10 speed Transmission/software issue

TJ Housden

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Anyone else having major issues their 10 speed Transmission shifting very harsh and erratic(sometimes from 7th or 8th to 1st or 2nd gear)? I’ve taken it to the dealer several times. The last time they changed the valve body( no longer under warranty so it was out of pocket). It made it worse. They want to tear the transmission apart but it’s clearly a software issue.
Sponsored

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I had that exact issue after they did the valve body update in December of 21. They did it again with an updated TSB from April or may of 22 and I haven't had an issue since. It did only do it once before the second fix so it was very intermittent.

My 2020 is under warranty, so It was covered.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Use Forscan and clear the Transmission Adaptive tables. Then drive it calmly for about 250 miles. Should help clear things up. The 10R80 is notorious for picking up odd/harsh shift behaviors as it adapts to driver input over time. This is especially true when towing and forgetting to put the truck into Tow/Haul mode or locking out 8-10 in normal mode. When it does resetting the shift tables forces it to relearn and usually resolves most shift problems like this.

OP
OP

TJ Housden

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
Thank you. Shifting from 8th gear to second gear isn’t my favorite part of the day. Last thing I need is a blown engine as well.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Hopefully that will help.

Sponsored

Bandit Heeler

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX 4x4 2.7
I thought the same with my wife’s Expedition but it turned out to be two bad drums allowing fluid to pass threw them. The drums hold the clutch packs. 62,500 miles. Thank goodness I had an esp. $4000 and a month out of service. Hopefully the TSB will fix it.

OP
OP

TJ Housden

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150
I forgot to mention it only happens when the transmission is cold. After a few minutes of driving, everything is fine with the transmission

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Your profile info states a 2018 F150. If this is accurate then the first thing I would do is have the transmission fluid level checked, or possibly having it serviced. When first released up until at least mid-2020 Ford was underfilling the 10R80's by as much as 2-3 qts of fluid. A whole list of issues related to the incorrect fluid level is well documented on many other Ford forums. The other thing is possibly a dirty filter. The filter changes flow through it depending on if cold or at temp. When cold and a dirty filter may cause many issues as described.

https://www.transmissiondigest.com/10r80-10l90-ford-gm-ten-speed-unique-filter-system/

If handy you can get the filter kit online, but it's not a straight forward job. There are guides on all the steps needed to do this properly. You want to pay VERY close attention to how much fluid you get out of it as well as reset procedure that differs from the shift table job and topping off since Ford used a dipstick plug vs a traditional stick. The hassle involved makes taking it to the dealer or certified shop that KNOWS this beast of a tranny to have them service it very attractive.