Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks?

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
Having put close to 5,000 kms on mine now, my biggest complaint is that it just feels so lurchy in the lower gears when shifting.

Any of the shifts after 4th or 5th gear seems almost unnoticeable, but it's the lower gears that really bother me. I suspect it to be how they have decided to program the transmission (as others have suggested) and not the actual mechanical components of the transmission - just the programming which sucks!

Not smooth.
You should have them look at the power train control module to make sure they installed the correct one. That is what was wrong with mine.
Sponsored

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
Having put close to 5,000 kms on mine now, my biggest complaint is that it just feels so lurchy in the lower gears when shifting.

Any of the shifts after 4th or 5th gear seems almost unnoticeable, but it's the lower gears that really bother me. I suspect it to be how they have decided to program the transmission (as others have suggested) and not the actual mechanical components of the transmission - just the programming which sucks!

Not smooth.
I agree. I currently have a 2019 F150 on long term rental for work, and it’s buttery smooth in the lower gears compared with my 2021.

Mike D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT sport 302A
Occupation
Gov
Update on my transmission noise during cold shifts:

Dealer said it was low two quarts of transmission fluid and must have come from the factory that way. It was topped off and trans reset. I just can't wrap my head around how this happens. My truck was built at the KC factory and the dealer said I wasn't the only one, so beware of this if you're having transmission noise/issues.

Mike D

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT sport 302A
Occupation
Gov
Update,
Transmission is leaking again and shifting hard on downshifts and squealing on upshifts, back to the dealership today. The vehicle has 8K, I'm quickly losing confidence in this vehicle.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Update,
Transmission is leaking again and shifting hard on downshifts and squealing on upshifts, back to the dealership today. The vehicle has 8K, I'm quickly losing confidence in this vehicle.
Hi Mike! Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with these concerns you've been having with your F-150.

Sponsored

daytpwr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It’s the best Automatic I’ve drive , at least mines shifts smoothly and quickly even when downshifting
I have a 3.5 eco and a new Porsche with a 7 speed pdk. The Porsche is the best auto i have ever driven. For ke the Ford 10 speed is not bad and does not clink or downshift hard. I drive it in normal mode most of the time.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
I have a 3.5 eco and a new Porsche with a 7 speed pdk. The Porsche is the best auto i have ever driven. For ke the Ford 10 speed is not bad and does not clink or downshift hard. I drive it in normal mode most of the time.
I had a Golf TDI in the past with DSG and up to this point it was the best I had driven in Auto form. I’ve heard great things about PDK though.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'd argue that the Porsche PDK is not an automatic transmission by the standard that the 10r80 is an automatic transmission. :)
A Dual Clutch "automatic" transmission is just the fastest shifting manual transmission in history! Lol

But I do admit that most folks would see anything without a clutch pedal as an automatic.

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
So I got the Livernois tune installed on my truck, and the transmission went from only being tolerable after spending 3 months getting used to it, to plain wonderful.

@Ford Motor Company how did you guys manage to do such a poor job on the stock transmission tuning? After having driven a Silverado around with the 10 speed, and seeing what an aftermarket tune can do for your own 10 speed, I think you guys need to take a serious look at your programming for these things. It's junk. There's no other way to say it. I know it wasn't just my truck either, because I drove a 2020 KR around for a couple of months and it had the same type of questionable behavior. I shouldn't have to pay someone else even more money just to make the transmission work like it should.

Last edited:

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
What is the Livernois tune ?

Sponsored

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What is the Livernois tune ?

Livernois Motorsports has engine/transmission tunes out for the 2021+ trucks. They've been on pre-order for a few months and finally started shipping.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The tuners have been transforming the 10r80 into a wonderful shifting transmission ever since Ford released it.
But currently, only Livernoise has access to the 2021 encryption. They have some kind of relationship with Ford that gives them this advantage.

A well tuned 10r80 does indeed have you scratching your head about the oem shifting strategy. Lol

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
So I got the Livernois tune installed on my truck, and the transmission went from only being tolerable after spending 3 months getting used to it, to plain wonderful.

@Ford Motor Company how did you guys manage to do such a poor job on the stock transmission tuning? After having driven a Silverado around with the 10 speed, and seeing what an aftermarket tune can do for your own 10 speed, I think you guys need to take a serious look at your programming for these things. It's junk. There's no other way to say it. I know it wasn't just my truck either, because I drove a 2020 KR around for a couple of months and it had the same type of questionable behavior. I shouldn't have to pay someone else even more money just to make the transmission work like it should.
Hopefully Livernois will cover repair costs if your tranny goes south because I'm pretty sure you just burned the Ford warranty bridge.....

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There's many thousands of trucks running around with many thousands of miles, with altered shifting strategies. It's not like the solution to the Crappy shifting is some kind of abuse.
It's no different than each mode that came from the factory is really just a shifting strategy tweak anyways.

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hopefully Livernois will cover repair costs if your tranny goes south because I'm pretty sure you just burned the Ford warranty bridge.....
Tell me all about the 0 stories you've heard of warranties being voided from people posting on forums about custom tunes (or anything at all for that matter).
Sponsored