Clanking/rattling when revving or starting engine

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Has anyone else had this rattling sound on their F150? 5K miles powerboost built on 4/22.

I really hope this is just a loose heat shield/engine mount, and not anything engine related.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has anyone else had this rattling sound on their F150? 5K miles powerboost built on 4/22.

I really hope this is just a loose heat shield/engine mount, and not anything engine related.

Hi there! Go ahead and send us a private message with your VIN and approximate mileage, and I’ll look into this rattle concern for you. Thanks!

OP
OP
dmac

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gearhead!
Update:

The dealer stated the rattle is coming from the catalytic converter, which they need to replace. Unfortunately, the part is on back order, so I am going to get the truck tomorrow until the part comes in.

Tx_actual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Crosstrek, f150
I have a rattle when the engine first starts up from electric. This only seems to happen after it has been sitting for awhile.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
The dealer stated the rattle is coming from the catalytic converter
Sounds like a heat shield, so a cat sounds plausible (if expensive.) One way to isolate these rattles is to tap the exhaust (and surrounding parts, heat shields, hangers) with a plastic mallet. A quick silencer is find a spot where jamming a piece of plastic stops the noise, then replace the plastic with a piece of hard silicon (it will hold up to the temperatures) or a careful dollop of RTV using a spudger as needed to work it into the offending rattle gap. Can be a permanent fix or just a sanity saver while waiting for parts. : )

Sponsored

andrew82

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
cdl driver
Update:

The dealer stated the rattle is coming from the catalytic converter, which they need to replace. Unfortunately, the part is on back order, so I am going to get the truck tomorrow until the part comes in.
Hey I was just wondering if replacing the cat fixed your issue? I have a 22 powerboost and it’s making the same exact sound when the engine kicks on. Mainly does it when cold, but occasionally it’ll do it while driving slow thru a neighborhood.

OP
OP
dmac

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gearhead!
Hey I was just wondering if replacing the cat fixed your issue? I have a 22 powerboost and it’s making the same exact sound when the engine kicks on. Mainly does it when cold, but occasionally it’ll do it while driving slow thru a neighborhood.
It did fix the issue. Good luck.

andrew82

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
cdl driver
Update:

Thanks for replying.

vs1

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost

Hello there! Just a quick question about this noise. I’m having something similar on my truck. Did it go away when the truck warmed up/was driving around for a bit?

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Hello there! Just a quick question about this noise. I’m having something similar on my truck. Did it go away when the truck warmed up/was driving around for a bit?
Could be an example of the heat shield noise.
I recall a few people posting about this sort of noise, especially on cold starts.
My "diagnostic" method is to get on a crawler and push things with the handle of a hammer till I find something that changes the noise … : )

Sponsored

vs1

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could be an example of the heat shield noise.
I recall a few people posting about this sort of noise, especially on cold starts.
My "diagnostic" method is to get on a crawler and push things with the handle of a hammer till I find something that changes the noise … : )
Ok thank you! I’ll try doing that. Hopefully I can isolate it and fix it! I attached a video of the sound for reference. :)

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
That sounds similar. I think it's an exhaust heat shield.
Or the transmission is empty.
Kidding! : )
But I did read about some people receiving their truck a little low on trans fluid. I checked mine, just in case, but a dry trans sounds quite different and there's a warning light. : )

vs1

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That sounds similar. I think it's an exhaust heat shield.
Or the transmission is empty.
Kidding! : )
But I did read about some people receiving their truck a little low on trans fluid. I checked mine, just in case, but a dry trans sounds quite different and there's a warning light. : )
Ok perfect, I will be taking a look to see if anything is loose. It usually becomes intermittent when the truck is warmed to operating temperature. More noticeable in a parking garage. Yeah there is no warning light and the truck runs ok as well for now. Thanks!