First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
So a big reason for purchasing this truck was to use the 2KW inverter to power our camper... specifically the A/C. 2KW is well within the capacity as the unit has a Softstart installed and slowly rolls up to about 1300 to 1500 watts (measured on house power). The problem is when running on the truck, the A/C compressor won't start. Nothing trips... it just doesn't start. Everything else in the camper seems to run fine off the truck.

I feel like there's something strange about this inverter. I've tested the voltage and frequency and they both appear to be fine. I did notice that the ground/neutral are unbonded (not uncommon I guess) and it looks like the ground is actually floating (measuring about 280v between ground and hot or neutral). I haven't tried actually grounding the ground lead but am thinking of trying that next. I also tried bonding ground/neutral and it trips the inverter.

Another weird thing. When I put the RV surge protector on the truck's inverter, the surge protector doesn't even show power is applied.

I've contacted the Softstart company and they have no idea but, in their defense, it starts properly on every power source except the truck. The Ford dealers have no clue about these inverters other than they supply power. Kinda stuck right now and looking for any possible ideas.

TIA.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Countryeemann1

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
It would be a tremendous help if one of more of you with the 2KW package could at least measure your ground/neutral and ground/hot voltages at the outlet so I can compare them with what I'm seeing.

TIA.

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'd be happy to help, but I'm a dif ProPower onboard configuration.

I guess the 2KW trucks aren't always even utilized, so not as much chatter?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I think in all my time of reading on this forum I have only seen 1 or 2 people post comments with the 2k generator. Most who get the the PB get the 7.2k option, and any others say they never use that generator.

Stealth88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a
Occupation
Aerospace
I have a 2021 5.0 with the pro power onboard. I’ve used it once to test, but haven’t had to use it yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Countryeemann1

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
Hoping there's just one person who can test theirs. I haven't asked the dealer yet because getting any of them to do anything for free is usually pretty difficult.

I can't see any logical reason for their being such a high voltage on the ground... even if it is floating.

OP
OP

Countryeemann1

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Retired
I think in all my time of reading on this forum I have only seen 1 or 2 people post comments with the 2k generator. Most who get the the PB get the 7.2k option, and any others say they never use that generator.

I might be wrong but I think unless you have a hybrid, the 2KW is the only option.
Sponsored