Sponsored

towing with the F-150 Platinum 5.0 engine.......

cogatti

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 King Ranch
Occupation
retired
Well, first time towing my boat 1000 miles with the 5.0 engine.....
Boat: Sea Hunt 229 Ultra with 200 h.p. Yamaha motor...tandem axle trailer
Boat weight...4,000 lbs.
Trip....from Ft. Myers Florida to Kentucky....
Gas mil....8 m.p.g. to 10 m.p.g....
Exhaust gives out loud "grouling" noise when running above 3000 r.p.m....(very annoying)
Truck was in 7th gear most of the time......
I tried putting gear shift in manual and running, but didn't work very well with all the hills....
I still love my truck, but the load exhaust noise while down shifting is very "annoying"...
I didn't buy a Mustang, I bought a truck.....I want that noise in a Mustang, but not in my truck....
Wish I could have the exhaust re-done to quiet it down on the trip....
Thank goodness I only make this trip once a year with the boat....
Sincerely.
David Colgate
Eddyville, Ky....
Sponsored

Jeff1024

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. The 5.0 needs to rev to make horsepower. Remember it was designed as a mustang engine then changed a bit for the F150 application. So yes in some ways you did actually buy a mustang.

We tow a boat about the same weight, if not a bit heavier, with our 3.5 Eco. About the same mpg but the truck sits between 2,000 and 2,500 most of the time. The low end torque is great. I'm going to open a can of worms but if your towing the 3.5 is the better engine choice hands down.

Last edited:

Bigguy214

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150
That is one of the reasons when my lease was up on the 5.0 I went with the 3.5.The 5.0 is a good motor but when I go camping there is a lot of stoplights along the way.The 5.0 needs to rev to make the power and I just didn’t like really mashing down on the peddle to get to the 55 mph speed limit in a decent amount of time.Once moving the 5.0 was great didn’t even know that the trailer was there.

OP
OP

cogatti

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 King Ranch
Occupation
retired
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. The 5.0 needs to rev to make horsepower. Remember it was designed as a mustang engine then changed a bit for the F150 application. So yes in some ways you did actually buy a mustang.

We tow a boat about the same weight, if not a bit heavier, with our 3.5 Eco. About the same mpg but the truck sits between 2,000 and 2,500 most of the time. The low end torque is great. I'm going to open a can of worms but if your towing the 3.5 is the better engine choice hands down.
Thanks so much for your comments........
Luckily, I only make this trip with the boat once a year to Florida and back, so I can handle it.....still love the truck, and the motor......
Forever a "loyal" Ford owner.....
Sponsored