Sponsored

Cleaning suede / leather on the doors of F150 Platinum interior?

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Here it is, 4 days later.

3A3CB799-1004-4DB4-9918-14E27938DA26.jpeg
Oh my that’s gorgeous! I do believe you win the cleanest Platinum award. Im seeing online that you can potentially mess the coating up and leave high spots if you miss a spot. I assume you didn’t run into any issues? Now to somehow secretly buy all this stuff without my wife knowing.
( it came from the factory that way ?)

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Oh my that’s gorgeous! I do believe you win the cleanest Platinum award. Im seeing online that you can potentially mess the coating up and leave high spots if you miss a spot. I assume you didn’t run into any issues? Now to somehow secretly buy all this stuff without my wife knowing.
( it came from the factory that way ?)

Thanks for the info.
@ Lpetters84 -

Happy to help!

I did have a few and minor ‘high spots’. When fresh (less than 1 hour old), you can just rub in a bit more coating and the solvent will take care of it. If on the paint longer, it leaves a slightly darker and semi-permanent mark on the finish. But it’s not like I could feel the difference. This is why the instructions (and Pan’s video) have you apply the coatings and wife off a small area at a time. I don’t think you should have any problem if you take your time.

Best of luck to you. Let me know how it comes out!

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@ Lpetters84 -

Happy to help!

I did have a few and minor ‘high spots’. When fresh (less than 1 hour old), you can just rub in a bit more coating and the solvent will take care of it. If on the paint longer, it leaves a slightly darker and semi-permanent mark on the finish. But it’s not like I could feel the difference. This is why the instructions (and Pan’s video) have you apply the coatings and wife off a small area at a time. I don’t think you should have any problem if you take your time.

Best of luck to you. Let me know how it comes out!
[/QUOTE
@Madman - I finally decided to buy the C Quartz UK 3.0 and had a couple more questions:
1- did you apply the coating over FX4 decal?
2- did you apply over the Platinum applique on the tailgate?
3- did you apply on the front grill (the brushed aluminum & chrome )
4- did you apply on chrome mirror caps?
5- did you apply over headlights/taillights?

sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure I get this right the first time?

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
@Lpetters84 -

Yes I did! It took me 1.5 weekends because I went all-in on the prep work and applied a total of 3 coats of protectant. (Probably went waaaaay overboard but I was excited to do the best job I could). I’m sure that a professional Detailer would have done so in less than half the time but no complaints here!

Details (pun intended):

1. FIRST COATING
Prep Work:
A) Foam wash (CarPro Lift)
B) Hand wash, towel dry
C) Decontamination (Iron-X, rinse, Tar-X, rinse)
D) Second hand wash, towel dry
E) Inspect paint and Claybar, if/where needed
F) Mechanical Polish entire vehicle (CarPro Essence)
G) Final IPA wipe-down (CarPro Eraser)
Applied 3 Types of Coatings:
A) CQuartz UK 3.0 to paint, to doorjambs, and to wheels. (Used whole 50ml bottle).
B) CarPro DLUX ceramic coating to all exterior plastic surfaces. (Used whole 30 ml bottle).
C) 2 coats of CarPro FlyBy30 ceramic coating to moonroof, windshield, and rear window. (Used whole 30 ml bottle).

2. SECOND COATING (done 1 week later)
Prep Work:
A) Foam wash (CarPro Lift)
B) Hand wash, towel dry
Coatings:
A) CQuartz UK 3.0 coat #2 to paint, to doorjambs, and to wheels. (Used whole 30ml bottle)

3. THIRD COATING (done 4 hours later)
Prep Work:
A) Quick IPA wipe-down (CarPro Eraser) for dust
Coatings:
A) CarPro Gliss 2.0 as a sacrificial glossy top-coat to paint, to doorjambs, and to wheels. (Used whole 30ml bottle)

Again, I probably went way overboard on this (my wife certainly thinks so!) but it’s all done and the Truck is about as well protected as possible.

Let me know if I can be of further help. Happy to do so!
That’s amazing! You truly are a Madman!! Looks great

I just did wash, clay bar, polish/paint correct, ipa, 1 coat of Optimum Gloss Coat on paint, trim and wheels.

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s amazing! You truly are a Madman!! Looks great

I just did wash, clay bar, polish/paint correct, ipa, 1 coat of Optimum Gloss Coat on paint, trim and wheels.
I’m not planning on truly polishing the vehicle. Do you think it will make a big difference? I don’t have a polisher and I’ve never done it before.

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@Lpetters84 -

THAT IS IMPRESSIVE! IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU’VE GOTVTHE DETAILING BUG. THERE’S NO BETTER TIME TO START PROTECTING YOUR FINISH THAN WHEN THE VEHICLE IS NEW AND PRISTINE. WELL DONE.

IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

YES. UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING TO REMOVE THE DECAL, YOU CAN COAT RIGHT OVER THE DECAL.

YES. THAT AND ALL OTHER CHROME AND BRUSHED ALUMINUM.

YES, INCLUDING THE BLUE OVAL.

YES.

I DID NOT BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN SAFELY. I USED DLUX ON ALL PLASTIC, INCLUDING THOSE. IN HINDSIGHT, I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE JUST USED CQUARTZ UK 3.0. NO BIGGIE, THOUGH.

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND BEST OF LUCK!

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Lpetters84 -

THAT IS IMPRESSIVE! IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU’VE GOTVTHE DETAILING BUG. THERE’S NO BETTER TIME TO START PROTECTING YOUR FINISH THAN WHEN THE VEHICLE IS NEW AND PRISTINE. WELL DONE.

IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTIONS:

YES. UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING TO REMOVE THE DECAL, YOU CAN COAT RIGHT OVER THE DECAL.

YES. THAT AND ALL OTHER CHROME AND BRUSHED ALUMINUM.

YES, INCLUDING THE BLUE OVAL.

YES.

I DID NOT BUT I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN SAFELY. I USED DLUX ON ALL PLASTIC, INCLUDING THOSE. IN HINDSIGHT, I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE JUST USED CQUARTZ UK 3.0. NO BIGGIE, THOUGH.

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND BEST OF LUCK!
Thanks! I hope to apply the coating in the next couple of weeks.

FYI- you also have me hooked on Pan the Organizer ? He does great work!

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I’m not planning on truly polishing the vehicle. Do you think it will make a big difference? I don’t have a polisher and I’ve never done it before.
Given that it’s a new car, you probably don’t need it. If you have any ‘dealer-installed’ swirl marks that will bug you, it may be worthwhile but probably not. Personal preference.

FWIW - The orbital polishers are pretty safe on your paint and easy to use but can get pretty expensive (my Rupes was close to $450). But like I said, I went way overboard. ?

I’m sure your truck will look gorgeous. Remember to send pics of the finished product!!!

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Given that it’s a new car, you probably don’t need it. If you have any ‘dealer-installed’ swirl marks that will bug you, it may be worthwhile but probably not. Personal preference.

FWIW - The orbital polishers are pretty safe on your paint and easy to use but can get pretty expensive (my Rupes was close to $450). But like I said, I went way overboard. ?

I’m sure your truck will look gorgeous. Remember to send pics of the finished product!!!
Thanks madman. Here are the pre
Ceramic coat pics.

Ford F-150 Cleaning suede / leather on the doors of F150 Platinum interior? E9C19419-8A64-43DA-A76B-96FD1CF6F5B3

Ford F-150 Cleaning suede / leather on the doors of F150 Platinum interior? 1CBFE871-B305-4299-A305-B570EE0301A6

Ford F-150 Cleaning suede / leather on the doors of F150 Platinum interior? 105BDA60-2612-4DF7-80C6-9A09B8BC9E2C

Ford F-150 Cleaning suede / leather on the doors of F150 Platinum interior? 78A63835-EAB1-4CC7-9DA0-DF0FFB48FBD3

Ford F-150 Cleaning suede / leather on the doors of F150 Platinum interior? 2C733527-C210-4725-AB6C-9D398E0EB2A4

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
The paint on mine was in really good shape so I wouldn’t say polishing was critical. I was going for maximum shine so I polished just to be sure.
If you’re going to do a ceramic coat I do recommend synthetic clay rag, and some kind of paint cleaner right before applying ceramic coating. ( I use Optimum Paint Prep)

Not saying other brands aren’t great but I like Optimum Gloss Coat because it’s easy to apply and you can use it on the paint and plastic trim. I only had one high spot that I noticed a week later. And that was at 1 AM on the tailgate I could barely reach because of having to work with the garage door closed. (Rain). If you work in small sections and wipe down with a microfiber after application you’ll be fine.

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
The paint on mine was in really good shape so I wouldn’t say polishing was critical. I was going for maximum shine so I polished just to be sure.
If you’re going to do a ceramic coat I do recommend synthetic clay rag, and some kind of paint cleaner right before applying ceramic coating. ( I use Optimum Paint Prep)

Not saying other brands aren’t great but I like Optimum Gloss Coat because it’s easy to apply and you can use it on the paint and plastic trim. I only had one high spot that I noticed a week later. And that was at 1 AM on the tailgate I could barely reach because of having to work with the garage door closed. (Rain). If you work in small sections and wipe down with a microfiber after application you’ll be fine.
I agree 100%, @Heavishot. Great advice.

Coincidentally, the highspots I had were near the tailgate and hard to reach areas within my (now) cramped garage, something I also had to finish up at night and inside due to rain. :rolleyes:

Tyler17

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
With the leather ceramic coating, it wont affect the ventilated seats right? I don’t want anything swelling those holes closed but Id like to do the coating. Im having the exterior done professionally but i think i can handle the leather.

Rami Estrada

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Occupation
Student
There are a few things you should keep in mind when cleaning suede and leather. First, always test any cleaning solution in an inconspicuous area before using it on the entire piece. Second, never use harsh chemicals or brushes on suede (https://www.fabrichouse.com.au/guide-to-cleaning-satin/) – they can damage the surface. Instead, use a soft cloth or brush to gently remove dirt. For leather, you can use a slightly damp cloth to clean off dust and dirt. Be sure to dry the piece completely afterwards, as leather can become brittle if it’s not properly dried.
Sponsored