First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Government Employee
I’m not even on the schedule until 9/28 due to a massive backlog in the my area. If there is a part on back order I guess it doesn’t matter.
@Lawdog3003 @quartzlariat - do either of you know if Ford said this can cause additional damage to suspension/ whatever else is loose if we keep driving them?
Although they would fix it.. just more to have to worked on

I dont, my dealer doesn't even know what's making the noise.
Sponsored

Steve H

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Profesional
Hey all, first post I am having the same problem with my 2020 XLT Fx4 5.0 and signed up here to follow this. I have tried and looked at everything and my dealer even replaced my rear axle on the passenger side and the rear leaf springs. Sorry, but I am also glad to see others are hiving this issue.

My problem seems to be when turning either direction over any uneven surface. My driveway is just a smaller lip where it meets the curb. My noise is not too loud, but just a click click and I can sometimes get it when just turning on a very small slope. I also have the new spring pads from an aftermarket company. and no difference. I can also dance on and , shake and do everything to my truck but not get the sound sitting. Last evening I stuffed some insulation between the tank and the plastic tank skid plate, but I am going to look at the area near the spring perch.

It almost sounds like something is pre-loading and then releasing. It is sometimes almost a chatter noise and I thought possibly from the brakes but IDK. I have also thought maybe is it the slip yoke on the driveshaft. Oh, also I also wonder if it is the axle shaft shifting and hitting the c-clip in the differential?

I am also thinking about trying a set of chassis ears to try and isolate it. Anyone else tried this?

Please keep us updated if anyone gets anywhere of finds a resolution. Thank you

Just for info here are the things I have checked.

shock and shock torque
u bolt torque
seat rattle
driveshaft / u joints seem ok
rear springs were replaced
new spring pads in place
white grease put on springs
checked all shields
hitch it tight
rear spare is tight
bed bolts are tight
4wd works ok and not clicking
everything I can find is torqued to spec.

Sponsored

Roger1108

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 F250 Turbo Diesel,2021 F150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
@Lawdog3003 @Lpetters84 According to the service manager they will be replacing the U-bolts/nuts. And they say it is not a safety concern and will not damage any other components…
@Lawdog3003 @Lpetters84 According to the service manager they will be replacing the U-bolts/nuts. And they say it is not a safety concern and will not damage any other components…
I just removed my spacer on my rear end, dropped 1 1/4" on the rear end, I torque the U bolts to 65lbs. I still don't have that clunk noise still like before. Hope that you all find what causing it.

Steve H

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Profesional
Someone on another forum mentioned that it might be the metal band that holds the leaf springs together towards the front of each spring. There is quite a space in there and I might try putting a rubber spacer in there to see if it helps.

I get the noise mostly when turning on uneven surfaces, but I also get it when going over rough surfaces like washboard roads. The best I can describe the noise is it sounds like tapping on a 5 gallon plastic bucket. It is kinda a hollow thump type noise and it always comes in pairs (thunk, thunk) when going over uneven surfaces. It is consistent with one wheel going over the bump and then the other.

Here is also what is a bit strange. I can hear it best with the windows closed like it echoes in the cab. If I open the rear sliding window or rear passenger windows I cannot hear it as well.

Is this consistent with what everyone else is experiencing?

Steve H

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Profesional
Ran across this on facebook. Might be our fix for trucks.
690885F6-95E1-4267-9BB7-F25D714059E5.jpeg

I am researching this more on my lunch today. Do you know what year truck this was from or when this was performed? I had the rear leaf springs replaced but I am wondering if they torqued them while on the ground. I will probably try this and see if it makes a difference.

KYLeadfoot21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150, Honda Pilot
I am researching this more on my lunch today. Do you know what year truck this was from or when this was performed? I had the rear leaf springs replaced but I am wondering if they torqued them while on the ground. I will probably try this and see if it makes a difference.
It was a 2021 is all I know.

Steve H

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-150 XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Profesional
I may have came up with a redneck fix or at least verified my issue. This evening I jacked up my truck, spread the rear springs with a cheater bar and put a rubber strip on top of the factory nylon pads. I cut the rubber strips from an old door mat and they are maybe 1/8 in. thick and a little wider than the springs, and when I let the jack down the pressure of the springs held them securely in place. I took the truck for a drive and the click / popping noise in 90 percent GONE.

I don't really see an issue with this solution but maybe someone here does? The springs aren't spread that much more and you cannot see the strips without looking close and I don't think it will hurt any. I suppose with a large flex or load they could compress enough to come loose, so if I decide to keep it that way I might put on some RTV or adhesive and attach them to the factory pads.

This issue has been driving my OCD crazy and just the fact that Ford has this issue and they already replaced my springs once without fixing it. My truck is a 2020 so your results might vary or be a totally different issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GFDF150

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Powerboost, ‘23 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Marketing Manager
After the dealership having my truck for two days, they found the problem. I can say as of right now, there is no more noise.
image.jpg
Wow! Thanks for sharing this information. I’m following this thread as I’m having the same “clunking” noise. When I take it back to the dealer, I’ll be carrying this documentation with me!

OP
OP
Lpetters84

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
I may have came up with a redneck fix or at least verified my issue. This evening I jacked up my truck, spread the rear springs with a cheater bar and put a rubber strip on top of the factory nylon pads. I cut the rubber strips from an old door mat and they are maybe 1/8 in. thick and a little wider than the springs, and when I let the jack down the pressure of the springs held them securely in place. I took the truck for a drive and the click / popping noise in 90 percent GONE.

I don't really see an issue with this solution but maybe someone here does? The springs aren't spread that much more and you cannot see the strips without looking close and I don't think it will hurt any. I suppose with a large flex or load they could compress enough to come loose, so if I decide to keep it that way I might put on some RTV or adhesive and attach them to the factory pads.

This issue has been driving my OCD crazy and just the principle the fact that Ford has this issue and they already replaced my springs once without fixing it. My truck is a 2020 so your results might vary or be a totally different issue.
Nice work! Yep I think that should work. Worst case maybe the rubber has to be replaced ever so often. As for the 2021 issue it sounds like
After the dealership having my truck for two days, they found the problem. I can say as of right now, there is no more noise.
image.jpg
woohoo! I too will be walking in with this piece of paper. I shall carry it in a locked Samsonite briefcase with only this piece of paper inside. Once I sit down with the service guy I’ll pop both locks with my thumbs and hand it over.

MrEmGallegos

First Name
Emery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Nice work! Yep I think that should work. Worst case maybe the rubber has to be replaced ever so often. As for the 2021 issue it sounds like

woohoo! I too will be walking in with this piece of paper. I shall carry it in a locked Samsonite briefcase with only this piece of paper inside. Once I sit down with the service guy I’ll pop both locks with my thumbs and hand it over.
Proof!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB

Make sure that briefcase is handcuffed to you first. Must protect the secrets!

Ford F-150 Clunking Noise in Rear End 1630146258122
Sponsored