Sponsored

Front Diff Pinion Bearing Failure

Navigator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lincoln Navigator
Seems it would have been easier to swap the differential. How did bolts get cross threaded was there prior work done?
I think it would have been much easier and faster to find a skilled mechanic to swap it out for a new or reman unit. It would have been more expensive but I needed the truck for work reasons. The dealership made this look like a science experiment. I have seen major engines opened up and transmissions swapped out which took a lot less time. It seemed like the dealership was launching a space rocket rather then simply fixing the truck. This really set me back.

I picked up the vehicle in February new and put 20,000 miles on it. No work was ever done to it. I have had 2 similar vehicles in the past where this was NEVER the problem. The problems in the past were engine, cooling and transmission. Those problems appear to have been solved. However, this is a new issue.

I am not savvy to front differentials. Are there units from Ford performance or some other maker of differentials that would be better to put in there?

My strong advice is be particular about the dealership you take it to. If you had problems in the past with the dealership then go to another one. Look at reviews closely. If there any reviews about bad service or untimely repairs forget that dealership. Its not going to work. Part of this was my fault because I had issues with this dealer in the past and should have known better. Yeah...maybe you should entertain an independent mechanic and find a better differential if one can be found.
Sponsored

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
I"m going to have to look at mine with a thermal camera. I have an odd vibration / noise that reminds me of a WWII bomber movie. Rotating tires made no difference. I can shift into N and turn off the engine @ 50mph and I can still hear it, so not engine noise. I find it far from normal. Also, being a 22' I don't have IWE's, so my front axle is always turning. Definitely something to look at.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I"m going to have to look at mine with a thermal camera. I have an odd vibration / noise that reminds me of a WWII bomber movie. Rotating tires made no difference. I can shift into N and turn off the engine @ 50mph and I can still hear it, so not engine noise. I find it far from normal. Also, being a 22' I don't have IWE's, so my front axle is always turning. Definitely something to look at.
Maybe. Do you have the 4A option? The XLT and lower have EIWEs. Sometimes these have trouble disengaging in cold weather.

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
I do have the 4A option, Only use it when the roads are not snow plowed though. I could be wrong, I was under the impression that they took the IWE's off all versions in 22?

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
'21-? 4A, ESOF and 4A Hi-Lock (Tremor): IWEs

'22+ 4A: no IWEs

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I've been reading these entries. Just doesn't make sense (uless there's a manufacturing defect)... I think the change in angle when lowering has something to do with this since that changes the angle of entry of the shaft into the casing. You wouldn't think a small change in this angle could do that... but maybe it changes the oil circulation within the casing and the bearing drys out... Hm-m-m...

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I've been reading these entries. Just doesn't make sense (uless there's a manufacturing defect)... I think the change in angle when lowering has something to do with this since that changes the angle of entry of the shaft into the casing. You wouldn't think a small change in this angle could do that... but maybe it changes the oil circulation within the casing and the bearing drys out... Hm-m-m...
Leveling kits don't change the position of the front differential at all. It changes the angles on the CV axles, but main diff housing is untouched. Only if you do a full 4" lift does the diff have to move.
Sponsored