Sponsored

Didn’t know my engine was edible! I opened the hood for the first time to check fluid levels and found this. May have occurred in the Dearborn lot.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Sick avatar picture!!!! Is that in Idaho ?
Umm no, it's in Madagascar... definitely not 40 minutes from my house :rolleyes: Idaho sucks
Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
This is how I keep rodents away....

1640897655097.png

1640897558646.png
Well that would solve the mouse / rat problem right up until I take out the cat for climbing on my new truck ?

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
Rats with bushy tails. (squirrels) I had a run in with a chipmunk year or so ago too. Couldn't figure out what was driving the dog nuts so watched out the window one time and kept seeing the little @$##%$ going in and out. Ate the insulation away from where the heater core and a/c are.

Too fast for my boxer but he'd give him a run.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
This is how I keep rodents away....

1640897655097.png

1640897558646.png
The problem being, even the skilled "mouser" can't kill every rodent or prevent the persistent pest from taking out your wiring while it indiscriminately kills native species. The bigger problem is a domestic cat contributes to the killing of billions of birds per year.
Cats are fun indoor pets. Fine to have it roam the locked garage so long as it can't get out to the suburban garden. Sorry for the negative comment, but …

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
A lot of newer Plastic material is made with a type of Soy, Had the father in laws wiring ate up on a new vehicle, luckily it was a insurance claim, 5000 in damage, Chipmunks and squirrel's are happy! Pepper spray is what he was told..
Rats will chew on steel, copper and even through concrete to keep their constantly growing incisor teeth in check but other vermin definitely seem to love the new soy based plastics and wire insulation. While some additives are helping discourage rodents, pepper really won't.

When I lived next to a dude with horses in the middle of nowhere, he advised me that the best way to control them is old fashioned poison and to wire it to the engine compartment where the rodent can't take it and 'save it for later.'

Poison should be the last option because of its dangers to predators up the food chain.

Cats will ignore rats past a certain size but do help keep the population down and definitely keep mice and other rodents away. I haven't seen any paint damage from my neighbor's outside cats. It seems to be just inside cats that like to destroy things because they have less opportunity to sharpen their claws indoors. One thing that the outdoor cats love to do is piss on my tires!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Well that would solve the mouse / rat problem right up until I take out the cat for climbing on my new truck ?
That's the perfect color for someone with a guard-cat. I think Dawg ? thought this through.

My vehicles are all parked in a barn, (what it is called down here) and the various critters that leave pawprints on the hoods, roofs, and trunks are evidence that you are being visited while you sleep by a menagerie. You should SEE the tracks on a black Porsche! I'm looking forward to my Platinum White KingRanch arriving, that's for sure.

I often considered fetching cat and feeding it in the barn just to protect the wiring, so to speak, but I sure won't be mentioning it here. Who'd have thought they upset the balance of nature so severely? ??

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
That's the perfect color for someone with a guard-cat. I think Dawg ? thought this through.

My vehicles are all parked in a barn, (what it is called down here) and the various critters that leave pawprints on the hoods, roofs, and trunks are evidence that you are being visited while you sleep by a menagerie. You should SEE the tracks on a black Porsche! I'm looking forward to my Platinum White KingRanch arriving, that's for sure.

I often considered fetching cat and feeding it in the barn just to protect the wiring, so to speak, but I sure won't be mentioning it here. Who'd have thought they upset the balance of nature so severely? ??
This is my favorite commercial ??

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Making the engine cover out of a tasty plastic could be a genius idea. It is the most evident and probably the least important thing under the hood. Could protect the more important components and make it really obvious if rodents are a problem. Now they just need to incorporate some poison into it! :p

Sponsored

elk275

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum FX4 W/BAP
Porsche used to make its wiring out of a plastic that mice loved to eat. The plastic, the nice nesting spots, a warm engine and even the low voltage electrical circuits still active in a locked car seem to be irresistible.
Pepper spray doesn't work – rodents don't taste hot food the way we do. Some spicy deterrents work as irritants to their nose, but then it's a battle of determination and time (a hungry rat won't stop eating, or drive the car for a week and the deterrent has dissipated.)
There's youtube channels on how to catch or deter rodents.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+stop+mice+eating+my+car
Peppermint oil spray seems to be a commonly proven method.
Ordered some Grandpa Gus after mice ate tractor wiring. Not a issue since!!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Porsche used to make its wiring out of a plastic that mice loved to eat. The plastic, the nice nesting spots, a warm engine and even the low voltage electrical circuits still active in a locked car seem to be irresistible.
Pepper spray doesn't work – rodents don't taste hot food the way we do. Some spicy deterrents work as irritants to their nose, but then it's a battle of determination and time (a hungry rat won't stop eating, or drive the car for a week and the deterrent has dissipated.)
There's youtube channels on how to catch or deter rodents.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+stop+mice+eating+my+car
Peppermint oil spray seems to be a commonly proven method.
Ordered some Grandpa Gus after mice ate tractor wiring. Not a issue since!!
We actually put a few of the Grandpa Gus pouches in the corners of our TT and by the doors.

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
When I was looking at trucks back in 2016, I looked at a few dozen and several of them had rodent damage to the cover over the top of the engine. The dealer removed them from inventory until they could be determined to be free of defect and the cover was replaced.

I have heard of similar things happening in storage sheds, and garages of all kinds of vehicles.

Good luck and I would hope that your dealer would take care of that, but who knows these days, with shortages.
Sponsored