Compare Bilstein 5100 to 5160/6112

FixOrRepairDaily

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost star white
I am looking for leveling solution and ride quality improvements (non-offroad) on my 22 powerboost. After reading through the forum, I have 2 options.

1. Use Bilstein 5100 front and back. Lift 2.5 in the front.
2. Ford Performance kit that includes Bilstein 5160 for the rear and 6112 for the front.

How would these 2 options compare in terms of ride quality?
Sponsored

Wallyo

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Super Crew XLT
My best advice is to call bistein tech support and talk it over with them as to what your are trying to achieve, what driving you do, what type of roads in general you drive on. They are very responsive and will spend the time going over which product they would recommend to you. I have talked with them on numerous occasions(non f150 Applications)

But there are other very good shocks out there to consider aside from bilstein. KYB, ranchero, and more that will do the same thing and cost less.

Not knocking bilstein I have them on my Mercedes 03 ml. But buying them is like deciding between Costco Kirkland sunglasses and Ray Bands they both will protect your eyes. It just you want people to know you have Ray bands.. I purchased them for the ml because it is 20 years old and part support is slowly dying. They were one of the few name brand manufacturers left to choose from.

Bilstein B8 5100 shock absorbers are designed as a direct fit solution for lifted trucks and SUV’s. These shock absorbers feature a monotube design which provides consistent fade free performance. B8 5100 shock absorbers utilize a unique, velocity sensitive, digressive piston which reacts to changing road conditions. All B8 5100 shock absorbers are tuned for each specific application to assure optimal performance is achieved. B8 5100 shock absorbers offer a significant improvement in ride quality, handling, and comfort.

Bilstein B8 5160 remote reservoir shock absorbers are designed as a direct fit solution for lifted trucks and SUVs. The remote reservoir will offer increased cooling capacity and wheel travel to optimize overall performance compared to a traditional shock absorber. These shock absorbers feature a monotube design for consistent fade free performance and utilize velocity sensitive digressive valve settings which are tuned for each specific application. Each shock absorber is fitted with a unique 360 degree swivel banjo hose fitting and an attractive billet reservoir mount where applicable providing a clean, low profile installation. B8 5160 remote reservoir shock absorbers will increase overall durability of your vehicle allowing you to conquer the harshest of off-road environments.

Bilstein B8 6112 leveling kits are designed to provide more ground clearance, allow for larger tires, and increase wheel travel. Multiple snap-ring grooves in the body allow for different spring seat positions, providing 0-2.75 inches of front lift (depending on application). These kits consist of (2) 60mm shock absorbers combined with (2) custom matched cold wound coil springs and (2) billet aluminum spring seats. The large 60mm digressive piston allows for increased damping control for optimal on-road and off-road capabilities. Experience the legendary Bilstein off-road experience with the best direct fit spring and shock kit for your light truck or SUV.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Look at the eibach coil over kit.
https://eibach.com/product/E86-35-035-01-22?epsid=2893

I have the 5100 kit on all four corners of my rig, I’m not the happiest with the front valving. It seems to soft. My front is set a 0” of lift though so it will definitely tighten up a bit with more preload. Just my .02s!

OP
OP
FixOrRepairDaily

FixOrRepairDaily

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost star white
send a message to Bilstein with my question. Let's see.

Wallyo

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Super Crew XLT
Bilstein tends to hide there customer service number here it is if you need it.

YOU ASK. WE ANSWER.
We are constantly looking to improve our services, and value the feedback of our customers. Please call or email your desired location to get in touch with a BILSTEIN representative. For customer service, call 1.800.537.1085

Tell them you need tech support, most of aftermarket reps are car truck enthusiasts themselves and will talk with a customer all day if they have time.

Sponsored

lrequa92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Supercrew STX 5.0L 4x4
Look at the eibach coil over kit.
https://eibach.com/product/E86-35-035-01-22?epsid=2893

I have the 5100 kit on all four corners of my rig, I’m not the happiest with the front valving. It seems to soft. My front is set a 0” of lift though so it will definitely tighten up a bit with more preload. Just my .02s!
If you were going to do it again, what height setting would you go with? I’m about to be installing these on my truck and can’t decide what setting I want to run. Thanks

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
If you were going to do it again, what height setting would you go with? I’m about to be installing these on my truck and can’t decide what setting I want to run. Thanks
I’m RWD so with last gens 5100 set at 0 I got 3” of lift! How that’s possible no clue. I would do 1.75 or 2.5 if I had a 4wd not any lower. What tire/wheel combo you trying to run?

lrequa92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Supercrew STX 5.0L 4x4
I’m RWD so with last gens 5100 set at 0 I got 3” of lift! How that’s possible no clue. I would do 1.75 or 2.5 if I had a 4wd not any lower. What tire/wheel combo you trying to run?
I was thinking about doing 2" I have two sets of wheels. OEM 20s and 18s. Wasnt planning on running much bigger than stock size. If i went bigger, 34s would be the biggest but probably would try to stay between 33-33.5. Are guys having issues with alignments doing 2.5" levels?

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Stage3Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX CrewCab 4x4
my 2 cents:

The 5100s are great for a daily driven light off-roading truck with a budget, 6112 are a much better all around product but come at a price, if the price is in your budget they are well worth the money. More info below.

the 5100s at the stock height will be soft as the ride is really dictated by the spring, so the strut will certainly help with the trucks response to bumps but will still be soft and rolly. Now the higher up you go the firmer the truck will ride, eliminating a lot of the slop and body roll that the truck has. Now where the downside of the 5100s will be is at max height over larger bumps (speedbumps, potholes, more serious off-roading) they can be a bit jarring in these situations because of the pre-compressed spring.

with the 6112 you will essentially get all of the benefits of the 5100s plus more, without any of the of the negatives. The 6112 will maintain comfort while eliminating body roll and slop as well as greatly improve Offroad handling and ride quality.

Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
You’re going to get a better ride from the 6112. New coils in that case, 5100s you’ll reuse and heavily preload the stock coils unless you purchase a separate set.

If you’re doing the install yourself, you can get the 6112s ready to bolt on the truck and it’s a real time and hassle saver.

Since you’re concerned about ride quality and want the full 2.5, buy a set of UCAs so your alignment stays where you need it and gets you the caster you want so the truck tracks down the road and bump steer is not an issue

trabo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Powerboost, 2016 Highlander
Occupation
Titanium and Plastic
Just so you guys know, the 5100s have a longer arm so the preload is mitigated. In the tacoma world this is a hotly debated topic and there is a ton of misinformation out there. The adjustable fronts on the 5100 would technically preload the strut but again, they purposely add *some* length to the lower arm of the strut. Keeping it on the first couple notches will not result in you bottoming out. I run these shocks on my taco and tbh they feel like they'd be a tad wimpy on an F-150 (especially a heavier powerboost). I do love them on the tacoma though, surely.

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
I have the 6112 up front with the 5100 out back. I am running 1.5in level. I use the truck 50% paved and 50% dirt. I run larger and heavier E rated tires and have a leer cap with Decked drawer system. I overland and typically have a more than average payload. Thousands of highway and dirt miles so far and zero complaints. If you off road and can afford it, 6112s are great. Not sure why anything more than the 5100s out back would benefit unless you are running fast off-road.

COG099

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4 Powerboost
I have the 6112/5160 on my 21 PB King Ranch. She is a heavy son of gun so you definitely want to use the highest setting. On the PB the Bilstein kit adds 2.25” of height due to the additional weight vs other models.

I have been very satisfied with the ride vs factory. Eliminated the waterbed floaty feeling on the highway. With 34” E rated tires it also turns much flatter.
Sponsored