Sponsored

Engine revving while stopped after cold start

sledge4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 F-150 (XLT PB Hybrid, 302A, SAP, max tow)
I don’t know if this is common of the Hybrid as I’ve only had mine for two weeks but I wanted to see if anyone has insight.

It seems following cold starts, if I come to a stop shortly after pulling out such as a stop sign or red light the engine doesn’t go into electric and you hear the engine running at around 1000-1200 RPM and the MPG drops like a rock.

Only happens right after starting the truck and not at the time.

Was thinking maybe it’s not fully warm or maybe recharging battery from previous trip?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Do you have Eco-Idle enabled?
That allows the higher RPM idle to get the battery charged quicker

OP
OP
sledge4

sledge4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just checked… ECO idle is not turned on.

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner
Hybrids in general still want to get the engine up to operating temp before it starts shutting off the ICE.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Yeah, that’s normal. It’s an EPA requirement to light off the catalytic converter on cold start. So it won’t turn back off until that happens. In winter it’ll be on a lot more due to hvac requesting heat

OP
OP
sledge4

sledge4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok will check that out. Just nervous when it does it sometimes and not others.

Go to the Power Flow screen on the APIM display and it will tell you why the engine is running.

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
What’s the benefits of it? Does it prevent what I’m asking about?
No, it intentionally causes your truck to idle at a higher RPM so the battery charges faster, the engine heats up quicker, and the engine doesn't need to run as long.

Your truck will also idle higher until it is warmed up regardless if you have eco-idle on or not.

~800RPM idle without eco-idle and your truck is warmed up.
~1100-1500RPM idle with eco-idle or your truck is cold.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
What’s the benefits of it? Does it prevent what I’m asking about?
It will only make what you’re experiencing worse if you turn it on - it makes the engine idle at a higher speed in park. Doing so charges the battery faster and to a higher level, so it can idle for longer on electric mode. It does come with additional noise and vibration though. I run eco idle in the summer all the time, but turn it off in winter unless I’m extended idling due to I feel it burns more fuel before the engine hits operating temp.
(For those wondering my logic - it won’t start charging the battery until the engine coolant temp is around 140. That doesn’t stop it from running at the eco idle 1300rpm speed though. But since it’s not charging fast if at all, it will run at 1300 rpm for minutes on end)

Also a note - you can’t prevent what you’re describing. It’s an EPA requirement to warm the catalytic converter up. I agree though - it’s annoying when I know I just need to crawl to somewhere I’m gonna be sitting still a long time and it just sits there sucking gas idling because I accidentally let the engine start before then.

OP
OP
sledge4

sledge4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The catalytic converter temp makes sense but wouldn’t that be something that happens everytime it started needing to get to temp?

Like I said it’s not something that happens everytime. Seems to be after short car off periods.

I’ll try to pay attention more to if it happens if i let it warmup first or just start and take off.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I don’t know if this is common of the Hybrid as I’ve only had mine for two weeks but I wanted to see if anyone has insight.

It seems following cold starts, if I come to a stop shortly after pulling out such as a stop sign or red light the engine doesn’t go into electric and you hear the engine running at around 1000-1200 RPM and the MPG drops like a rock.

Only happens right after starting the truck and not at the time.

Was thinking maybe it’s not fully warm or maybe recharging battery from previous trip?
Hi there. This engine revving concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Sponsored