Continuing 2kw PowerOnBoard issues.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The 30 Gallon tank yields basically the same mileage as the 36 gallon tank does for the ICE only truck.

At least it does for those who's driving conditions are benefiting from the EV mileage.

Towing an RV negates much of that mileage difference, of course. But then the extra 6 gallons at 10mpg isn't much to begin with.
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Yeah, the frequency issues are totally expected. When the waveform does more direction changes than a normal 60 Hz sine wave, those are detected as a higher frequency. The output of my inverter typically reads 160 to 190 Hz. This is so ridiculous... lol.
Another test you could use to show there's a problem. Find an analog clock and plug it in. It should run much faster given the frequency. Even better if the dealership has one in the shop you could use. Once it's noticably off, which shouldn't take long, ask if that's normal.

OP
OP

Countryeemann1

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
Another test you could use to show there's a problem. Find an analog clock and plug it in. It should run much faster given the frequency. Even better if the dealership has one in the shop you could use. Once it's noticably off, which shouldn't take long, ask if that's normal.
Based on their response to the pictures of the waveforms, they'll probably say the clock was viewed from a gravity well so it just appears to run faster.

On second thought, if they can't identify a simple normal sine wave, I'm guessing Einstein's general relativity would be a bit much.

Sarcasm off. I wish they'd just fix this...

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I'd like seeing video of you trying to hold a circular saw blade with fingers.

That's crazy the larger inverter is so bad. My 400w does the job for the little that I've used it. Charged up power tool batteries.

OP
OP

Countryeemann1

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
I'd like seeing video of you trying to hold a circular saw blade with fingers.

That's crazy the larger inverter is so bad. My 400w does the job for the little that I've used it. Charged up power tool batteries.
Not fingers... just a single finger tip can prevent a 10 amp circular saw blade from moving. I wasn't even holding the teeth but just pressed up against the side of the blade (I wasn't quite stupid enough to try holding the teeth). lol. FYI, I did plug it into a standard house outlet after this just to make sure the saw was working properly. This is EXACTLY why it won't start the compressor for the AC in our RV... zero torque.

We'll see what Ford says this week. If they don't fix it, I'll probably start a new YouTube channel and demonstrate everything I've seen with this piece of garbage.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
For reference on my 7.2kW inverter, my 15a chop saw almost sounds a little hotter on the truck than it does connected to an extension cord. At 7.6kW draw on the inverter, it's holding 240v on the nose at the 'appliance'.

OP
OP

Countryeemann1

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
Well, several more hours of my life wasted.

Went back to Ford today and this time showed them pictures of the waveforms coming off this inverter. Then showed them the frequency is reading 189 Hz (as opposed to a normal 60 Hz). Service guy admitted this was definitive proof this inverter was screwed up (he has some background in electrical). Also offered to show them I can hold a circular saw blade stationary with one finger when plugged into the truck's inverter. Finally... going somewhere?

He takes this info to service manager and director. They tell him that if they compare it to a truck on the lot (which we did the last time I was there) and it's acting the same, they won't replace it.

So, definitively not working properly but won't replace because a truck on their lot has the same issue. Apparently if your inverter is on fire and a truck on the lot is also on fire, it's working as designed. I feel like I need to shower just to get the stupid off...

They also suggested, several times, that I should have purchased a larger inverter. Everything I'm testing is significantly less than the rated 2000 watts... and I've told them this repeatedly. More material for the stupid pile.

My last effort (going through Ford) is to contact another dealer which I just did. Spoke with the service manager and he seems willing to help. We'll see. If this doesn't work I will start the process of legal options and post a video to YouTube showing everything.

Last edited:
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Offroad Traveler

Went back to Ford today and this time showed them pictures of the waveforms coming off this inverter. Then showed them the frequency is reading 189 Hz (as opposed to a normal 60 Hz). Service guy admitted this was definitive proof this inverter was screwed up (he has some background in electrical). Also offered to show them I can hold a circular saw blade stationary with one finger when plugged into the truck's inverter. Finally... going somewhere?

He takes this info to service manager and director. They tell him that if they compare it to a truck on the lot (which we did the last time I was there) and it's acting the same, they won't replace it.

So, definitively not working properly but won't replace because a truck on their lot has the same issue. Apparently if your inverter is on fire and a truck on the lot is also on fire, it's working as designed. I feel like I need to shower just to get the stupid off me...

My last effort (going through Ford) is to contact another dealer which I just did. Spoke with the service manager and he seems willing to help. We'll see. If this doesn't work I will start the process of legal options and post a video to YouTube showing everything.
that is disappointing.

my vote is that you post the youtube video now and then post updates that show how the dealerships have been treating this. It’ll get the attention of other F150 owners and others who post reviews on youtube. Strength in numbers.

OP
OP

Countryeemann1

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
that is disappointing.

my vote is that you post the youtube video now and then post updates that show how the dealerships have been treating this. It’ll get the attention of other F150 owners and others who post reviews on youtube. Strength in numbers.
We have a busy period over the next week or so but I may make a quick video. Agree that some more exposure would probably help.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
If they told me I should have purchased a bigger inverter, I would have asked them where that option is on the order sheet for whatever engine you have. It just shows how little dealers care about knowing their products and servicing them.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

So, definitively not working properly but won't replace because a truck on their lot has the same issue. Apparently if your inverter is on fire and a truck on the lot is also on fire, it's working as designed. I feel like I need to shower just to get the stupid off...

They also suggested, several times, that I should have purchased a larger inverter. Everything I'm testing is significantly less than the rated 2000 watts... and I've told them this repeatedly. More material for the stupid pile.

Could you send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your preferred Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at these issues on my end.

OP
OP

Countryeemann1

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
So nothing new in this post... just needed a quick vent.

Prepping our little camper for a trip and having to pack a generator and additional fuel is particularly irritating. Again, this is THE reason we purchased this truck as opposed to a Jeep Gladiator.

I'll also add the generator we're having to pack has a lower power rating than the ProPower yet runs everything in the camper and has a nice clean 60 Hz output (as expected).

Thanks again Roadless for the YouTube idea... now looking forward to making a video. Other people need to know what they might be getting into with Ford these days.

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Offroad Traveler
So nothing new in this post... just needed a quick vent.

Prepping our little camper for a trip and having to pack a generator and additional fuel is particularly irritating. Again, this is THE reason we purchased this truck as opposed to a Jeep Gladiator.

I'll also add the generator we're having to pack has a lower power rating than the ProPower yet runs everything in the camper and has a nice clean 60 Hz output (as expected).

Thanks again Roadless for the YouTube idea... now looking forward to making a video. Other people need to know what they might be getting into with Ford these days.
FYI - Here's a timely article about the ProPower 2kW platform as well as some explanation that could help us better understand the issues we're facing and the underlying sources of the problems. Looks like the author (who runs a great youtube channel btw) wants some volunteers to help better understand the 2kW platform. I plan to contact him.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Watching this thread since I also have the the 2kw inverter but have only used it to power a shop vac and a commercial hot dog roller with no problems.
Sponsored