Electric Motor Torque Hit while Stopped

eproehl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Mustang GT, '14 Fusion, '21 F150 PB
Has anyone ran into the issue described above? If I come to a stop with the IC engine stopped and sit there for at least 10-15 seconds with my foot on the brake, I get a jolt of torque from the electric motor that tries to lurches the truck forward. I've had it happen in multiple drive modes. It will not do it if the engine is running (ie when still cold). I don't believe this is a "normal" hybrid function, but please let me know if anyone has experienced it.

I've had it at the dealer 3 times, and they've yet to figure it out. They replaced the PCM first and it didn't seem to do anything (if anything made it happen more often and forcibly). The second time they troubleshooted the harness more and found the Battery Isolator had an internal short, replaced that but the condition is still present, and now I get the warning my 12V battery voltage is low (even though they charged it and tested good and I've given it a nice hour long drive that should have charged it). Currently in the dealer now or the third time, and approaching the 3 week mark. Appreciate any feedback anyone has.
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Curious if you’re on auto hold for this? I have noticed a slight bump on auto hold before after I’ve been stopped for a few seconds, the truck never actually moves more than a centimeter. I’ve honestly never had auto hold off, so idk if it does it without. I’ll have to check.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has anyone ran into the issue described above? If I come to a stop with the IC engine stopped and sit there for at least 10-15 seconds with my foot on the brake, I get a jolt of torque from the electric motor that tries to lurches the truck forward. I've had it happen in multiple drive modes. It will not do it if the engine is running (ie when still cold). I don't believe this is a "normal" hybrid function, but please let me know if anyone has experienced it.

I've had it at the dealer 3 times, and they've yet to figure it out. They replaced the PCM first and it didn't seem to do anything (if anything made it happen more often and forcibly). The second time they troubleshooted the harness more and found the Battery Isolator had an internal short, replaced that but the condition is still present, and now I get the warning my 12V battery voltage is low (even though they charged it and tested good and I've given it a nice hour long drive that should have charged it). Currently in the dealer now or the third time, and approaching the 3 week mark. Appreciate any feedback anyone has.
Good morning! Would you please send over a private message with your VIN? I would like to look into your truck's issue on our end.

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I have this issue occasionally when I am slowing down to stop and suddenly need to brake even harder. My most common example happens in my neighborhood when taking my kids to school:

Getting ready for a yield left turn at the bottom of a hill when I suddenly need to come to a complete stop because I need to yield to a car that appears at the last minute.

It feels like the brakes let go and then the truck only relies on the hybrid regenerative braking, making it suddenly feel like the truck stops braking and is lurching forward instead, and then you need to apply even more brake pressure for the brakes to engage again, but truck has already lurched forward by then.

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I have not encountered this, almost 10K on my truck. I have auto-hold OFF since day one.

PeteRit

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
YES. Almost every time i come to a completed stop it get a 2-3 second pause, and then a small jolt. It almost feels like a clutch dissengaging or something. It's very odd but I've told myself to ignore it, it's nothing because I'm generally not a picky person. I do not use auto hold. It happens Everytime to. I live on a military base where they check everyones ID as you go on post, so each time I stop as I move forward it I can feel it. I'm convinced it has something to do with the 1-3 or 2-4 clutch getting dissengaged or something such as the coupling between the torque converter and electric motor? I dunno, just can't believe I'm not the only one who noticed it!

OP
OP

eproehl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No auto hold on for me, but I just don't want those jolts going thru the driveline. Unsure if its something in the hybrid or trans control strategy or some sensor that isn't reading right. PM sent to FoMoCo, I'll keep everyone posted when (hoping not if!) we figure it out.

I will say the dealer I am working with has been upfront and honest about everything, so no concerns there, just would like to get the truck fixed!

OP
OP

eproehl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford recommends we replace auxiliary tranny pump - your truck is disabled and the part is on back order. Still waiting on ETA, but will let everyone know.

Not sure how that will help anything with the engine off, but I guess we'll see.

Bandito

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited PowerBoost
Keep in mind that the electric motor is designed to kick in as soon as you release the brake pedal to start moving the vehicle as though it were powered by a conventional running ICE. If the transmission isn’t functioning correctly, this could cause the jerk that you’re experiencing. Of course it shouldn’t be doing this. The takeoff should be very smooth.

Please keep us posted.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
My truck will want to rock forward a bit when the engine starts while stopped. My Ram eTorque did the same thing. Non-issue for me...

OP
OP

eproehl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My truck will want to rock forward a bit when the engine starts while stopped. My Ram eTorque did the same thing. Non-issue for me...
Yeah this is just while stopped, foot firmly on the brake, and the IC engine off the whole time.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Yeah this is just while stopped, foot firmly on the brake, and the IC engine off the whole time.
That's what happens..... No big deal. I learned early on with the eTorque not to sit at an intersection with light brake pressure. It'll move the truck a few inches before you increase pressure.

OP
OP

eproehl

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Got truck back this Saturday. Everything seems to be working as it should now without the sudden surges while stopped.

Watchout if anyone does take their truck in for this, the troubleshooting information "PPT E" was wrong in the ford system and was causing mis-diagnosis of the battery isolator. The FSE directed them to the aux trans pump. This seems to have fixed the issue. The pump was stalling out periodically, and it only runs when the engine is off.

Just wish they hadn't drove the truck 260 miles to confirm the fix. I was able to re-create the issue in 100 ft leaving the dealership after their second fix! Also nice they didn't fill the truck back up either, but finally have the truck back after 6 weeks!
Sponsored