Sponsored

Does anyone else think the 10 spd transmission just plain sucks?

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hesitant to take to the dealer, truck shifts like it originally did... I'm able to feel every downshift coming to a stop. I read on here that they'll just reflash the transmission, but couldn't I just disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes and let it re-boot the transmission learning cycle? Hopefully, the computer stored the code when it came up with the engine light and service light in the event that I do take it to a service department. Thanks.
No, there's a TSB that updates the software on the PCM and my transmission is now very smooth. As I would expect it to shift
Sponsored

OP
OP

Trevisan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Hello! Send us a private message with your F-150's VIN and the name & location of your dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this adaptive cruise control issue. Thank you!
Adaptive cruise control issue?
Are you a bot?

Sponsored

bigman6166

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Law Enforcement
ABOUT EVERYTHING!!

I saw a thread of guys complaining about the turn signal being too loud.

People crack me up.
Yeah exactly I agree man. I love this forum and really enjoy it. Most people seem real decent. But the overly negative complainers get annoying.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
- Appreciably slow down shifts when "stomping" the pedal to accelerate while at speed (50 kph)
- Lunging forward in lower gears
- When going up a small ramp from a flat surface and stopping before a gate (like in a parkade) truck will shift from 1-2 and then when it realizes you are stopping at the gate, will clunk and jolt back into 1

...comparing it to my old Toyota 5 spd...well, there is no comparison.

Anyone else frustrated by moving from a buttery smoothe 5 spd to this?
Or just me?
Zero issues with my 10speed.

Been great. Rarely feel a shift.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I’m not sure about the computers on these trucks and if they learn how you drive. I know they do on the mustang. So if you drive it hard and with a heavy foot, the computer might make it shift more aggressively. My Mustang would lunge forward when I shifted from park to drive. Called the dealership and they said they could flash it back to factory default, but it was due to the way I drove the car.
The tranny does not learn how you drive. That is not what it is learning.

This trans is used in the Mustang. Explorer. Ranger. Bronco. Bronco Sport. F150. Super Duty. Transit.

How many different engines does this include? 10 at least. And a wide range of vehicle weights, rear ends, etc.

It is adapting to the engine, rear diff, vehicle weight, etc. It is not possible to use one setting for all those variables.

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
When I first got my truck I was super impressed with the transmission - very, very smooth and the power was great. As I've put more miles on it I've experienced two types of odd behavior:
1. "Hard" shifts when starting/stopping while going up a hill
2. When in Sport mode, if I slam on the accelerator (sometimes) it will hold a gear way past the power band and then shift very hard. I'm pretty sure I get a faster 0-60 when I gradually press the accelerator as opposed to slamming on it.
Overall I'm pretty happy with the transmission. I have 12K miles on the truck

Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Same here. But I do see a lot of complainers on here.
And quite a few are completely justified.
ABOUT EVERYTHING!!

I saw a thread of guys complaining about the turn signal being too loud.

People crack me up.
Yeah exactly I agree man. I love this forum and really enjoy it. Most people seem real decent. But the overly negative complainers get annoying.
Agreed. But this IS a forum. Isn’t that what everyone does for the most part on forums. :)

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I love the transmission and drive modes.

Also as long as people keep complaining about chrome, rake, and that little plastic piece on the rear quarter panel, I am going to keep complaining about the stupid loud turn signal! 💩

Goose2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150
I have owned 3 f150 with the 10 speed and all 3 have been fantastic. Smooth as silk and seems to always be in the right gear

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I've owned 3 10r80 transmissions.
I feel fortunate to not have gotten a crappy one, but I admit that the one I had tuned by GearHead revealed to me just how much better the transmission CAN be than the way they come from the factory.

My current Powerboost is about average to most I have experienced. (we have a few in the family fleet)

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
250 miles and mine is quite smooth. It does take some getting used to with the rubbermounting yo-yo effect once in awhile.
The shudder I feel occasionally has to be a solenoid pulsing. It to is less noticeable. The shifts are getting much more positive. I am impressed so far. As long as I don’t anticipate the shift it is really smooth. I am Engine braking by downshifting, it really helps with the light shudder between upshifts.
I’m convinced it is a pulsating solenoid signal on the torque converter 50 rpm lock signal. I hope it learns to just lock up not stutter.
Sponsored