Sponsored

Do I go with the 3.5 or will the 2.7 suffice for towing???

DilleyDilley

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 XLT 5.0
Kicking around the idea of upgrading to a new pickup. I’m currently in a 2016 5.0. I want to go to an eco for the gas mileage and towing.

I’m trying to decide if I go with a 2.7 or a 3.5.

I tow a 5,200# (dry) travel trailer about 5-7 times a year. Anything else I tow weighs considerably less (UTV).

Will I notice a considerable advantage towing with the 3.5 over the 2.7?

Will the 2.7 tow “better” than my 5.0?
Thanks
Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Mucho mucho threads here on this. You’re going to to get mixed reponses here in your thread.

Search around a little, you’ll find some good conclusions.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I've towed with both.
Many thousands of miles.

I'd have no problem with the 2.7 in the 5000lb range. It's a wonderful motor.

But when you approach 6000+, in my opinion it's the point where the 3.5 shows its prowess.

Once you start to get in the 7000lb range it becomes the chassis that needs to be "dialed in". Payload is the Achilles heal of the 1/2 ton truck. These motors can pull more than the trucks can carry.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
^ I could not agree more with @Snakebitten's entire opinion / advice. ^

Many folks on the Escape (molded fiberglass RV brand) trailer owner's forum are very happy towing those bumper-pull trailers having a GTWR of 5500# or less and typically traveling at ~5000# 'loaded' or less with the 2.7 EcoBoost in properly equipped late model F150's.

I have the 3.5EB in my Lariat for towing an Escape 5th wheel trailer with a GTWR of 5500#, but as much as anything that's simply because the larger engine was required with the Max Tow Package and its larger rear brakes which I preferred.

I'm also a bit more comfortable with the larger engine because even though my trailer is relatively light and low-profile for a 'fiver' it does present a lot more frontal area than a bumper-pull in that same weight-range (a factor worth consideration, IMO, if your trailer is 'light' but presents a bulky frontal profile).

As @Snakebitten mentioned , care must be taken with regard to payload factors depending on your trailer and cargo situation. In my case I selected options carefully and ended up with 1850# 'sticker' payload on my Lariat SuperCab which is very comfortable for my application (my in/under-bed hitch assembly weighs ~125# total and my pin-weight runs ~750#, leaving plenty of cushion for this 170# solo traveller who doesn't carry a lot of other stuff in the truck when RV'ing).

Just for your consideration, Happy Camping!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
One other thought ...
... I won't come-to-blows with the 5.0 crowd over it, but IMO the 2.7EB just might be 'happier' if you do a lot of towing at high altitude within the appropriate weight-ranges already mentioned (it, or any EB, won't suffer 'altitude effects' nearly as much as the naturally-aspirated 5.0 which is a great motor in its own right).

Sponsored

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Kicking around the idea of upgrading to a new pickup. I’m currently in a 2016 5.0. I want to go to an eco for the gas mileage and towing.

I tow a 5,200# (dry) travel trailer about 5-7 times a year. Anything else I tow weighs considerably less (UTV).

Thanks
The 2.7 is not going to tow better than the 5.0. It has less power. Period.

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
I'm not sure a 3.5 eco will get much better gas mileage than the 5.0 (depending on how you drive).

I agree with @Snakebitten

You get some stuff in that trailer and weight in the truck and the 2.7 might start to huff and puff a bit.

If you want gas mileage and towing when you need it (5-7 times a year is nothing), you should consider the Powerboost. Just don't load up on options and you should be able to stay above 1500 pounds of payload easily.

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
You don't think the 2.7 has the advantage at altitude?
OP is in Wisconsin. Not much altitude to contend with. The rule of thumb is 3% loss for every 1000 feet above sea level. Let's round up and say 10% loss @ 3000 feet MSL. That would give the Coyote 360HP, which still gives it a healthy margin above the 2.7's 325hp.

Of course , the torque curve is a little trickier, but I'm taking the 5.0 until you get really high. I tow at 6000 feet and my last gen Tundra (which has similar specs to the 5.0) with boat in tow would start to struggle quite a bit.

I'm excited to tow with my PB I just picked up Friday!!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
When towing for me it's all about torque. That 2.7 is like a baby diesel in regards. It makes something like 90% of its torque by 1800 rpms? (Something amazing like that)

The Coyote is a wicked motor in its own right, but its sweet spot is up on top. A revver. Fun, sure enough, but if I'm towing 5000lbs around in the Rockies? I'm just partial to how the 2.7 would sound and feel as it goes about it comparitivly.

If I'm going to strain them both, I probably prefer the Coyote under duress. But 5000lbs isn't quite duress, if you know what I mean.

Sponsored

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4x4 2.7EB XLT SuperCab, 6.5Ft, 302a order
Occupation
Self Employed Photographer
I just took delivery of a custom ordered 2.7 specifically for towing a 5500lb 5th wheel trailer.

With the optional 2.7 payload package in my Supercab 6.5ft bed I’m rated for upto 10,100lbs towing and a starting payload of 2100lbs. My payload as equipped is 1889lbs.

More than sufficient IMHO.

I looked at getting the 3.5 but felt the 2.7 with payload package is more than capable , and the $3000 I saved on the engine upgrade I used on more bells and whistles, i.e, the advanced co pilot package and the upgraded B&O audio.

Last edited:

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Thanks
I have the 3.5L and all I can say is you either get eco, or you get boost, same will be true with the 2.7L. If your daily driving is flat, and constant (highway) you CAN get good mileage, but if you throw in the slightest grade/hill/traffic lights/wind, stop signs, say good bye to your mileage.

I live in Minnesota, just NW of Minneapolis, so mostly flat, and my commute is ~12 miles highway, 5 miles city driving.

Commute averages around 18 mpg (driving nice)
Long drives, all highway ~ 200 miles averages around 21 mpg, got as high as 23 mpg with no wind.
Towing my boat at ~2000lbs averages around 15 mpg
Towing my Travel Trailer ~ 7,000 lbs average around 8 mpg

Also I didn't see those fuel economy numbers until this summer, first 10,000 miles, as it was getting broke-in were similar to my 2012, commute average around 16 and highway around 18-19 mpg. It will be interesting to see if I notice any improvement over last winter, but the cold will also drop those numbers. Ultimately I think it will come down to how much money you want to spend, and how much towing power you want to have on hand.

OP
OP

DilleyDilley

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 XLT 5.0
You guys rock. This is an impressive forum.

I’m leaning towards the 3.5. I just wasn’t sure if I found a 2.7 properly equipped if it would suffice. Most of my searches on the topic consisted of people mostly talking about the payload concerns, which I understand. I was more curious if there was that big of a difference with HOW it towed, not how much it could tow.

Additionally, for some reason, I thought the ecos were both churching out better gas mileage than the 5.0, but after reading more on this forum and searching, that doesn’t seem to be the case. The results almost appear to be negligible.

Reactions: 780

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I have the 3.5 being delivered sometime this week. I have friends with the 3.5 and 1 with the 2.7. We all have campers. The guy with the 2.7 has no issues whatsoever. I'm guessing his dry weight is right around 5,000.
I went 3.5, max tow because I plan on getting a bigger camper in a few years.

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I've had all 3 motors.

First off, the 3.5 never achieved better mileage than the 5.0 has. They end up being fairly similar if anything my 5.0 may have the advantage.

2.7 was a great motor, just felt too "light" and not truck like. For towing 5/6k, it had zero issues and if you are only doing it a handful of times a year, I wouldn't sweat it. The 2.7 does have a noticeable increase in fuel mileage for the better.

I love the 5.0, smooth, decent mileage if driven mindfully and tows well. I was an EB believer but personally, I won't be going back.
Sponsored