Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 Lariat FX4 502a magnetic grey
2022 F150 Platinum Screw FX4.
Ordered Feb 2022 delivered May 2022.
7500 miles.

I'm looking to see if anyone has had transmission issues like mine actually fixed at the dealer. At this point I'm not sure if I should keep chasing this or just move on to another truck. My issues include:
1. 4-3 downshift clunks. Since I've had this truck, the 4-3 downshift clunks almost every time. It feels like it's binding when in 4th and then you feel it drop into 3rd with a clunk you can feel and hear
2. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 upshifts. These feel like I'm shifting a manual. You feel the transmission binding again and then releasing into the next gear. It's enough to cause your head to move back and forth on each shift
3. When in various gears, if I want to get going and give it some gas either it hesitates and then slams into gear or does another "clunk" before going
4. When I get home, I back into the driveway. Every time I shift from D to R, there is a noticeable clunk from the transmission

At 5k miles my dealer "performed main control break in procedure on clutch a, clutch c, clutch e, and clutch d performed adaptive drive cycle". After that, the transmission finally didn't feel like it was binding any more, it felt free flowing like you would expect. Unfortunately that lasted a couple weeks and then the problems came back worse.

I just got back from the dealer again and this time they "reset transmission strategy and reset TCM KAM and road tested". I can already tell you it hasn't fixed any of the problems. I am being told since there aren't any codes they can't do anything else at this point

This is my 5th straight F150. I know other manufacturers aren't perfect but this may just send me to Toyota/Ram/GM. Let me know if anyone has had any success in fixing their transmission. Thanks
Sponsored

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Do you by chance brake with your left foot?

OP
OP

Hawk75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do not. Right foot only

I should also add that outside of the examples above, the transmission is fine. Upshifts above 5th gear are good and downshifts besides 4-3 are generally good, although 5-4 can sometimes act up

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Has anyone checked the fluid level?

Have any codes been recorded?

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
I’ve had issues getting a transmission with non-DTC shift issues sorted under warranty before…my first recommendation is that you try another dealer on your next try. Sometimes a trans tech just is out of their depth, or gets flummoxed, or any of a number of issues. I had months of problems, including a rebuild, not solve an issue with a different transmission once, only to have it fixed in one try at a new dealer. Ever since my policy is a dealer gets a try and one follow up visit. There’s no third attempt.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hawk75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No codes. Not sure on the fluid levels, I will ask

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
i had harsh downshifting issues. local forum member helped me out by resetting my tables. hard downshifting never came back since. lack of transmission fluid could also play a factor in harsh up and or downshifting as well.

OP
OP

Hawk75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i had harsh downshifting issues. local forum member helped me out by resetting my tables. hard downshifting never came back since. lack of transmission fluid could also play a factor in harsh up and or downshifting as well.
Thanks. I think the reset they did today is the same as the tables you mentioned? Or are there other tables that need reset?

I will certainly ask about checking the fluid

OP
OP

Hawk75

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve had issues getting a transmission with non-DTC shift issues sorted under warranty before…my first recommendation is that you try another dealer on your next try. Sometimes a trans tech just is out of their depth, or gets flummoxed, or any of a number of issues. I had months of problems, including a rebuild, not solve an issue with a different transmission once, only to have it fixed in one try at a new dealer. Ever since my policy is a dealer gets a try and one follow up visit. There’s no third attempt.
Thanks, very good point. I trust this dealer and believe they are doing their best, however, that doesn't mean their transmission tech is the best around. I think I will try another just to be sure

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
I have (2022 XLT v8 4x4 ordered 2 Feb 22, delivered 11 Apr 22)some unusual gear noise while driving slow in gear 4. I assumed it is the heavy axle in my truck. As time goes by (12000 miles)it feels transmission related.
I seems to be related to the trans fluid pressure pump,

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Thanks, very good point. I trust this dealer and believe they are doing their best, however, that doesn't mean their transmission tech is the best around. I think I will try another just to be sure
Ask your dealer to reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM.). A lot of poor transmission performance issues are due to out of date software and several TSBs that address transmission issues call for new software as the remedy. Here is one: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214124-0001.pdf

Iconic22F150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat FX4 Iconic Silver
Occupation
Physical Security Supervisor
I have the hard down shifts from 4-3 sometimes. Spoke to a service writer and they were unaware of any 21-23 transmission issues. This gives me so much confidence *oozing sarcasm*. They wanted me to schedule a ride along with a transmission tech but I have had the time to so. I have 7500mi on the truck.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
As Jeb mentioned, there's often a PCM update available for these trucks and for some reason the dealerships don't consider it NORMAL to apply any/all drivability updates when they are troubleshooting a customer's complaints.

It's crazy if you think about it.
Ford creates the updates for your VIN for a reason!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I had all of the issues you described with my truck built in Jan 2022. Asked dealer to apply TSB updates and got the runaround. Thankfully, the recent OTA updates fixed the majority of my issues; shifting is noticeably smoother throughout, and ICE/EV transition seems better, too. The reverse shift clunk is still there and quite bad... I am assuming at this point it's a design issue with these transmissions.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I had all of the issues you described with my truck built in Jan 2022. Asked dealer to apply TSB updates and got the runaround. Thankfully, the recent OTA updates fixed the majority of my issues; shifting is noticeably smoother throughout, and ICE/EV transition seems better, too. The reverse shift clunk is still there and quite bad... I am assuming at this point it's a design issue with these transmissions.
There is a way to get dealers to apply PCM updates, but it requires some subtlety. If you just hand them a TSB and say “do this,” you’ll frequently get pushback unless you have a good relationship. So, what I used to do before I started doing my own updates is I’d read through the TSBs for my VIN, find one that called for a PCM update and then memorize the symptoms described in the TSB (for example, harsh 1-3 upshift or shuddering in upper gears under light throttle). Then I’d go to the dealer and describe describe my symptoms, changing the wording but preserving the substance of the TSB.. A little while later, they’d visit me in the waiting room and say “we found the issue in a TSB—you need new PCM software. Give us an hour.” Really? Imagine that! How fortunate for me that you figured it out. Thank you for your help. Done.
Sponsored