Engineer
My order of Preference would be
Column
Console
Sync Touch Screen Buttons
App
20 more things later.
Knob.

The knob is the worst option on a pickup truck IMHO.
This made me LOL. I have never used a knob and have nothing against Ram either. But what makes a knob so bad? Genuinely asking.
Sponsored

F150 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Paint Horse
Practically nothing at all. To me It just seems wrong to use a knob to put a truck in gear. It could be made of pure titanium and It would still seem cheap and wrong to me.

Kinda like if someone mixed a Toy Poodle and a Great Dane. It can be done, but it's just wrong.

OP
OP
Asphaltman

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Practically nothing at all. To me It just seems wrong to use a knob to put a truck in gear. It could be made of pure titanium and It would still seem cheap and wrong to me.

Kinda like if someone mixed a Toy Poodle and a Great Dane. It can be done, but it's just wrong.
Its funny, I always wanted the shift on the floor 4x4 options rather then the 4x4 knobs as they were introduced.....that's just how it was supposed to be right?... So I can relate. The funny thing, the trans is all electronic anymore, but the column or console just feels right...I get it.

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
For those of you with the console, would you prefer a column shifter like the Super Duty’s to gain more cup holders / storage? Seems like they could even save money by not having to engineeer the fold down shifter as they did.
To me, console, column, dial, buttons, etc is a personal preference and there are no good or bad answers. However, I'm puzzled why some people say they need 'more cupholders' as a reason for having a different type transmission. Maybe it's just me, as a Canadian, who doesn't understand the need to have 20 cupholders in a car/truck, but.

Just how many cupholders do you need? Maybe it's a USA thing? Lol! Aren't the 2 large ones in the console currently, plus in those in the front doors *and* and the other 2 at back of the armrest, enough for you?

Storage wise, the center armrest storage space is quite decent, but of course I could always use more.

OP
OP
Asphaltman

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
To me, console, column, dial, buttons, etc is a personal preference and there are no good or bad answers. However, I'm puzzled why some people say they need 'more cupholders' as a reason for having a different type transmission. Maybe it's just me, as a Canadian, who doesn't understand the need to have 20 cupholders in a car/truck, but.

Just how many cupholders do you need? Maybe it's a USA thing? Lol! Aren't the 2 large ones in the console currently, plus in those in the front doors *and* and the other 2 at back of the armrest, enough for you?

Storage wise, the center armrest storage space is quite decent, but of course I could always use more.
I would totally like more room. Doesnt need to be cup holders though. I have had SuerDuty's that have additional room / cup holder inserts if wanted. Currently 1 of my 2 spots are occupied by the WeatherTech CupFone phone holder. Plus I cant wait to see issues when the little motor goes out that powers the shifter down for the work surface.

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
This?
PXL_20210321_212355280.jpg

PXL_20210321_212337851.jpg

It hides a bolt that I'm unwilling to remove. ?

PXL_20210321_212255906.jpg
You could fit a healthy amount of drugs(personal use amounts) in there. Swapping out my sport pack for the XTR may very well go down as one of the biggest regrets of my life ☹

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
I would totally like more room. Doesnt need to be cup holders though. I have had SuerDuty's that have additional room / cup holder inserts if wanted. Currently 1 of my 2 spots are occupied by the WeatherTech CupFone phone holder. Plus I cant wait to see issues when the little motor goes out that powers the shifter down for the work surface.
If you're using your cupholders for your accessories, may one day you'll need to buy accessory cupholders lol!!

Seriously though, yes, motors can die, but so can electronic dials and other mechanisms. It's the nature of the beast. I have a dial in my Edge and that's fine. A dial in a truck though, I'm not sure. It's not very 'truck like' to my eyes. Just my personal preference of couse. Column shifters are fine but it's very 80s. In my opinion, Ford struck a good balance of functionality and suitability with a modern twist for this type of vehicle with the foldable console shifter. Time will tell if they gambled wrong.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
The guys gt500's aren't belly aching about the dial in the 2020 models. If anyone would be complaining about looks and feel you'd think they would. It's a non-issue on the gt500 forum.

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The guys gt500's aren't belly aching about the dial in the 2020 models. If anyone would be complaining about looks and feel you'd think they would. It's a non-issue on the gt500 forum.
There's about 3 GT500s out there, and 500,000 F-150's. The decision for the truck's shifter, by Ford, was a much more thought out process than for the GT500. As for my personal preference, as a GT owner, this car belongs with a manual transmission.

Camptruck

First Name
Linus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2021 F-150 XLT Velocity Blue
Occupation
Project Manager
I have an 21 XLT and specifically did not get the sport package because it came with the console shifter. When I test drove a truck with the console shifter, just didn't like where it was positioned. Felt cramped when shifting it. In my opinion it would have been better if it folded down the other way. I do agree with LHoffmanjr22 about it being better if manually shifting, but I don't expect to be doing that very much.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have an 21 XLT and specifically did not get the sport package because it came with the console shifter. When I test drove a truck with the console shifter, just didn't like where it was positioned. Felt cramped when shifting it. In my opinion it would have been better if it folded down the other way. I do agree with LHoffmanjr22 about it being better if manually shifting, but I don't expect to be doing that very much.
I had no strong desire for the console shift, which is weird as I’ve been driving stick cars predominately for 45 yrs.
I did take a King Ranch for a spin during that “Drive a 2021” event jus because I had ordered a truck with the 5.0.
That shifter location/position felt extremely unnatural to me.
The location in my Thunderbirds was perfect for me—same height as the “arm rest” part of the console.
The shifter in the new trucks is too low and close to console lid-armrest.
Still missing my clutch pedal even tho I have adjusted to the column shift.
Had to take my old truck and then the ElCamino out today just to give my clutch leg some exercise.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Unless it’s a manual shifter w/ clutch, I’ve never liked console shifters. They get in the way and it’s another place for soccer moms to spill their coffee.

I would always choose a colum shifter if given a choice, however, I feel the 2021 column shifter could use more throw if I wanted to do crazy shit like forward and reverse 180°s.

One cool thing, is the shifter will shift to park all on its own if you turn the engine off in drive.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
One cool thing, is the shifter will shift to park all on its own if you turn the engine off in drive.
Freaked me out the first time this happened.
Pull up to the coffee joint in the morning, shut the truck off, and wondered why the key won’t come out.
THEN. The shifter started moving up—-freaky

20acrefarms

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 VW Atlas, 2023 F150 XL
Occupation
Industrial Fire Fighter
My order of Preference would be
Column
Console
Sync Touch Screen Buttons
App
20 more things later.
Knob.

The knob is the worst option on a pickup truck IMHO.
LOL, I felt the same way too but after using the space knob in my ram for the past 6 years it becomes surprisingly natural feeling. Still occationally adjust the radio by mistake in my wife car

Dan

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Construction
LMAO I love that you included a contextual help link there! Well... Thank God they hide it away then, cause you know one of us dumb monkey's will try to turn the dam thing.
Well well, dumb dumb took the screw out. The Goddard Jesus nut is right. The drive shaft just dropped out of the truck. :devilish::devilish::devilish:
Sponsored