Sponsored

2021 5.0 10 speed transmission - what is this sound?

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
When shifting between 1-2-3-4th gears at low speeds, I've started to notice a slight "crunch" sound coming from the outside of the truck. This is different from the typical "clunk" the 10 speed has always made. It started sometime around 10,500 miles

I'm getting ready to schedule a trip to the dealer for service but want to get some intel here beforehand. Any idea what this sound is? What causes it? Should I be concerned? Should I just ignore it?

I recorded the video below driving through my neighborhood. For reference, the "crunch" sound occurs at the following time stamps:
  • 3 seconds
  • 5 seconds
  • 6 seconds
  • 17 seconds
  • 20 seconds
  • 23 seconds
  • 30 seconds (from inside truck)
  • 40 seconds (from inside truck)
  • 47 seconds (from inside truck)

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
When shifting between 1-2-3-4th gears at low speeds, I've started to notice a slight "crunch" sound coming from the outside of the truck. This is different from the typical "clunk" the 10 speed has always made. It started sometime around 10,500 miles

I'm getting ready to schedule a trip to the dealer for service but want to get some intel here beforehand. Any idea what this sound is? What causes it? Should I be concerned? Should I just ignore it?

I recorded the video below driving through my neighborhood. For reference, the "crunch" sound occurs at the following time stamps:
  • 3 seconds
  • 5 seconds
  • 6 seconds
  • 17 seconds
  • 20 seconds
  • 23 seconds
  • 30 seconds (from inside truck)
  • 40 seconds (from inside truck)
  • 47 seconds (from inside truck)

Hello there. This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have with your F-150. If you can send us a message with your VIN and dealership info, I'll be happy to look into things on my end!

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
I hear the exact same thing on mine when coming to a stop and its going into the lower gears.

Try watching the indicator on your dash and you see it coincides with the sound of those changes.

It seems to be only noticeable when cold like after leaving the house and getting to that first stop sign for me.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Hello there. This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have with your F-150. If you can send us a message with your VIN and dealership info, I'll be happy to look into things on my end!

Thank you! I've sent you a message with details.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I hear the exact same thing on mine when coming to a stop and its going into the lower gears.

Try watching the indicator on your dash and you see it coincides with the sound of those changes.

It seems to be only noticeable when cold like after leaving the house and getting to that first stop sign for me.
Definitely coincides with the gear indicator (you can tell if you look/listen closely at the second half of my video). I notice it most when pulling out of my neighborhood, but it also happens around town in parking lots, etc

Sponsored

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
After a little over a week, official word is that it’s a solenoid making the noise. The service Forman drove it and said the solenoid is loud but apparently not a cause for concern.

a little bummed but all I can do is take their word for it. It’s the 3rd dealer I’ve seen. Grateful they acknowledged the sound and dug into it. First dealer decided it was normal without driving it. Second one couldn’t look due to transmission tech being away for training.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I've done a bit of digging and can't find any forum posts or videos showing a similar noise out of a transmission.

I'm hoping someone here can either call BS or tell me to stop worrying because it's a normal sound.

OP
OP

jvbronco

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT

You still getting this sound on yours?

22XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT
Yes it does and it seems to be pretty normal. I think I’ve come across others who have said the same thing.

this might be one of those instances where I actually agree with the dealer observation
Sponsored