What is this noise?

dbryant19092

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Hey y’all, new here. I have a 22 f150 tremor w/3.5 eco. Now that the freezing temps are in my area I have had a weird metal pinging noise from the tranny/flywheel area that lasts maybe a second or two. However this past 6 degree morning I have a video of the noise it was making and I am concerned. Shields and bolts looked tight and never makes noise once it’s warm so you would think if it’s shield it would do it more regularly. Sounds like there is not fluid 🤨 I had the tranny flushed at 5,000 miles and filter change to be safe, and truck has 18k now. When it’s warm the noise goes away and seems to shift fine. Appreciate any help!

Sponsored

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 w/ 5.0
Sounds like it vibrates with the tone of your exhaust. Does it speed up when you rev it?

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
It sounds like a loose underbody plate or exhaust clamp

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There's been more than a few 10r80 transmissions delivered from the factory with fluid level not proper for a coldstart. There's also a fella that recently had his coldstart 10r80 noise fix by the dealership dropping the pan and discovering a seal/boot of some kind not properly installed and it collapsing due to the suction increase with cold fluid.

My point being that since you mentioned it was "serviced", it's possible you might not have the perfect fluid level.........

It's a very difficult transmission to get the level proper on because the service manual states that the transmission should be at 205-215F with the engine running when you check the fluid level.

If you enable the digital temperature reading on the instrument cluster you will discover just how difficult it is to get that transmission over 200F!

You gotta drive it for quite a while and I don't believe the average tech is going to take the time.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked up the "seals" in play regarding the transmission filter.
I also remember seeing a video related and it was mentioned that it's easy to pinch/crush/damage the seal during a filter drop and reinstall

Ford F-150 What is this noise? Screenshot_20221226_100216_OneDrive

Ford F-150 What is this noise? Screenshot_20221226_100128_OneDrive

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Wondering why the trans was flushed and filter changed at 5K miles.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same reason some change there oil at 500 miles or less? :)

I realize not everyone would find it desirable, but I can understand the approach.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Same reason some change there oil at 500 miles or less? :)

I realize not everyone would find it desirable, but I can understand the approach.
I guess I’m in the minority. 🙂

No dipstick under the hood and “sealed for life” tells me it should be pretty much maintenance-free.

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
I guess I’m in the minority. 🙂

No dipstick under the hood and “sealed for life” tells me it should be pretty much maintenance-free.
No dipstick under the hood and “sealed for life” tells me that Ford likes to sell replacement parts and new trucks. There is no such thing as "maintenance-free" machinery.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you are someone who keeps a modern vehicle during the factory or extended warranty period, then I can see following the manufacturers MINIMUM recommendations.

I emphasized minimum because that IS what many/most of their recommendations are. And they are only on the hook during the warranty period, so their incentive is very different than someone who might want to get the longest life possible out of their investment.

Servicing the various fluids in the F150's major components is much less expensive than the components are themselves. Front & Rear Differentials, transfer case, transmission, and of course the engine oil...... I'm just not wired to see how far I can go without touching them.

I can appreciate that not everyone would feel the same way though.

OP
OP
dbryant19092

dbryant19092

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Update: the noise does not go up or down with reving the engine. I checked all the heat shields and things that could be rattling. It definitely sounded like it was internal and in the pan/center of the tranny for a period of time. Then went away after couple minutes. Well before metal got warm or hot to expand and make a rattle noises go away from something loose.

Now that it’s not below freezing “cold cold” it hasn’t made that noise again. However, it makes this rattle noise every cold start for just a few seconds. Not matter the temp.

I had it serviced because I was reading that some of these transmissions were coming low on fluid from factory and just wanted to be safe. Had some hard shifts that concerned me a little and they went away after service. Plus wanted a piece of mind and a bonus of replacing the filter after break shavings. I know what they say about modern shit and I don’t buy it. I got the filter from the dealer and cut it open, very happy I changed it.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Call me old-school, but unless you consider a vehicles lifetime to be 100k miles, there is no such thing as lifetime fluids.

Last edited:

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I dunno about you guys but I do all my service myself so it’s basically free. (Also gets me out of doing chores inside the house..)

Last time I got an oil change at the dealer it cost me almost 200 bucks of Ford pass points!!

In every car I own I change my trans and diff fluids every 50K miles. Including my Oldsmobile which has 130K miles on the original engine and trans. If the new vehicles are better maybe I’ll hit a million miles!

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
That noise sounds exactly like the noise I had leading to finding the fluid level low. This noise occurred at low temperatures. As to changing fluid at intervals more frequent than "lifetime," I have followed the rule that changing fluids gets manufacturing debris out and lengthens machinery lifetimes. Turns out that Ford, in setting up the 10R80 transmission plant, sought to achieve an industry first with very high standards of cleanliness. Still, I'd have changed fluid frequently (eg ~ 15-20,000 miles). I helped get three sons through college by a 1992 Suburban that went 30 years. So, I've sought to do that with my F-150. One dealer I went to about that noise told me it took two people, one at the steering wheel and one underneath the truck to properly check levels (And he got it right the first time, BTW). Whether it really takes two or not, checking level is darn difficult. I infer part of the reason is that this 10 speed unit has lots of nooks and crannies that can have air bubbles trapped, so checking the level correctly is really, really important.
Sponsored