Cracked Front Diff Housing

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't know. I didn't think that BWA did the diff housings, but if they did, they normally have a BWA prefix on the part number. Someone with a less substantial skid plate might be better at checking that than I am.
You could be right. But I'm certain Borg Warner manufacturers the transfer case for the F150/Raptor, and have for years.

Does our transfer case have Borg Warner numbers stamped into them? Perhaps they do.
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
You could be right. But I'm certain Borg Warner manufacturers the transfer case for the F150/Raptor, and have for years.

Does our transfer case have Borg Warner numbers stamped into them? Perhaps they do.
The transfer case is Borg Warner and has a BWA part number. Oddly, my Exploder did as well. Based on my sample size of "2+the internet", I have concluded that Borg Warner makes MOST of the transfer cases in Big 3 vehicles these days.

As aside, BWA bought out a small/old starter motor manufacturer who invented a super efficient electric motor called the HVH or high voltage hairpin. They've been steadily integrating that into a mini transaxle/differential/transfer case like item for a few years, and I suspect that one day they're going to just sell drive units to the big automakers. From an investment perspective I'm watching that, but from a buyer's perspective I am hopeful that Eaton or some other Torsen maker gets invovled so that we don't all get stuck with open differentials that we cannot alter.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Or if they would come out and talk to the customer face to face. I'll let folks know how it goes. I'm working through the VT Attorney General's office now.
You could also write a letter directly to Ford. I've had success with that in past years when the local folks weren't responsive. That'd serve two purposes: 1st, it gets them on the hook directly; 2nd it puts the local dealer on report for screwing with the guarantee...

JBHBILL

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
You could also write a letter directly to Ford. I've had success with that in past years when the local folks weren't responsive. That'd serve two purposes: 1st, it gets them on the hook directly; 2nd it puts the local dealer on report for screwing with the guarantee...
I will go that route for sure if my current mediation doesn't work. Thanks for the response.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
M
I will go that route for sure if my current mediation doesn't work. Thanks for the response.
Mediation... Doesn't conote full responsibility by Ford's representative (the dealer). Remember that the guarantee is Fords, not the dealers. The dealer is only the middleman. If the damage is clear, Ford won't like the local guy putzing with the details. The 60,000 miles powertrain guarantee means just that: Ford should fix it. Unless Ford can show something like a big whack by a boulder or something, I'd think mediation means simply the dealer fixes it, period. So, be ready to teminate "mediation" and tell them you're taking the issue directly to Ford. Ford does have a reputation to protect.

Sponsored

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
Yeah this is probably the most unacceptable design flaw I've seen in a while. I'm not even sure it's a quality issue, but is likely a design engineering issue. Waiting on that next recall.
I believe it was caused by reusing scrap aluminum and not testing it from batch to batch. The mining sources were unable to supply and foundry’s were buying all the scrap they could get to keep production going. Likely QC at the foundry.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's yet another plausible scenario.

Whatever the source is, it sure has the appearance of manufacturing defects. These trucks with busted differentials can't statistically all be abused.

SammyB71

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I’ll throw my sob story into this thread…own a 22 F150. Had my 20’ trailer pinned on the back and had just pulled into our 10acre rural property. I have a gravel pad for the camper to sit on, but use a patch of grass to turn it around on…pulled into the grass, and due to a wet year, the rear tires broke through into the northern Ontario clay and we’re immediately drag slicks. No problem, engaged 4H, now I have 4 bologna skins…so, preceded to shift to 4Lo, followed onscreen prompt to select N. Went into 4Lo, gave gas and POW, front diff grenaded.
Got it to the dealer, he says it’s not warranted. I freaked out at them, 20,000km, I have bought 6 trucks there over 15 years…
Owner came out to say he can try to put it through as warranty but from experience, when he sends back cracked front diffs to Ford, they claim misuse…which it was Not!
I ripped them up and down and had to leave, haven’t heard back, been a few days…I spoke with Ford Canada, they were going to contact the dealer and get back to me…
I’m so pissed off…this is clearly powertrain warranty but they are trying to blame me…
Getting angrier as I type this, so please forgive me lol…
Here’s my grenade pic…

Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing IMG_3434

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
That's yet another plausible scenario.

Whatever the source is, it sure has the appearance of manufacturing defects. These trucks with busted differentials can't statistically all be abused.
It’s doubtful that anyone who spend as much money and time as the 2021 model group did, would abuse the truck in the first year. It is advertised as a 400 hp 4x4 truck.
If some engineer deemed the axle capable, but forgot to think about reverse FOMOCO got a real issue headed there way. Because all of u use Reverse in 4x to park trailers. No warrranty my axx.

Sponsored

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’ll throw my sob story into this thread…own a 22 F150. Had my 20’ trailer pinned on the back and had just pulled into our 10acre rural property. I have a gravel pad for the camper to sit on, but use a patch of grass to turn it around on…pulled into the grass, and due to a wet year, the rear tires broke through into the northern Ontario clay and we’re immediately drag slicks. No problem, engaged 4H, now I have 4 bologna skins…so, preceded to shift to 4Lo, followed onscreen prompt to select N. Went into 4Lo, gave gas and POW, front diff grenaded.
Got it to the dealer, he says it’s not warranted. I freaked out at them, 20,000km, I have bought 6 trucks there over 15 years…
Owner came out to say he can try to put it through as warranty but from experience, when he sends back cracked front diffs to Ford, they claim misuse…which it was Not!
I ripped them up and down and had to leave, haven’t heard back, been a few days…I spoke with Ford Canada, they were going to contact the dealer and get back to me…
I’m so pissed off…this is clearly powertrain warranty but they are trying to blame me…
Getting angrier as I type this, so please forgive me lol…
Here’s my grenade pic…

IMG_3434.jpeg
Clearly the case needs some real support under the driveshaft to restrain the downward force in reverse. It looks like it’s just hanging in the air.
Looking at ur photo, that casting sure looks thin. Is it a 1/4 “ thick at the back of the bearing race.

I had a thought that it’s likely due to the rubber dampeners flexing under torque. If I’m not mistaken this rubber-mounted (vibration dampening) drivetrain was new in 2021

Last edited:

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I guess Ford has stopped endurance testing there axles. The rock and stop test dyno would have blown these things up immediately. Please watch this from 2.38 to 3.13

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I guess Ford has stopped endurance testing there axles. The rock and stop test dyno would have blown these things up immediately. Please watch this from 2.38 to 3.13

That is an interesting statement. I worked at a dyno test track in Chandler AZ. You are exactly right.
If they had tested the truck like they did in the mid 2000s. They certainly would have broken a few. Not to mention bent a bunch of frame mounted receivers. We tested to failure on a few Not a rating.
I don’t want to think tthey quit doin durability testing before release of a new design. If so they are making a huge profit on my truck.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford could run all those same tests on the Gen14 during design and build and it wouldn't help one bit with a bad batch of

Exhaust Heat Exchangers
(warrantied)
9.75 Floating Axle Bolts
(warrantied)
Front Differentials with casting flaws,
or whatever is the cause of catastrophic failure
(warrantied for some, not for others. Ridiculous to not warranty)

They aren't fragile trucks. They very likely went through the same processes as that video revealed. You CAN beat on them.

But Quality Control with components manufacturers seems to be a glaring vulnerability these days. And they deserve the public image price that they are paying.

I personally own "the most unreliable truck in America".

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford could run all those same tests on the Gen14 during design and build and it wouldn't help one bit with a bad batch of

Exhaust Heat Exchangers
(warrantied)
9.75 Floating Axle Bolts
(warrantied)
Front Differentials with casting flaws,
or whatever is the cause of catastrophic failure
(warrantied for some, not for others. Ridiculous to not warranty)

They aren't fragile trucks. They very likely went through the same processes as that video revealed. You CAN beat on them.

But Quality Control with components manufacturers seems to be a glaring vulnerability these days. And they deserve the public image price that they are paying.

I personally own "the most unreliable truck in America".
Agreed
you have In my opinion every right to feel cheated. I would.
Sponsored