First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PB
Occupation
IT Consultant
My 2021 started to leave an oil puddle in my driveway. I took it to the dealer this morning, and after a couple of hours of searching, they found a hairline crack in the front diff housing. They mentioned the cold and snow as a potential cause, but still covered by warranty. Has anyone heard of that before?
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
My 2021 started to leave an oil puddle in my driveway. I took it to the dealer this morning, and after a couple of hours of searching, they found a hairline crack in the front diff housing. They mentioned the cold and snow as a potential cause, but still covered by warranty. Has anyone heard of that before?
Never have I heard of cold causing something like this and I have been associated with the automotive industry since the early 70's. I would lean more towards a bad casting from the foundry, but then you would see more of this happening if you had a bad mold. Unless there was an obvious strike in that area { you hit something big and hard }, I wouldn't expect Ford to deny a warranty claim. Good luck, keep us posted.

OP
OP

dh4234

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PB
Occupation
IT Consultant
Never have I heard of cold causing something like this and I have been associated with the automotive industry since the early 70's. I would lean more towards a bad casting from the foundry, but then you would see more of this happening if you had a bad mold. Unless there was an obvious strike in that area { you hit something big and hard }, I wouldn't expect Ford to deny a warranty claim. Good luck, keep us posted.
I’m not concerned about Ford denying the claim. This part is protected by the skid plate, and there is no damage on it. It just seems like a really odd failure.

Fentonclark9

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2016 Lincoln MKX
Occupation
Construction
Maybe not that wierd because my 2021 with 13k miles just did the same thing. Has a hairline crack along the pinion shaft and fluid now leaking out. I've barely used the 4x4 and has never been offroad, just use it for highway towing. I'm leaning towards a casting issue?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I would lean more towards a bad casting from the foundry, but then you would see more of this happening if you had a bad mold.
In addition to the two people now in this thread, there have been two on another board. I'm sure there are more out there, like the MaxTow axle bolts.

One user had a 4" lift so they denied his claim (shout out to Rough Country for the auxiliary warranty actually being worth something, though.), but the other user was stock height, no modifications.

User #1

Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing 1656964304148

User#2
Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing 1656964288756

Makes me think I might just go ahead and buy the VAS Differential Brace.

Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing 1656964556420

Sponsored

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
In addition to the two people now in this thread, there have been two on another board. I'm sure there are more out there, like the MaxTow axle bolts.

One user had a 4" lift so they denied his claim (shout out to Rough Country for the auxiliary warranty actually being worth something, though.), but the other user was stock height, no modifications.

User #1

1656964304148.png

User#2
1656964288756.png

1656964556420.png
WOW what a gap!

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
that has to be some sort of casting flaw .
who is vendor on the front diff housing?

very strange indeed

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
BorgWarner was on the previous generation I believe. Yea, those are either casting flaws or some kind of impact damage before it was installed in the truck.

It's probably not unheard of for components to be hit or dropped before they ever make it to the assembly line. If you climb under a Powerboost you will see tags on some components that say "Discard if dropped"

The consumer doesn't see those tags and we don't likely even consider that an inverter might slip out of someone's hand or fall off the top of a pallet. But surely they are not rare occurrences.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
yup
has to be a screw up at manufacturer. that thick of alum casting should be strong,
maybe the mount is causing induced stress, or dropped prior to assembly
you just never know.
as an airplane fixer this stuff drives me nuts. installation, manufacturer, casting done wrong,
dropped , etc

motosapien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PB
Left my truck for 1st service just before turning 10kmiles and the service associate calls me and says my front diff is leaking.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
That’s one we should all watch. I thought axles are supposed to float in and out some with suspension movement.
That looks like overtravel of the cv and axle and knuckle.
it could be a design flaw, if it is some engineer just lost his job. Maybe the lame struts/shocks from Hitachi ? Ha ha
Could be metallurgy issue too. I know in 2021 there was a shortage of raw aluminum for foundry’s. They were buying all thescrap they could find. paying top dollar for salvage too.
I remember the 78/79 Chevy half ton PU body panel rust issue. Had rust thru holes At 10 months due to steel slag/foundry issues.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Could be metallurgy issue too. I know in 2021 there was a shortage of raw aluminum for foundry’s. They were buying all thescrap they could find. paying top dollar for salvage too.
Considering the design really hasn't changed much since the early 2000s, or at least not since 2017, I'd wager this is a good hypothesis.

All over it looks like the 21's are getting the shaft with a lot of problems.

Magic1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Army

User #1

1656964304148.png

User#2
1656964288756.png

1656964556420.png
I now have almost the identical issue. No lift kit or other mods.
Ford F-150 Cracked Front Diff Housing 20221218_093313

Magic1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Army
I was in 4H, in reverse, tires were spinning, tires caught traction and boom, no More 4X4.
Sponsored