First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I’m currently at 2.8.3 with functional BlueCruise through dealer FDRS. Got the last 2 minor updates. I’m expecting versions 3.1.1, 3.2.1, and 3.3.1. Modules to update are GWM, APIM, and TCU, presumably in this order.

These modules can be updated via USB flash drive. If the OTA updates fail, my thought is to create an USB flash drive for my truck by manually entering the VIN in FDRS and then inserting the flash drive in the truck to do the update. If the battery SOC is low would leaving the flash drive inserted and driving solve a low SOC condition that would block an OTA update?

I see the upside of this procedure as not needing to use a Mongoose VCI or worrying about the battery SOC. One downside is how to “report” the updates to Ford to be sure the next module is ready to be updated.

Any thoughts about this update procedure are appreciated.
Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I don’t think it will create the thumb drive without first talking to the truck to verify module numbers. You will need a cable.

RickBullotta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I’m currently at 2.8.3 with functional BlueCruise through dealer FDRS. Got the last 2 minor updates. I’m expecting versions 3.1.1, 3.2.1, and 3.3.1. Modules to update are GWM, APIM, and TCU, presumably in this order.

These modules can be updated via USB flash drive. If the OTA updates fail, my thought is to create an USB flash drive for my truck by manually entering the VIN in FDRS and then inserting the flash drive in the truck to do the update. If the battery SOC is low would leaving the flash drive inserted and driving solve a low SOC condition that would block an OTA update?

I see the upside of this procedure as not needing to use a Mongoose VCI or worrying about the battery SOC. One downside is how to “report” the updates to Ford to be sure the next module is ready to be updated.

Any thoughts about this update procedure are appreciated.
You can (and should) leave your truck running for most of the USB updates. It'll tell you when to restart the truck, and after restarting, when to remove the USB drive and reinsert it in your laptop to finalize the update. Follow the FDRS prompts and don't get impatient. Ask me how I know...

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You can (and should) leave your truck running for most of the USB updates. It'll tell you when to restart the truck, and after restarting, when to remove the USB drive and reinsert it in your laptop to finalize the update. Follow the FDRS prompts and don't get impatient. Ask me how I know...
I may have done that with my APIM update. Time will tell or I will have to do it again, IF I can.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The $500 for the Mongoose can seem like a steep entry price to fire the dealership. I get that.
But it's just a matter of perception. A human construct if you will. :)

There are folks reluctant to fork over $500, but they have no choice but to fork over $1000 for a truck payment on a truck that isn't even in their driveway, while it sits parked out behind the service department for weeks/months. Add to that the sheer joy sapping frustration of the ownership experience they are enduring.

I'd give $500 to anyone who can make a bad toothache go away. And a toothache is minor compared to what some of these folks have been put through.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have the ability to create USB drives in CERTAIN circumstances.

I havent been very active I have not been feeling well and have been sleeping more than I thought possible.

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired

I havent been very active I have not been feeling well and have been sleeping more than I thought possible.
Just rest...... feel better.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 powerboost
Anyone else having issues connecting to FDRS? Tried reinstalling software several times, and running network diagnostics which fails on FDSP connection.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's Sunday. So you can't assume the issue is on your end.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Anyone else having issues connecting to FDRS? Tried reinstalling software several times, and running network diagnostics which fails on FDSP connection.
I had to try a few times before it connected this morning. It finally did after the 3rd try.

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'm a little confused. If the truck is running during the update, is there a point when I'm prompted to shut off the truck and then wait for a prompt to restart.

When finalized I gather that inserting the flash drive in my laptop connected to FDRS will update FDRS and FDRS will have my current module info.

Demps

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Go back to bed and get well.

I just thought maybe us ordinary folks could do our own USB updating if the series 3 OTA updates fail. Wouldn't be the first-time an update failed. USB updates seem much easier than using a VCI and battery tender.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Go back to bed and get well.

I just thought maybe us ordinary folks could do our own USB updating if the series 3 OTA updates fail. Wouldn't be the first-time an update failed. USB updates seem much easier than using a VCI and battery tender.
Thansk. The USB is locked in many different ways to the truck it is created. There is no way to create a universal usb outside the FDRS system. I can but its because someone incredibly talented has given me the ability. Its not my own ability that allows it.
Sponsored