Sponsored

Didn’t know my engine was edible! I opened the hood for the first time to check fluid levels and found this. May have occurred in the Dearborn lot.

someday

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Antimatter Blue PB XLT High
Saw another post a few months ago here or on the other site with the same thing on a freshly delivered PB. How this got past PDI is a mystery. It was the first thing I looked at under the hood when I went to inspect mine before delivery.

Gman61

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited
What would do this? This is nuts...following thread....I will be taking delivery in the next 3 weeks and will be checking under the hood right away?
Any ideas what would of chewed this? Crikey!

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
What would do this? This is nuts...following thread....I will be taking delivery in the next 3 weeks and will be checking under the hood right away?
Rats

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
How is it carmakers still use "tasty" plastics?

Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Looks like dealer didnt do any type of inspection neither...wow

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
A lot of newer Plastic material is made with a type of Soy, Had the father in laws wiring ate up on a new vehicle, luckily it was a insurance claim, 5000 in damage, Chipmunks and squirrel's are happy! Pepper spray is what he was told..

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Rats

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Those rodents eat that soy-based stuff up. Happened in my 2009 Rav4, a family of mice moved into a ventilation intake and feasted on wiring.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
A lot of newer Plastic material is made with a type of Soy, Had the father in laws wiring ate up on a new vehicle, luckily it was a insurance claim, 5000 in damage, Chipmunks and squirrel's are happy! Pepper spray is what he was told..
Porsche used to make its wiring out of a plastic that mice loved to eat. The plastic, the nice nesting spots, a warm engine and even the low voltage electrical circuits still active in a locked car seem to be irresistible.
Pepper spray doesn't work – rodents don't taste hot food the way we do. Some spicy deterrents work as irritants to their nose, but then it's a battle of determination and time (a hungry rat won't stop eating, or drive the car for a week and the deterrent has dissipated.)
There's youtube channels on how to catch or deter rodents.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+stop+mice+eating+my+car
Peppermint oil spray seems to be a commonly proven method.

Sponsored

2mileshigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB - Antimatter Blue
How long did you have the truck before you checked under the hood? Do you park outside at home or work (or travel and park outside at an airport)? Have you noticed rabbits around areas where you park? This is a common problem at DIA.

I've seen rabbits remain under the hood even after a vehicle is driven. Other critters are a bit more skittish, and tend to bail once an engine starts. Rabbits are content to keep on chewing and enjoy the ride. The crew at my local Grease Monkey have joked about charging a rabbit extraction and relocation fee.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
How long did you have the truck before you checked under the hood? Do you park outside at home or work (or travel and park outside at an airport)?
Yeah, OP, I'd rehearse this answer before you SCOLD your dealer. It'll be the first thing they'll ask. This sucks.

Reactions: sbi