Sponsored

Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......?

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
I just brought my 2021 F150 PB with max tow axle in for a routine oil change, tire rotation and NY state inspection on 10/08/22 with 19,700 K. The service manager called and told me my truck was not safe to drive and that the axle bolt on my rear axle had sheared off and that more than likely I had been driving with it like this for awhile due to the evidence of some rust on the bolt. I was told that he emergency ordered a bolt and should have it in some time this week.

The service manager showed me the bolt which looks ridiculously undersized in my opinion (not an engineer) that sheered off. He said he was only ordering the bolt, and after reading the comments on here it sounds like the entire axle should be replaced? I am to say the least a little more than concerned about this. I mean, even he made the comment that it was a stupid design on Fords part (he's isn't an engineer either). My big concern here is that Ford doesn't seem to know exactly what the issue is, which is way scary. How do you definitively fix something without knowing what is causing the problem?

Has anyone had this corrected yet? And if so is it fine now or have you had the issue again?

The dealership loaned me an eco sport (new) which is the biggest POS I have driven in awhile, not to mentioned I look ridiculous in it, lol.

I will be filing a complaint with the NHTSA tomorrow and would suggest and ask anyone with this issue to do the same. This is my first Ford truck in many years(coming from GM) and this is a huge Bummer! I mean I went from loving the truck to being sick to my stomach not knowing if its going to kill me, someone I love (even worse) or someone else on the highway. Comments or answers to the questions I've posted would be appreciated. Thank you.
It will break again, then they will replace the axle shaft, this seems to be the 'script' they have to work with. I have put some decent milage on a new axle shaft without any further issues, so I'd say hopefully this is the permanent fix
Sponsored

rb304

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL FX4
It will break again, then they will replace the axle shaft, this seems to be the 'script' they have to work with. I have put some decent milage on a new axle shaft without any further issues, so I'd say hopefully this is the permanent fix
I got my truck back today, which is incredibly surprising. Originally, it sounded like they were going to try to fix just the bolt, but ended up replacing the axle. The service advisor said he believes a TSB was released for it, but I've been unable to locate one. So it appears they've stopped with the intermediate steps that don't work, and just replace the axle. However, not every dealer may jump to the axle right away, either, unless a TSB is out.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
The service advisor said he believes a TSB was released for it, but I've been unable to locate one.
Ten Gold Stars for the first to confirm and provide the reference number for a TSB applicable to this specific situation ;)

20 Gold Stars for posting a full copy of the TSB ;) ;)

Last edited:

Sundevil91911

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost Max Tow package
Hi All

Have had some issues with the electrics relating to the screen, door handles not unlocking etc so asked the dealer to look at it whilst in for a service.

I also told them about a rattle coming from my passenger side rear wheel that had been getting louder.

So I went in to pick up the truck at the end of the day after it being serviced and the rattle was a bigger issue than thought. The associate showed me a part from my axle that had clearly failed/sheared off and was floating around/rattling. By the rounding of the end of the bolt it had been like that for a while.

2022-02-16 17.01.51.jpg
2022-02-16 17.01.56.jpg

They wouldn't give me back the truck as it was deemed unsafe to drive and told me that they would investigate a replacement part and look into it further....

Today I'm told a case has been raised with Ford as it's a design issue and alternative solutions are being investigated rather than putting the same part back in again..... along with replacing the axle....

As they aren't telling me very much, does anyone know what this actually bolts to/does on the hub/axle?

Thanks
Changed out axel and bearing housing when I asked advisor about what Ford is doing about the problem he offered no answer.

Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? C0312BE1-AD00-429D-88E1-C11875D28E92

Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? 80F95D1D-DC5F-48BD-8DCA-8D3D1F85BF48

Sponsored

MadManMoon

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150, '21 MME GTPE, '07 GT500
Wife's truck just had this happen as well. She heard the noise for a few weeks and the dealer found it when we brought it in for its first oil change (9,400 miles). Same issue—bolt sheared off, new axle assembly ordered, should be here Friday. Our tech said he's seen quite a few of these, but it's odd there's no TSB yet.

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Question for the smart folks in this thread. What would you think about welding the bolt and washer together, making it one assembly? Could that possible introduce more stability at this assembly point?

JPMCG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 XLT, 2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Hello -
So, the 2.7 payload package includes the 9.75" gear set with 3.73:1 electronic locking diff. Does anyone know if that config is the same as these with the breaking bolts? Anyone hear of this bolt issue with the 2.7 payload pack? I have this on order but might change back to the standard 8.8 inch 3.55 rather than experience this problem.
Thanks,
Jim

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
the 2.7 payload package includes the 9.75" gear set with 3.73:1 electronic locking diff. Does anyone know if that config is the same as these with the breaking bolts?
It is not. Yours will be the 9.75" semi-floating axle, not the 9.75" 3/4 float axle that has the sometimes problematic bolt. They are distinctly different, when you pop a rear wheel center cap off you will not see any bolt at the end of your axle.

JPMCG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 XLT, 2016 Mustang GT Convertible
thanks Buyer
here is my take on what is causing this issue. too bad Ford can't seem to get their stuff together on this.

Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? Capture.JPG

Sponsored

Indoraptor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4
Well I just got the call I have the same issue, passenger rear, 21 PB, Job 1 truck (think May-June 21 Build date) ~16k miles at the time I first noticed the noise, ~18k miles at the time of service. Don’t judge me to harshly but I was busy lol. I didn’t have any wobble, only sounded like a dragging brake, only made the squealing noise under light braking or acceleration. Heavy breaking and the noise would stop and some times I wouldn’t even hear it on acceleration. So I thought it was a dragging brake or stuck caliper that wouldn’t fully retract. I was wrong, lol. They have the axle but the bolt won’t be in until next week. Beau Townsend Ford in Vandalia, Ohio has been great!!

Indoraptor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4
Well I just got the call I have the same issue, passenger rear, 21 PB, Job 1 truck (think May-June 21 Build date) ~16k miles at the time I first noticed the noise, ~18k miles at the time of service. Don’t judge me to harshly but I was busy lol. I didn’t have any wobble, only sounded like a dragging brake, only made the squealing noise under light braking or acceleration. Heavy breaking and the noise would stop and some times I wouldn’t even hear it on acceleration. So I thought it was a dragging brake or stuck caliper that wouldn’t fully retract. I was wrong, lol. They have the axle but the bolt won’t be in until next week. Beau Townsend Ford in Vandalia, Ohio has been great!!
Thanks for sharing your experience, this exact issue just started happening to my '22 PB with max tow. I thought for sure it was brake related but under very light acceleration it can be heard

PlatDrG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 4x4 PowerBoost
Same issue here folks! Had it for a few weeks so took the cap off today after viewing this post to see the broken bolt. Calling dealer for a tow as certainly not going to drive in now.
Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? 20240302_171221

PlatDrG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 4x4 PowerBoost
Same issue here folks! Had it for a few weeks so took the cap off today after viewing this post to see the broken bolt. Calling dealer for a tow as certainly not going to drive in now.
20240302_171221.jpg
Dropped off waiting on eta. Nice to have app monitoring location for any movement. No loaners available and wasn't told ext service plan only covered Ford vehicle for rental. Of course none available at Enterprise. Grrr
Sponsored