Sponsored

Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Hello there! I'd like to take a closer look at your truck's axel issues. Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer to get started?
Sooooooooooo... FMC is watching this thread. hmmmmmmmmmm...
Sponsored

Sealtech101

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
This axle quite likely doesn't need a redesign. I could be just batch of bolts with bad heat treat, or over-torque on assembly. I'm pretty sure we have yet to see a 22 with the failure.

Also, Ford regularly lists parts in the public catalog as assemblies, when you can get the parts separately using resources like the Service Manual. I remember seeing someone who posted the repair instructions, thought it looks like I failed to bookmark or save.

I have a 2022 F150 I just found this issue when repairing a flat.

Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? 20220722_100846
Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? 20220722_100810

Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? 20220722_100846

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Sorry to see you here in this thread; though, so far these are the best pictures of the broken bolt.

What is the mileage and powertrain of your truck?

Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Checking to see if I remember this correctly. Per earlier dealer comments, this is not a "required" component and we can keep driving with it broken or not broken.

Correct or am I losing more of my memory?

If correct and there are no forces acting on this bolt AND it's not "holding the axle together", what force is breaking it?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes

20220722_100846.jpg
After further review, this looks like the hub is being tilted perpendicularly to the drive shaft. Rotational forces would be hard to create in that splined assembly.

Last edited:

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
If correct and there are no forces acting on this bolt AND it's not "holding the axle together", what force is breaking it?
If there was play in the bearing, which should be centering the wheel and taking the loads parallel to the wheel, that would possibly overload the bolt? If the bolt is only supposed to keep the axle attached to the axle splines engaged (like the small nut and stud at the end of the front axles)

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
If there was play in the bearing, which should be centering the wheel and taking the loads parallel to the wheel, that would possibly overload the bolt?
Great observation. Now I'm thinking that is where we are getting the rocking motion that is fatiguing and breaking the bolt.

If the bolt is only supposed to keep the axle attached to the axle splines engaged (like the small nut and stud at the end of the front axles)
My huge concern: They've (Ford Dealer Service Departments) have told us breaking the bolt is no big deal. It appears they're trying to tell us FORD went with the "belt and suspenders" approach. FWIW and IMHO, I have to call "no joy" on that one. Why would Ford spend the money for machining and parts if it's not required to hold the whole enchilada together?

Last edited:

Sponsored

ArmorOfGod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Excursion, 2008 F350, 2019 F250,
Occupation
IT

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Is this the same issue and the official recall?

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V986000
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2021-2022 F-150 vehicles. Underbody heat and noise insulators may loosen and contact the aluminum driveshaft, which could damage the driveshaft and cause it to fracture.

(https://www.ntea.com/NTEA/Industry/Recalls/NHTSA-recalls-interest-January-2022.aspx#:~:text=NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V986000,and cause it to fracture.)
negative, not the same

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
My 2021 Lariat Powerboost is now impounded at the dealer. The axle bolt head sheared off and was rattling around in the passenger side rear wheel. Part on back order until mid to late June. Ford will not even diagnose all the other problems including the transmission until the axle is replaced. Claim it is unsafe to drive. Max Tow seems to be the common denominator.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I heard this grinding noise, after just getting my PB preowned. Sure enough, same bolt sheared off, passenger side rear. I smell a recall coming

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I heard this grinding noise, after just getting my PB preowned. Sure enough, same bolt sheared off, passenger side rear. I smell a recall coming
I'm getting closer to heading to the bone yard and looking for a wrecked 21-22 so I can pull the assembly apart to see what we're up against.
Sponsored