Sponsored

Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......?

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
I'm getting closer to heading to the bone yard and looking for a wrecked 21-22 so I can pull the assembly apart to see what we're up against.
That would be really appreciated!!!
Sponsored

n00dler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB Lariat
Occupation
Mechanic Shop Owner
Had my driver side rear axle bolt sheer off at 13800 miles. Requested the dealership service writer to check for wheel bearing play. When I went to pick up the truck after they replaced the bolt under warranty I had asked if they did that, they could not confirm that their tech did. I requested that they check that about 4 times, in person and over the phone.
They argued with me that the wheel bearing is ok because the screeching noise is gone. I work on cars for a living. I know the wheel bearing is bad. The axle bolt is just aligning the rotor back in position and relieving the screeching noise symptom. They’re arguing that they have 40 years of experience and they will not inspect it further unless I paid for it. They said since I didn’t buy the truck from them, they’re putting their customers first and they will not service my truck anymore. Service manger also made an assumption that I “took a wrench to it”. The wheel bearing is now making a clicking sound 8 miles since I picked up the truck.
Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? DE5C3714-26E2-44B0-815E-FED4434D2E38

Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? 549483C9-941B-4F0B-B40C-3CDDAF6586DD

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...They said since I didn’t buy the truck from them, they’re putting their customers first and they will not service my truck anymore....
Sounds like the disservice manager from the dealership I bought my truck from, who are a bunch of useless gaslighting dickweeds that will spend 200% of the effort of fixing the problem to make excuses for why they are not fixing it. I even have an email from a Ford regional tech explaining to them what they needed to do; yet the losers still couldn’t get their act together. I wound up having to take my truck an hour farther away to another place where they fixed it in less than 15 minutes!

You are better off not going there and just count yourself lucky that you’re not one of the mechanics that works with those clowns all day every day. I would have caused a scene if that dude accused me of ‘putting a wrench to’ the hub and told him that there was no need; because the only bolt holding it on had broken off and you don’t even need to take the wheel off for a cursory inspection of the wheel bearing.

Do some research and find another dealership and open a case with Ford. The SOP on the sheared axle bolt has been to replace the entire axle and hub assembly. I think mainly because of the excess axial play that results from the bolt shearing and then the only thing holding the wheel on is the brake caliper.

Good luck with your truck and sorry to hear about your shenanigans with the dealership!

jpsutka

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
2021 F150 PowerBoost, MaxTow, built May 27, 2021
At about 50,000 kms started to hear slight grinding, scraping noise from passenger side… pulled wheel and found the axle bolt broken. The pulled drivers side, bolt was intact and looked normal. Will let dealership know tomorrow.
Ford F-150 Can anyone tell me what this is (part failure on axle)......? B1B07892-71B0-4798-A66A-0B679E886D47

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Since this is a safety issue, owners with this failure need to file a complaint with the NHTSA.GOV. If NHTSA gets enough, they will require Ford to put out a recall notice.

Sponsored

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost - Leadfoot
2021 job 1 build with max tow powerboost -rear right sheared off on Saturday.

does anyone know if there is a way to check the driver side? is anyone getting replacement for the other side that sheared?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
So new developments in my sheared bolt story. I had the bolt extracted and replaced last week (or two two). Driving up north and I hear the same dragging brake screeching again. Pull over and pop the Ford logo plastic off, bolt is still there, put a 3/8 ratchet with the right socket on and probably put a 1/4 turn on it... Seemed to make it go away for a while, then it returned.

What is the torque supposed to be on this bolt? Seems like something I shouldn't be able to turn with side-of-the-road hand tools. Might need to lift it up and put some locktite blue on it and retorque when I get home? If it's at the spec it's supposed to be then back to the dealer it'll need to go.

Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
If it were me, I might go with the red Loctite. I really only use the blue stuff on smaller fasteners and bicycle parts.
Would be red for me too, especially on a part where I can use a pencil torch to add high heat if/when it needs removing.

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B
So new developments in my sheared bolt story. I had the bolt extracted and replaced last week (or two two). Driving up north and I hear the same dragging brake screeching again. Pull over and pop the Ford logo plastic off, bolt is still there, put a 3/8 ratchet with the right socket on and probably put a 1/4 turn on it... Seemed to make it go away for a while, then it returned.

What is the torque supposed to be on this bolt? Seems like something I shouldn't be able to turn with side-of-the-road hand tools. Might need to lift it up and put some locktite blue on it and retorque when I get home? If it's at the spec it's supposed to be then back to the dealer it'll need to go.
Took it to the dealer, it's been really wet the past couple days here and noticed it went away and told them they're probably going to not be able to duplicate it... and sure enough they weren't able to... We'll see what's the next play here.

AndrewMC

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
FF/EMT-B

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
If it returns again I'll remove, red locktite and and send it to 100ftlbs... this is a weird issue. We'll have a recall on this soon I'm sure
I believe the bolt is torque to yield and must/"should be" replaced every time. I used "should be" because most of us have re-used such a bolt but IMHO, for this location, it really needs to be new.
Sponsored