Sponsored

Anyone else feel the console shifter kinda sucks?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Slow and deliberate.
But it's because I don't trust it.
It's not deteriorated at all.
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I'm still very much getting used to a console in general coming from 12 years with an old fashioned F-150 column shifter. I feel like I hit neutral more on the truck now than I do on my bike in riding season. 🤣

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
It seems really cheap and clunky to me..

Last night I was backing in to my driveway.. Hand on the shifter with it in reverse. Slightly pushed shifter towards park and the shifter moved itself to park. I really feel like you should have to press the button in to shift to park from reverse.

Otherwise, lots of slop there as well..
I am not a fan of console shift in a truck. Waste of space.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
It's just a big oversize switch. Column, console or push buttons on the dash are all fine with me. I am the only person in my truck 98% of the time and have the whole rear seat area and 6.5 foot bed for "stuff" so prefer the comfort and look of the bucket seats...and like the utility of the Console Vault.

SWFLGuy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I have no problem with mine.
I drove a rental for a few weeks while my truck was in the body shop and it had the column shifter, it worked too.

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
The thing I hate about the console shifter the most is that I spend way more time in my work truck with a column shifter, than I do my personal truck with the console shifter, and I constantly reach for the column shifter when in my personal truck 😑

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
I intentionally ordered my 21 Lariat as a 500a version column shifted and 40/20/40 bench seat, the truck will seat 6 if needed. I'm lucky to have it because it's no longer available in the Lariat package. Although the center console looks great the loss of real estate and functionality seems ridiculous for 2 cup holders and a big clunky shifter. Guess, I like old school!

Uncorked

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XL
I absolutely love having a column shifter - especially in a regular cab truck.

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
I liked the "piano keys" shifter buttons in my Navigator. I have no objections to the shifter knob in my Maverick. Since the shifter these days is just a switch, I prefer that switch to be out of the way. The console shifter takes up tons of real estate that could be better utilized in other ways. To the original point of the OP, may console shifter lever works fine and is solid. Knock on wood it stays that way.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
The console shifter looks nice but it's unsatisfying to use. There's a little too much play in the mechanicals, probably due to it being able to lay flat. I'd rather have a knob or buttons and free up the wasted space.
Sponsored