First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I've had several F-150's with console shifters, now driver a '17 King Ranch F-350 with column shifting. I was amazed when moving up to the F-350 that the non-optional column shifter added SO MUCH more space to the center console area - TWO more cup holders, or an entire extra bin (switchable). I'm not looking forward to backtracking to the console shift with the incoming KR F-150, but expect the other advantages will compensate.

Given current technology the console shift seems silly - an imitation shifter, as it actually does not shift the tranny, only looks like an old-school shifter that attaches to a shift box below the floor. Faux functionality that just takes up space.

An interesting factoid that some F-150 owners may not know - all Ford F-series cabs are now essentially the same sheet metal - Super Duty trucks with the same format as regular duty trucks (F-150's vs F-350's) are identical - a Supercab or Supercrew cab on an F-150 is the same as an F-250,350,450. The interior finishes and components are different, but we have the same windshields, share doors, running gear, mirrors, etc. Real truck folks know this (also true for last generation trucks), but it is lost on many. For example, one of the reasons that I'm getting a new 2021 KR Powerboost is that our new HOA here in Florida won't allow us to own an F-350, but will allow an F-150. They allow half-ton pickups, but not 3/4 ton. They simply would not believe it when I pointed out that there is zero size difference between a 6.5' bed F-350 and a 6.5 bed F-150 KR except 1.5 inches of height. So I'm storing the F-350 offsite for now. Won't they be surprised when the new, identical-paint-color F-150 comes in and gets parked legally in the driveway, taking up the exact same space as the superduty it replaces.

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Went with console. All vehicles I have ever owned have been console and its what I like. To me it’s the fastest way to get in gear and positively know I’m in the right gear simply by feel. Column shifters I always go too far then they get all finicky on me and it’s annoying.

My wifes car has buttons and its okay, better than a dial at least. To me a dial is like a column shifter and a button shifter got together and had a demented baby. You get the awkwardness of buttons together with not really being able to feel and easily stop at the gear you want.

Only thing is I do wish the console had is a full electronic option (maybe using the touch screen) for shifting so that you could have the work surface open while on the road. So until they implement that (which i imagine is just a software thing they could do if they really wanted), the column shifter does get the win there.

20acrefarms

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Atlas, 2023 F150 XL
Occupation
Industrial Fire Fighter
Went with console. All vehicles I have ever owned have been console and its what I like. To me it’s the fastest way to get in gear and positively know I’m in the right gear simply by feel. Column shifters I always go too far then they get all finicky on me and it’s annoying.
Haha that is true. Driving around in “2” wondering what’s wrong with the truck. I found with the manual option on the column shifter it is a clearer stop at drive and reverse.
Sponsored