Sponsored

Confusing results with Bilstein 6112 and 5100 installed.

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
I have a '22 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 with the 3.5L ecoboost. I was measuring 3.5" rake factory. I purchased and had a shop install Bilstein 6112 on the front and 5100 on the rear with the plan to also remove the rear blocks. However, the shop just called me and they have the 6112s set at 2" lift and the truck is measuring at only .25" rake remaining.

How is it possible that with a 2" front level that 3.5" of rake disappear? The 5100 on the rear shouldn't effect the height right? I'm so confused
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So I have the truck now. I'm really confused about this entire process to be honest but here's the update.

The truck has a 1/2 inch rake remaining after installing the 6112 and the 5100. That's down from 3.5". The 6112 are set to 2" of lift and the 5100 I don't believe add or remove any height in the rear? So somehow a 2" level has gotten me to 1/2" rake. I'm attaching some pictures of the install can anyone comment if this looks right and if the CV axle angles are too aggressive?

These are 285/65/20 on stock offset by the way, the upper control arm is insanely close to the tire I didn't realize it would be like this. should i get some spacers?

Also there are a lot of balancing weights I thought the Falkens would be more round from factory.

Ford F-150 Confusing results with Bilstein 6112 and 5100 installed. IMG_7207

Ford F-150 Confusing results with Bilstein 6112 and 5100 installed. IMG_7208

Ford F-150 Confusing results with Bilstein 6112 and 5100 installed. IMG_7209

Ford F-150 Confusing results with Bilstein 6112 and 5100 installed. IMG_7210

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm also noticing some variability between back left and back right height up to about .5" at times. Is it normal for back right and left to be so variable?

Also what tire pressure should I be running these 34.5" E load tires at?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Did you install the 2017-2020 6112s, or the 2021+ 6112s? The early versions will bolt up, but each notch results in a higher ride height.

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you install the 2017-2020 6112s, or the 2021+ 6112s? The early versions will bolt up, but each notch results in a higher ride height.
Nope these are the 2021+ part number from stage 3 as far as I am aware.

Sponsored

Mladen5375

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lariat powerboost, 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T
Occupation
Engineer
I have the same set sitting in my garage and will get them installed before summer ends. I am not looking for level, maybe just an inch from stock height, but have you noticed any difference in ride quality over stock?

Mladen5375

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lariat powerboost, 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm also noticing some variability between back left and back right height up to about .5" at times. Is it normal for back right and left to be so variable?

Also what tire pressure should I be running these 34.5" E load tires at?
Gas tank is on the drivers side so if your tank is full, rear drivers side will be a bit lower than the rear passenger side

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas tank is on the drivers side so if your tank is full, rear drivers side will be a bit lower than the rear passenger side
Ahh I have about half a tank but its the 36gal so that might be it

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Nothing unusual about drivers side being lower. It's far more common than most think and it drives the OCD folks insane.

Also, any measurements of the front immediately after installing the Bilsteins on a raised perch can be misleading as well. It's very possible for the front to drop some after a few miles. Depending on how much suspension stress the front experiences, it's hard to predict just how many miles. The truck will "settle".

Also, it's actually possible for two different installers to get two different results, depending on their procedure and just how much "settling" is introduced before they tighten everything up.

Regardless, I would reserve judgment on the exact math for a while and just drive the truck. :)

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
CV Axles seem to be okay based on the photos provided. In terms of the front tires rubbing against the UCA, i would just get small sized spacers that won't require any modifications of your wheel studs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the same set sitting in my garage and will get them installed before summer ends. I am not looking for level, maybe just an inch from stock height, but have you noticed any difference in ride quality over stock?
Ride quality is different, haven't really had a lot of time with it but its not bad it just feels less like you are riding a bouncy pillow down the road.

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nothing unusual about drivers side being lower. It's far more common than most think and it drives the OCD folks insane.

Also, any measurements of the front immediately after installing the Bilsteins on a raised perch can be misleading as well. It's very possible for the front to drop some after a few miles. Depending on how much suspension stress the front experiences, it's hard to predict just how many miles. The truck will "settle".

Also, it's actually possible for two different installers to get two different results, depending on their procedure and just how much "settling" is introduced before they tighten everything up.

Regardless, I would reserve judgment on the exact math for a while and just drive the truck. :)
I think I'll take your advice. I dropped the pressures to about 40 and calling it a night. I have an email into Bilstein with these photos to investigate if they think anything is up with the install and will go from there.

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
FYI. I did the same as you, new gen 6112s @ 1.50in up front and 5100s in the rear. Added 33in E rated Coopers as well. I noticed the different rear heights before I added the 5100s and it still has 3/4in-ish difference after the install, so I assume it came off the line like that. Interestingly, my higher side is the driver side. I now sit at 1-1.25in-ish of rake, which I am fine with since I haul/tow.
If my mathmatism is gud, and you added a full 2in level, your rake seems a little off.
I am curious what Bilstein says, let us know.
Sponsored