe-down (CarPro Eraser)
Applied 3 Types of Coatings:
A) CQuartz UK 3.0 to paint, to doorjambs, and to wheels. (Used whole 50ml bottle).
B) CarPro DLUX ceramic coating to all exterior plastic surfaces. (Used whole 30 ml bottle).
C) 2 coats of CarPro FlyBy30 ceramic coating to moonroof, windshield, and rear window. (Used whole 30 ml bottle).

2. SECOND COATING (done 1 week later)
Prep Work:
A) Foam wash (CarPro Lift)
B) Hand wash, towel dry
Coatings:
A) CQuartz UK 3.0 coat #2 to paint, to doorjambs, and to wheels. (Used whole 30ml bottle)

3. THIRD COATING (done 4 hours later)
Prep Work:
A) Quick IPA wipe-down (CarPro Eraser) for dust
Coatings:
A) CarPro Gliss 2.0 as a sacrificial glossy top-coat to paint, to doorjambs, and to wheels. (Used whole 30ml bottle)

Again, I probably went way overboard on this (my wife certainly thinks so!) but it’s all done and the Truck is about as well protected as possible.

Let me know if I can be of further help. Happy to do so!