SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
Initial Testing

I recently added a FactionFab resonator delete pipe to my truck, and before I installed it, I decided to weld in an O2 sensor bung about 6" back from the flange so I could easily measure the back pressure in the system. I did this because I wanted to determine if there were any real gains to be had by replacing the factory muffler and tailpipe assembly on my single exhaust 3.5EB F150. What I found was that the back pressure gauge barely registers more than 0psi during light throttle driving as you would expect in a good system. When you go WOT the back pressure immediately jumps up to 2.5psi which isn’t terrible, but as you continue to accelerate the back pressure will climb and peak in the range of 3.5-4.0psi.

To be clear, this is 3.5-4.0psi of back pressure after the cats and before the muffler. It is possible that this reading would be a few psi higher had I measured directly in front of the cats at the turbo outlets. During my testing I also noted that exhaust manifold pressure peaked at 40psi during my WOT pulls but it quickly cycled between roughly 20.5 and 40psi as it seems to be greatly impacted by the exhaust valves opening and closing. My peak boost during the WOT pull was 18.65psi so the pressure ratio for the peak numbers is 2.14:1.

My Conclusion and Concerns

At this point I’ve decided that I do want to replace my exhaust system because of how restrictive it is, but finding anything that genuinely sounds good on the 3.5EB is a real challenge, especially when you limit yourself to full 304 stainless exhaust systems. I’ve had very loud exhausts in the past and I’m not afraid of some added noise, but I’m very concerned about how this truck will sound with the 3.5EB and I would like to err on the side of caution and go with something “too quiet” and not something “too loud”.

Trying to Pick an Exhaust System

Initially I thought that the obvious answer to reducing back pressure would be to build my own 3.5” single exhaust, but at that pipe size controlling noise and drone can be difficult. Going with a true dual 2.5” exhaust would be much more expensive, but with 2 resonators and 2 mufflers it should be very easy to keep things quiet while keeping roughly the same flow potential as the single 3.5” system.

As I continue to debate what I want to do, I noticed that Corsa advertises an 83% increase in flow with their single 3” exhaust system (#21166). In the past their F150 single 3” systems only offered modest 9%-18% increases in flow, but it seems that Ford has made the stock exhaust on the 2021+ F150 much more restrictive than it was on 2011-2020 F150s. I’m still not sure how I feel about the sound of the Corsa on the 3.5EB, but they have shown that a single 3” or dual 2.25” system should be sufficient when designed properly.

If anyone has a recommendation on an exhaust system for my 3.5EB I would love to hear it, I’m still very far from making a decision on exactly how I’d like to proceed with upgrading my exhaust.
Sponsored

Zappy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 5.0 XLT SCrew 4x4 Agate black
Occupation
Electrician
I had a Corsa db with resonator delete on my '14 3.5. I loved it, had a nice bark on 75% throttle. Cold starts had a bit of turbo whistle to it and the best part was no drone on the freeway, but you could hear the exhaust when accelerating to pass without being obnoxious. My wife didn't mind it.

I'm personally looking at SPD for my 5.0.

B3A$T

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
UA Pipefitter
I have the Corsa catback exhaust on my 3.5L Tremor and at start up and Idle it’s sounds just like a V8. It’s hard to make them sound any better than Corsa does, IMO. Performance is more important to me than sound. Just my two cents…

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Do any of these exhaust systems do anything to reduce the restriction of factory cats?

OP
OP

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
Do any of these exhaust systems do anything to reduce the restriction of factory cats?
Most companies only sell cat-back exhaust systems that bolt to the factory catalytic converters. I was told that CV Fab plans to release high flow catalytic converters for 2021+ F150s, but their release has been delayed for about 6 months and counting right now.

I've never used any CV Fab products before, but their high flow catalytic converters appear to be very high quality and they would probably be my first choice for trying to reduce any exhaust restriction caused by the factory catalytic converters.

If I'm feeling particularity bored and motivated one day when the shop is slow, I might remove my driver's side cat so I can weld in another test bung and see what the back pressure looks like right at the turbo outlet. I'm curious to know just how much extra back pressure I'd see in front of the factory catalytic converters.

Sponsored

B3A$T

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
UA Pipefitter
CV Fab told be the same thing. I’m looking for boost tubes and high flow downpipe before I do a dyno tune. Im currently running CV Fab charge pipes and the quality is great with a better design than Mishimoto.

Cranbery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
I waited for the borla on mine and I'm glad I did... I've been after SPD for a bit about the downpipes. They just released the gen3 raptor ones so the gen14s are hopefully this month. I did the black tips.

Ford F-150 Exhaust System Testing / Upgrading Discussion (EcoBoost 3.5L) 20230806_173408

Ford F-150 Exhaust System Testing / Upgrading Discussion (EcoBoost 3.5L) 20230806_173418

Ford F-150 Exhaust System Testing / Upgrading Discussion (EcoBoost 3.5L) 20230806_173448

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Following!

I enjoy your detailed analysis!

Codycat91

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
ER Nurse
CVF told me inlets would be ready this past July and downpipes later this year. When I reached out for an update recently, they told me the misspoke and don't know when anymore 🙄🙄
Ford F-150 Exhaust System Testing / Upgrading Discussion (EcoBoost 3.5L) IMG_2406
Ford F-150 Exhaust System Testing / Upgrading Discussion (EcoBoost 3.5L) IMG_2407

B3A$T

First Name
Parker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
UA Pipefitter
Thank you, for the info, bro!

Sponsored

OP
OP

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
I recently installed a Corsa 21166BLK 3.0" single exhaust system on my truck. Out of the box I wouldn't call it loud, but at certain RPMs it did produce a frequency that resonated throughout the cab of my truck. Even when this occurred it didn't sound very loud, but the vibration was annoying. I decided to address this by installing one of their 10.75" case length packed resonators in front of the rear axle where the stock muffler is located; this made a massive difference, the strong vibration is gone, and my exhaust has a quieter and deeper tone now.

With my new exhaust and measuring from the driver's seat, at a hot idle I'm reading 54dB, during normal cruising I'm reading 72-75dB, and at WOT I'm seeing about 82dB. This is definitely louder than stock, but still quiet enough to be comfortable.

When it comes to back pressure testing, the readings I got with my new exhaust were less than 0.5psi at WOT and during normal driving the needle on my gauge never moved off the 0psi stop. This is a great improvement over the 3.5-4.0 psi I saw at WOT with the stock exhaust.

Jracing123

First Name
Jer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 xlt 3.5
Occupation
Welder engineer
I recently installed a Corsa 21166BLK 3.0" single exhaust system on my truck. Out of the box I wouldn't call it loud, but at certain RPMs it did produce a frequency that resonated throughout the cab of my truck. Even when this occurred it didn't sound very loud, but the vibration was annoying. I decided to address this by installing one of their 10.75" case length packed resonators in front of the rear axle where the stock muffler is located; this made a massive difference, the strong vibration is gone, and my exhaust has a quieter and deeper tone now.

With my new exhaust and measuring from the driver's seat, at a hot idle I'm reading 54dB, during normal cruising I'm reading 72-75dB, and at WOT I'm seeing about 82dB. This is definitely louder than stock, but still quiet enough to be comfortable.

When it comes to back pressure testing, the readings I got with my new exhaust were less than 0.5psi at WOT and during normal driving the needle on my gauge never moved off the 0psi stop. This is a great improvement over the 3.5-4.0 psi I saw at WOT with the stock exhaust.
would you please post some video at idle and full throttle from the outside, thanks for all your research to!

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
A big part is that the manifolds themselves are step one. Full Race made a great set for the last gen, but confirmed that they aren't compatible with the current gen 3.5L. I think that for an exhaust system to really be worth it, you need the whole thing from the heads to the tip, with the single weakest link capping the performance of the entire system.

Full Race Manifold

OP
OP

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
would you please post some video at idle and full throttle from the outside, thanks for all your research to!
I'll try to get some full throttle videos this weekend, but here's a cold start with a few revs at the end.

OP
OP

SALEEN961

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Automotive Technician
Here are a few full throttle flyby clips stitched together

Sponsored