Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks?

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
It's all part of the engine tune. They don't do them ala carte to my knowledge.
This is correct. Part of engine tune.

Have a livernois tune for my 2019 Ranger. Tranny shifts differ with whatever tune i have installed.

Got 5 tunes included. All shift different. All good.

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Would all trucks coming off the line now have the TSB already installed or do they just use it for people who complain? I assume it's less MPG so maybe they don't per EPA

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Would all trucks coming off the line now have the TSB already installed or do they just use it for people who complain? I assume it's less MPG so maybe they don't per EPA
Truck built 4/11 (12 days ago?) has all up to date modules except TRM.

It's still on a rail car, but when I take delivery I will update the TRM. Of course by then there could be additional updates available? :)

DIY folks now add a license for FDRS to their toolkit in the garage. The proverbial complaint that today's vehicles can't be fixed by DIY fella has now done a 180° and the Gen14 F150's can't be fixed by the dealership service department. 🤣

Sponsored

Steve the Dude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Truck built 4/11 (12 days ago?) has all up to date modules except TRM.

It's still on a rail car, but when I take delivery I will update the TRM. Of course by then there could be additional updates available? :)

DIY folks now add a license for FDRS to their toolkit in the garage. The proverbial complaint that today's vehicles can't be fixed by DIY fella has now done a 180° and the Gen14 F150's can't be fixed by the dealership service department. 🤣
How can you know it has all software updates if you don't have the truck yet to check? What's TRM?

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
Yeouch $900 bones a year. Wonder if there's a cottage industry out there for subleasing an FDRS license?

When I rode motorcyles, there was a "shim kit" that circulated amongst Honda ST1100 owners who were setting valve clearances to make this a zero-cost thing. Too bad FDRS is not like a Netflix subscription with five registered users. :)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How can you know it has all software updates if you don't have the truck yet to check? What's TRM?
Once the truck is built it is officially born and its birth certificate is in the system. 🤣

I logged into FDRS (Ford Diagnostic & Repair System) and pulled it's records. I also looked to see what updates were available, which only the TRM module isn't fully up to date.

Ford F-150 Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks? 1KingIsBack.PNG

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeouch $900 bones a year. Wonder if there's a cottage industry out there for subleasing an FDRS license?

When I rode motorcyles, there was a "shim kit" that circulated amongst Honda ST1100 owners who were setting valve clearances to make this a zero-cost thing. Too bad FDRS is not like a Netflix subscription with five registered users. :)
Lol
You could just purchase 2-day licenses?
But if you did that just once a month to check, that'd be $600 annual anyways.

Note that we have 5-6 F150's in the family fleet. And Pawpaw-dad (me) is considered the goto for fixin stuff. 🙄😁

How much is Netflix annually? (I don't watch much TV) Netflix can't fix anything. Lol

auromed

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 500a Powerboost
I was just thinking yesterday how smooth the 10 speed is, and how it impressed me vs the 8 speed in the highlander it replaced. That one was pretty bad for the first 3000 miles, then got better with adaptive learning I'd expect.

Of course, now at 400+ miles the transmission is acting funky. First it was just hard shifts in the under 5 gears and now it's acting like my '94 F150 with a bad E40D. Just putting the truck in Reverse or Drive causes it to Jerk, and shifts in the lower gears are harsh. I'm hoping it's just trying to figure out the middle ground after playing in eco mode a good bit early on and slowly not trying to focus on the mileage. Crazy how much difference there is between Wednesday and Saturday in this thing.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was just thinking yesterday how smooth the 10 speed is, and how it impressed me vs the 8 speed in the highlander it replaced. That one was pretty bad for the first 3000 miles, then got better with adaptive learning I'd expect.

Of course, now at 400+ miles the transmission is acting funky. First it was just hard shifts in the under 5 gears and now it's acting like my '94 F150 with a bad E40D. Just putting the truck in Reverse or Drive causes it to Jerk, and shifts in the lower gears are harsh. I'm hoping it's just trying to figure out the middle ground after playing in eco mode a good bit early on and slowly not trying to focus on the mileage. Crazy how much difference there is between Wednesday and Saturday in this thing.
Have you had anything updated on your truck since you purchased it?
There's been several updates to various drivetrain related modules, and none more influential than the pcm module.

I've performed them all and although I don't know which had the biggest influence, but my drivetrain is more polished and the shifting is considerably improved.

I have FDRS and could look up and see if you have a pcm update queued up for your truck.

auromed

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 500a Powerboost
Have you had anything updated on your truck since you purchased it?
There's been several updates to various drivetrain related modules, and none more influential than the pcm module.

I've performed them all and although I don't know which had the biggest influence, but my drivetrain is more polished and the shifting is considerably improved.

I have FDRS and could look up and see if you have a pcm update queued up for your truck.

Nothing updated yet. My VIN is 1FTFW1ED0NFB11971 - I'd appreciate the look if you don't mind.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing updated yet. My VIN is 1FTFW1ED0NFB11971 - I'd appreciate the look if you don't mind.
Your truck is a newborn. :)
You still got paper plates!

Only one update.
And it's not the TSB update, but rather the one preceding it.

Ford F-150 Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks? auromed.PNG

You might try deleting your adaptive table values and let them rebuild again? Maybe the truck tranny will do a better job the second attempt as it breaks in too?

I attached your entire module list. Nice truck. :)

Attachments

Stuckey in NC

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost
Snakebitten, would you mind looking mine up? I’m told my truck is up to date by the dealer. However, I am having lots of problems with my truck still so I’m curious.
1FTFW1ED3MFB99431

thanks.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Snakebitten, would you mind looking mine up? I’m told my truck is up to date by the dealer. However, I am having lots of problems with my truck still so I’m curious.
1FTFW1ED3MFB99431

thanks.
Stuckey, if you could get the updates that I marked with red marks done, you will LOVE your truck! Those are the keys to the magic. :)

Ford F-150 Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks? stucky.PNG
Sponsored

Attachments