Cracked windshield

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
At 1300 miles a rock cracked my windshield. Dealer doesn’t do these replacements — is there anything special about my OEM window (acoustic?) vs whatever SafeLite or other repair shop will likely offer?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Ugh, sorry to hear, at 1300 miles I'd really want oem glass even if it costs a little more. I'm not sure if there’s any difference, maybe tint coloration, and in fact that replacement may actually be a oem piece if the aftermarket hasn't started making them yet.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I personally would go OEM simply for the sensors and possible re-calibrations (from what I’ve been told from other shops not dealers)

Techguy82

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
IT
On my 2016 F150 I replaced that windshield pretty much every year at safelite. Each time Safelite used the same exact soundscreen windshield as stock. Make sure you have glass coverage like I do, never cost me a cent (Safeco insurance).

My 2022 windshield is almost destroyed after one winter in Colorado so I expect to replace it just as often as my 2016.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I took a stone in mine and ended up going to a body shop across from my dealer and told them I wanted a Ford windshield. They ordered it from my dealer. Any glass installer can order the glass from Ford. I was worried that the sensors and camera would not work with a non OEM glass.

Sponsored

OP
OP
richardrocks

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
I took a stone in mine and ended up going to a body shop across from my dealer and told them I wanted a Ford windshield. They ordered it from my dealer. Any glass installer can order the glass from Ford. I was worried that the sensors and camera would not work with a non OEM glass.
Thanks! This is only my third cracked window in 25 years of driving. My other vehicle is a new Wrangler and I’ve already been warned to bank on replacing that window at least once a year 😬

The truck is so quiet… amazingly there’s less wind noise than any vehicle I’ve ever owned and I wasn't sure how much of that is due to acoustic glass or something. I’ll ask for OEM.

I wonder if that 75 year logo will disappear 🤷‍♂️

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
I went with OEM when mine was replaced. I have glass coverage but the invoice charged to the insurance company was just shy of $1,000 including the rip off camera calibration for over $400 which literally took 3 minutes.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
They should be able to get the 75 year logo on your new glass. Other than missing the union made in Kansas sticker, it had all the makings at the top and the Sound Shield as well.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
SafeLite offers an OEM Glass. Costs a bit more, but insurance will cover it (at least mine did). They recalibrate sensors and such, not complicated.

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
SafeLite offers an OEM Glass. Costs a bit more, but insurance will cover it (at least mine did). They recalibrate sensors and such, not complicated.
We had to replace the windshield on my wife's 2021 Honda CRV last month and we had to go to a SafeLite service location to do it so that they could recalibrate the sensors. It was quick and easy.

Sponsored

konoplya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150
a tiny rock hit my windshield all the way at the top of the front lane keeping camera. tiny chip. thing keeps cracking daily by a couple inches. can't believe it. i have a ton of large chips in my other cars and no cracks for years.

are there any specific brands that are perhaps better/stronger than OEM glass i can request from my insurance company?

as for recalibration, does Safelite do a good job or do I need to find a specific shop to do that?

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Thanks! This is only my third cracked window in 25 years of driving. My other vehicle is a new Wrangler and I’ve already been warned to bank on replacing that window at least once a year 😬

The truck is so quiet… amazingly there’s less wind noise than any vehicle I’ve ever owned and I wasn't sure how much of that is due to acoustic glass or something. I’ll ask for OEM.

I wonder if that 75 year logo will disappear 🤷‍♂️
Make sure that they order a 23’ windshield. I live in Michigan so (when) my glass breaks I am going to specify that glass for my 22. 😁

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
My 2022 had a cab weatherseal defect and the factory rear window needed to be removed for access. The dealer had an independent auto glass company remove and then reinstall the window.

It is a major source of irritation for me when our state LEOs don't bother to enforce the existing laws about trucks not having tires sticking out past the sides to prevent rocks from being tossed up and damaging other motorists' windshields.

There are also too many kids that insist on using very aggressive tread tires because they look cool and give others the false impression that the owner actually goes off the pavement. And very seldom do these kids add mudflaps to their trucks with the new tires.

Toyota with its pickups and Volvo with its station wagons used to put mudflaps on all their vehicles at the factory. Now the truck makers don't even provide splash guards and sell them instead at an exhorbitant markup to customers.

konoplya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150
On my 2016 F150 I replaced that windshield pretty much every year at safelite. Each time Safelite used the same exact soundscreen windshield as stock. Make sure you have glass coverage like I do, never cost me a cent (Safeco insurance).

My 2022 windshield is almost destroyed after one winter in Colorado so I expect to replace it just as often as my 2016.
so safelite is good to go? did they do the calibration of sensors and whatnot? i have a 22 stx and need to replace mine. have full glass coverage.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
so safelite is good to go? did they do the calibration of sensors and whatnot? i have a 22 stx and need to replace mine. have full glass coverage.
yup, buddy had a coupe done at Safelite, no issues.
Sponsored